Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    kevin-mack

Re: Kick Defenses

my response that you quoted was in reference to the authoritarian nature of that statement by kpalena…that the “stabbing defense was for when you are in a bad position” and thats not really true so..I dont really know what we are talking about right now.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

LOL it’s late buddy 😉

mi-brmma

For round kick defense (low), I think absorb & counter is the way to go. You won’t (or shouldn’t) be taking the amount of punishment to the legs in self defense as you would in competition. Checking kicks can mess with your balance (not good) plus lead to some nasty training injuries if shin/shin or shin/knee contact is made, even with shin/instep guards.

Besides, what’s more fun than taking & giving inside/outside low kicks to warm up for class?

kpalena

quote Kevin Mack:

my response that you quoted was in reference to the authoritarian nature of that statement by kpalena…that the “stabbing defense was for when you are in a bad position” and thats not really true so..I dont really know what we are talking about right now.

Authoritarian? How so? The stabbing defense against a front kick/groin kick is most effective when you are out of position, bent over for example. The op’s question delt with his concern over the effectiveness of the stabbing defense. Is this not correct? I just wanted to provide some context….

kevin-mack

The stabbing defense is a legit defense from any postion..granted it may be easier from a bent over position but it is just as good from a fighting stance. I train with a student of Imi’s and we have never trained that defense from a bent over position..only from a fighting and neutral stance.

evo8

yeah, i wasn’t a big fan of this defense either, but i understand why it’s taught. From what i remember, the natural reaction for most people is to block with their hands reaching down. Since Krav builds techniques from these reflex maneuvers, we are taught to block with our arms. much like how we learn the pluck defense against a front choke because most people react by trying to grab the attackers hands/wrists.

leejam99

its the best defense if it works the best for you…doesn’t matter what position. if it doesn’t work for you…don’t use it.

people should train this from fight stance and bad position. what if your in a fight/figting stance but you hurt your shine/foot so much than you can’t afford to block the groan kick with it….even though your in fighting stance, you’re only other choice would be to use this defense. or get out of the way of course.

kevin-mack

I also think the best defense for a groin kick is the inside defense(parry with body defense) the same defense we use for gun/bayonet. We use that defense for so many things in KM that I would prefer someone have that down pat.Plus I think its the best defense for the situation.

ryan

Given the opportunity, I’d rather defend kicks with legs. The legs are stronger, and dropping the hands can be problematic.

kevin-mack

I don’t really like using my legs to defend kicks that much anymore but thats a personal thing.I used to train with Carmelo Marrero who fights in the UFC and IFL.We used to just lightly spar but do to his size and strength..everytime I would check his kicks I would be knocked backwards…..and that was going light.It was at that point I started to take the advice of certain choices to train the right cross as a kick defense in a fight and of course the defense I mentioned above for a front kick.

ryan

Kevin, for self defense, I actually prefer to absorb low rounds, since there shouldn’t be a “trading” of multiple kicks in that context. I’m less of a fan of checking kicks, for the reason you articulated, but in the case of the FKG, it’s a redirection, not a stop or a block.

I would also prefer to counter with the right cross against a round kick, but if we are talking about a skilled fighter, he’s throwing that kick if you are moving back, which makes a good right hand difficult.

kevin-mack

plus..your timing has to be on point for the right cross counter which is a drill I like to work a lot.I Picked up this preference from Matt Thornton.

ryan

Remember though, Thornton’s like 8 feet tall!

kpalena

quote Ryan:

Given the opportunity, I’d rather defend kicks with legs. The legs are stronger, and dropping the hands can be problematic.

I guess that is where I am comming from too. If I can..I will stop-kick most round and front kicks…unless my partner is super fast. I guess I just feel like…and my instructor teends to lean this way also, that you should use an economy of movement. If my foot is 18″ away and my hand is 32″ away….just use the foot…. I have only used the stabbing defence when my hands are already down there…like I am bent over or I am shooting in and my partner kicks…

does this make sense? It is hard to explain in this format.

sunstar

How about this: defend a round kick with a front kick. The front kick should get there before the opponents round kick (hopefully?) and take a lot of the steam out of a round kick. For a front kick, check or pary with the front leg and once the front leg comes down, kick with the back leg.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: