Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books I have a shotgun question, need expert opinions

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    rifle

Re: I have a shotgun question, need expert opinions

Good on you for thinking about getting a scattergun.

Benelli has always had a reputation for building good firearms, but a bit over-complicated, in my humble, gunsmith opinion. But If you aren’t planning to break them down to tiny pieces, then you’re golden! Just have a good gunsmith clean it every year or so, depending on how much you shoot it. Not that you couldn’t do basic operator cleaning, but the gunsmith will detail strip it, check for worn/broken or factory recommended replacement parts.

I echo the very sage advice here and practice, practice, practice! And get some training. I personally do dry-fire practice drills a LOT. Especially now that the ammo prices have gone up. Even reloading isn’t very cost effective anymore.

As to your questions…

I prefer a pistol-grip on a defensive shotgun, for a couple of reasons. First, It’s easier to hold the shotgun one-handed on the shoulder while you have to manipulate something; a door, a cell phone, protect a loved one, and you can still keep the gun up and fire, if needed. Also I feel that a pistol grip gives me a more stable position when firing. With a traditional stocked shotgun, they sometimes feel as if it wants to slip through my hand a bit, especially with heavy recoiling loads.

For your shell carrier question: I recommend keeping everything as simple a possible. The more you keep off the gun, the lighter and quicker it will be to manage. About the only items I’d add to a home defense shotgun is a good light, like a Surefire, and a sling. Add night sights if you really want to. You are probably going to have somewhere like 5 or so rounds in the gun. 99.9% of dirtballs are either going to be a) dead; b) running like hell or c) crapping down both legs after the first shot. You probably aren’t acting in a police or other LE role so the number of rounds you’re gonna need is pretty low. If you expect sustained firefights then I suggest that you move to a different State and make a lot of friends that have guns, like the Marines. :D:

Lastly, be sure to play a lot of “what if” and have a plan. Discuss and practice scenarios with your family, or who ever lives in your home. Also, know your local and State laws.

Just my .02 cents.

Good luck!

Rifle

kirsten

Great post Rifle! I am glad to see that you addressed the “action plan”. This is a great reminder for everyone.

“scattergun”… haven’t heard that in so long… It’s like music to my ears… feels good to be among my people!

lynn

Great Post. Kristen is right on on TR and on the tactical light situation. When buying a tactical light, make sure you get a light with a permanently on position, also. I have done many entries over the years with weapons that are push button only, and your grip gets very tired. Shop around. Tact lights for long guns can get pretty expensive (I’ve seen them up to $600).

As far as weapon choice. I love a basic Mod 870. Tried and proven. You can also keep it in what is called “Cruiser Ready.” Whith the weapon empty, make sure the firing pin is dropped (pull the trigger). Then load only the mag tube. The 870 will be able to be loaded by only a slide of the forestock, no need to pull the release. Makes things very quick, safer and simple. By the way the plastic shell holders that mount on the side are a good way to collect condensation (I found out the hard way).

unstpabl1

Isn’t a Mossberg or a Remington a much cheaper and simpler option?

drlvegas

quote unstpabl1:

Isn’t a Mossberg or a Remington a much cheaper and simpler option?

That’s what I was thinking. I have an 870 HD with the Surefire foreend–I think it was about $500 combined. The 870 has been used by LE forever, so it’s reliability has been tested.

michael

I’ve got two Remington 870’s. One a department issued police magnum that stays in the cruiser and one marine magnum for my house shotgun. The PM is bone stock, and all I have added to it is a sling and butt cuff. The MM has an extended mag tube, butt cuff, synthetic stocks, and a tritium bead front sight. Both have been flawless and are excellent SG’s.

The Mossberg 590 is an excellent gun as well, and the one thing I like about it over the Remington is the location of the safety. I carried one of these for years as my cruiser gun, and it was flawless as well.

Either will serve you well.

unstpabl1

Thanks. I’m not a shooter, but everything I’ve read seems to say KISS(Keep It Simple…..) i know all these guys with these hi-end SWAT approved 45’s that always seem to be in the shop or buy these new design guns that are finicky in what they’ll feed. It just seems that functionality and a proven track record is the priority. Like krav, its not so much how good it looks but if it works.

Michael are the Mossberg and Remington under $400? And for Home defense do they need any mods or good to go out of the box

Also any thoughts on shotgun for living in an apartment?

kmokla

I assume that ur referring to the Mossberg 500 and Remington Model 870 short barrel
    models with 18-20 inch barrels-yes they are good to go out of the box
    You will see modified shotguns for defense, but at this point, your money is best spent on ammunition and learning how to shoot. skill is more important than what equipment you r using

unstpabl1

quote KMOkla:

I assume that ur referring to the Mossberg 500 and Remington Model 870 short barrel
    models with 18-20 inch barrels-yes they are good to go out of the box
    You will see modified shotguns for defense, but at this point, your money is best spent on ammunition and learning how to shoot. skill is more important than what equipment you r using

Holy Crap:tantrum: They got Krav Maga in Oklahoma:confused: And A NBA team. Keep that up and Starbucks will move there;):

Yeah. I guess its a 500 series in the Mossberg but I’m not sure. I’m partial to the name because I had an actor/biker friend who died last year. His name was Moss Mossberg. I use to always say his name with a seperation between the names and a racking of the shell movement and sound effect. So I may lean toward it for that reason. Then I can say my buddy Moss protects me:beer:

Any way your advice is sound. First post and I’m giving you a rep point. Good start. Welcome

chunkymonkey

quote Rifle:

I echo the very sage advice here and practice, practice, practice! And get some training.

AMEN! Every morning and night I draw from my duty holster to keep the mechanics fresh. I use a Threat Level III Raptor from Safari Land. That practice at home and drilling on the range makes it second nature to introducing my weapon. I had a weird moment tuesday night where it was required and I don’t recall even thinking of each stage as I pulled it out. It was comforting that it was a nice fluid movement.

Pistol, knife, taser, shotgun, whatever you pick, just practice.

michael

quote unstpabl1:

Thanks. I’m not a shooter, but everything I’ve read seems to say KISS(Keep It Simple…..) i know all these guys with these hi-end SWAT approved 45’s that always seem to be in the shop or buy these new design guns that are finicky in what they’ll feed. It just seems that functionality and a proven track record is the priority. Like krav, its not so much how good it looks but if it works.

Michael are the Mossberg and Remington under $400? And for Home defense do they need any mods or good to go out of the box

Also any thoughts on shotgun for living in an apartment?

Mike,

Either one is GTG out of the box. If you’re going with a Mossberg, I would spend the extra $$ & get the 590. It was designed for military use and is sturdier than the 500. A 500 would work and is still durable, but the 590 is stout. You can still get a 590 for under 500 I believe, and certainly on the used market. You can sometimes find a 500 or a Remington 870 for around 250.00 or so. I paid 350.00 for my 870, but it’s got all the bells and whistles, though I bought it used.

As far as apartment use goes, overpenetration with any firearm is an issue, but one that is cured with proper shot placement. Training is key with any firearm. Just remember than underpenetration is the greatest cause of bullet failure, and some may recommend something less than 00 buck because you are in an apartment, but I would not. Load it with 00, IMO.

Hope this helps.

unstpabl1

Thanks buddy:beer:

Would dummying it down to 20 guage offer any advantage for an apartment

kmokla

lololol-maybe when clay bennett gets thru moving the team to OK, he’ll buy out Starbucks-anyway, thanks for the kind words
    reply to 20 gauge in apartment question- I seem to recall a cop telling me that yes, the pellets can penetrate the walls, but the good news is that
    shotgun pellets do not spread as much as people believe-take it out to the range and see how much it will spread at the ranges you anticipate.
    you may find that at close range, the shot will spread so little that you’re firing a slug ,for all intents and purposes, but don’t take my word for it, check it out at the range.

michael

quote unstpabl1:

As far as overpenetration—not really. Either will go through walls. The 20 gauge does have much softer recoil, and is more manageable for some folks, but it’s greatest limiting factor is the lack of available defensive ammo for it. Not nearly the selection that a 12 gauge has.

rifle

quote unstpabl1:

I would suggest staying with a 12 ga. for a couple of reasons. First, ammo is going to be easy to find almost anywhere. Second, your selection of ammo types is going to be better as well. You would be amazed at the different types of ammo out there (But stay away from the gimmicky specialty rounds). Also, often times I’ve found 12 ga actually cheaper than the 20 ga stuff. Sheer volume, I suppose.

There’s even reduced-recoil loads for the 12 ga as well, if you’re concerned about recoil.

As a side-note: I have a “go bag” next to my bed as well. It sorta follows me around the house when I’m home. It’s got tools that I might need in a bad situation. It’s got a level 3A armor panel from one of my old body armor vests in it so I could use it as a core “shield” if needed, my glock 22, an extra AR mag, a trauma kit (basic) OC (pepper spray) handcuffs, a couple of flex cuffs, two handheld lights, my cell phone, keys and a pair of electronic eay muffs. (You have not heard loud until you touch off a rifle in a hallway w/o ear protection…..)

This is my “Honey, I just heard a noise in the living room, can you go see what it is?” bag Or something to that affect.

Just some ideas.

Rifle

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: