Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics I know it’s been discussed before…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    cmchick04

Hey everyone! My husband and I are taking our level 1 test in about a month. According to the million questions we’ve asked our instructors, our test is about 2 – 2.5 hrs long. He’s told us to come in with a positive attitude and not to stop for anything. Any other wisdom you can share?

THANKS!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Hydrate! Make sure you don’t have low blood sugar so bring snacks and a change of shirt for each hour is usually a good rule.

Most importantly is to bring a positive mental attitude and you‘ll do fine.

Good Luck!

kravmaga-ism

I thought lvl1 was 4 hours???

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

lvl 1 at NTC was 5hrs of seminar and 1 hr test when I took it.

mara-jade

Yeah, mine was at least 4 hours that I remember :Surprised:

Carb up the night before – that’s what our instructors told us since test day the last thing you need be worried about is eating too much. Also, DON’T STOP like was said before. Right or wrong, keep going.

Good luck!!!:wav:

cmchick04
    quote KravMaga-ism:

I thought lvl1 was 4 hours???

As far as I know, we have no seminar. The 2 hrs is all test…

bradm

As I remember when I took my level-1 a few years ago, we did not have a seminar either. Our instructors began preparing us for the test about a week in advance. Our actual test was about 3-hours long – non-stop from start to finish. We did get a couple short breathers and a water break when we were changing pads, gloves, etc.

Our Krav test was in the morning and I had made the stupid mistake of agreeing to take my 2nd Degree Black Belt test in Taekwondo that same afternoon. I had about enough time to change out of my Krav clothes and put my TKD uniform on (about a 30 – 45 minute break). I passed my Krav test easily. But, I was so tired for my TKD test, I almost failed it. Near the end of the TKD test, I had to spar four other Blackbelts. I thought I was going to collapse I was so tired. When I got home, I just threw a pellow on the floor and crashed for a couple hours. The next day I was pretty sore all over.

evo8

Even the seminar part of it is pretty harsh especially in level 1 where they really test your stamina and aggressiveness. At least that’s what i remember when i took mine at the NTC.

johnl-d11

Our last level 1 test at the school was close to 3.5 hours.. about half of a workshop, the other half of pure hel… the test. 😀 Accelerade will be your friend, probably 1 and a half bottles of it. A few hours before the test, start sipping on water. You can suffer performance loss of up to 30% being dehydrated, so drink drink drink.

kravmdjeff

Re: I know it’s been discussed before…

This came from John Whitman when i asked him for some advice on an instructor certificaiton-don’t treat it like a test. Treat it like an especially hard training session…do the same things you would during a really difficult class, and you’ll do fine. In other words, as hard as it is to do, try to ignore the fact that you’re getting evaluated, and just train the way you normally do. Assuming you work hard in class and you know the material, you’ll do fine!

kravmaga-ism

quote JohnL:

Our last level 1 test at the school was close to 3.5 hours.. about half of a workshop, the other half of pure hel… the test. 😀 Accelerade will be your friend, probably 1 and a half bottles of it. A few hours before the test, start sipping on water. You can suffer performance loss of up to 30% being dehydrated, so drink drink drink.

is gatorade the official drink of KM?

mara-jade

quote KravMaga-ism:

is gatorade the official drink of KM?

Dang, I hope not..read somewhere that stuff is worse than soda as far as your teeth goesOhMy

craig-p

Check out http://www.WellnessZoneNutrition.com

Among all the healthy supplements and nutrition bars are the sports drinks. There is one Sugar Free Orange, Zero Carbs Zero Sugar but lotsa Electroytes – Sodium and Potassium to help keep you properly hydrated, and a blend of B vitamins for energy production.

vwr32

quote Craig P:

Check out http://www.WellnessZoneNutrition.com

Among all the healthy supplements and nutrition bars are the sports drinks. There is one Sugar Free Orange, Zero Carbs Zero Sugar but lotsa Electroytes – Sodium and Potassium to help keep you properly hydrated, and a blend of B vitamins for energy production.

Arrrghhh. I can’t help myself… another supplement discussion!

Had to check out the url and sports drink recommendation because I’m into that sort of stuff, always looking for new things. A couple of points… XS is made by Quixtar, which is also known as Amway. I’ve only tried it a couple times, it’s on par with other sports/energy drinks as for the added B vitamins and fairly low potassium content. Decent flavor too.

If you like it, great! It’s not a debate, i’m not trying to change anyone’s mind. At one point someone turned me on to something different, I’m just passing on the info for anyone open to trying something new.

The sodium should be present in a sports drink, but it’s so prevalent in other sources I’m really not too concerned having a lot in my sports drink. Potassium on the other hand, comes from some of the more healthy foods which most people probably don’t get enough of to begin with. So that’s where I look.

XS Clearly Sugar Free Orange has 110 mg of sodium. That’s not excessive. But it only has 35mg of potassium. I like the selenium in there, but the low potassium content leaves a lot to be desired imo.

I like the O.N.E. all natural coconut water as a “supplement” to my hydration. Regular bottled water handles the bulk of the hydration, but I keep a container of ONE as a mid-exercise or post exercise refueler. Yes, it has 60 calories, but u need them and it’s a natural source (not added sugar). It has 35mg of sodium, and 670 mg of potassium. (Low sodium V8 has more potassium than that, but I couldn’t see chugging that down during an exercise routine.) Also has 3 other electrolytes (Calcium 40mg, Phosphorus 17mg, and Magnesium 25mg) and one gram of protein.

I find it in the local supermarket in the health/organic section. About $1.80 per 11oz container. I’ve also seen other brands, the important part is that it is “all natural” coconut water. I guess u can get them online if you can’t find them locally.
    http://www.onenaturalexperience.com/whatisone/index.php

They list some of the health benefits of coconut water too:

quote :

O.N.E.ô is excellent for replacing lost electrolytes from exercise and illness.
    O.N.E.ô is a natural isotonic beverage ñ contains a similar level of electrolytes found in human blood.
    O.N.E.ô has 15 times the amount of potassium as most sports and energy drinks. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure and heart function.
    O.N.E.ô regulates the functioning of the intestine which can help to promote digestive health.
    O.N.E.ô can help promote smoother, more hydrated skin.
    O.N.E.ô can help reduce problems for infants suffering from intestinal disturbances.
    O.N.E.ô is an effective oral rehydration medium and keeps the body cool.
    O.N.E.ô is an all natural sports drink, energy drink and hangover cure.
    Coconut Water is non-allergenic
    O.N.E.ô is cholesterol free and coconut water has shown to help prevent the formation of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)

For all the “supplements” I take, this one is my favorite. I wish gyms would stock this alongside the RedBulls and Accelerade options.

nosborne

Wow, mine was 6 hrs long.

I find that serious hydration for 2-3 days before, and carbing the night before works best for me. Eat a good breakfast that morning, but stay away from grease. I also brought carby/protien snacks and bananas for the 5 min brake that we had about half way thru.

Have fun and don’t stop.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: