Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Keysi Fighting Method

• This topic has 41 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by ryan.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Anyone familiar with it? I can’t seem to find much info in the States, and certainly nothing in AZ.

kirk

Re: Keysi Fighting Method

Isn’t that the self defense system developed by two guys over sea’s that is featured in the new(er) Batman movies?

If so nothing in the States. I researched this when the first Batman movie came out. I think they eventually did some instructional DVD’s that you can buy.

That’s it. I guess it was also used in MI3. I checked out a few videos of the style and I think it might have some appeal for Krav folks. Very different methods, but the same basic principles, I think. I also checked out the official KFM web site, but they seem to be under construction on a lot of the links, so not much help there.

mattp

The latest BLACK BELT Magazine has an article about them, their system and their involvement in Batman. Pictures of techniques included. Seems pretty cool.

ryan

I trained with these guys this past weekend. Some interesting stuff. Very aggressive. Nice enough guys.

kvmorl

quote Ryan:

I trained with these guys this past weekend. Some interesting stuff. Very aggressive. Nice enough guys.

Whats your opinion of this system on street effectiveness?

I haven’t seen any weapons defenses, do they have that implemented?

ryan

There are elements that are very good. Almost all of the entries are off of high covers (Dutch covers, helmet, crazy monkey, thinking man, whatever.) This is a great (and relatively instinctive) way to do things if there is no knife involved, which is of course the problem.

I didn’t see any weapon work, but it is a part of the system. I am going to do a bit more with them, and I will be happy to report back here.

So does that mean they’re trying to expand this to the States, Ryan? If so, did they give you any idea of a timeline?

jesse

I guess the one thing that looked a little strange to me was how often they would head butt the other guy in some of the videos that I found. In a couple of them they were using head butts to the chest and other areas. The rest of it looked good, but I just don’t know how many times I want my brain to go slosh. I would use a head butt in a heartbeat, but I prefer to use it on their face or a sensitive target.

garddawg

So don’t stomp me because I’m getting involved with a technique question…..LOL I really like this style of fighting, as Ryan points out it has a lot of different names. I’ve used it very effectively as have several students. The problem as Ryan points out is the knife. To deal with that you have to recognize that a knife is in play and adjust accordingly. That is a huge problem in a self defense system and one of the reasons I love KM.

ryan

Dude, are you lost? 😉

Good to hear from you, dawg. The high covers are GREAT for fighting, but seriously lacking when it comes to the blade.

Nick, yes. I’m not sure about timeframes.

Jesse, remember video clips are typically shown to illustrate possibilities. They are moments in time, and I believe are used here conceptually, to get people thinking a bit outside the box. The face isn’t always available, and some of the less traditional strikes may serve to make it so. That said, given my druthers, I’d rather strike the chin/jaw as well.

If you check out the very little posted on YouTube, you can see there are different fighting levels (meaning, it’s not all headbutts and elbows; there’s also quite a bit of groundwork and kicks- high and low levels).
    Damn it! I really want to try this with someone in Tucson. I can’t find diddly squat here.

ds314

I watched the one of the demo on their site. Seem gimmicky. With all the head covering the groin looks really exposed.

DS314

ryan

I don’t see the connection between head covering and the groin. Beyond that, one could likely take any one snippet of video from any system and find something to criticize in that vacuum.

nate

This seems to be popping up all over again because of the new Batman movie …

I guess they have the occasional seminar here and there in the US (2 in New York later this year). I’d be interested to check it out – it’s a modified JKD system as I remember?

I’ve heard the groundwork in the system is somewhat minimal, but that’s not uncommon. It appears to have some glaring holes, but I really can’t tell much from watching youtube videos.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: