Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    dim-mak

I know KM encompasses a lot of Muay Thai techniques. But I’d like to know if anyone thinks that KM is really that much more effective than Muay Thai. Ive noticed with sparring, the guys with Muay Thai backgrounds always, and I mean always kick the most ass.

Muay Thai just seems to be far superior.

unstpabl1

Re: KM vs Muay Thai

quote \”Dim Mak\:

I know KM encompasses a lot of Muay Thai techniques. But I’d like to know if anyone thinks that KM is really that much more effective than Muay Thai. Ive noticed with sparring, the guys with Muay Thai backgrounds always, and I mean always kick the most ass.

Muay Thai just seems to be far superior.

They have different focuses. One is for the street and takes that into consideration and the other has a set of rules. You don’t play with knifes,guns, ground, multiples, etc in one, you do in the other. Thai fighters are a special breed, train hard and have a proven system. You take a few years of MT and you can fight within that skill set. But effectiveness changes as the enviorment does.

anonymous

Yes, ring-type sparring is just one aspect of KM, while in Muay Thai it’s the main focus. If all you work on in training is ring sparring, then you are bound to be better at it than someone who spends a much smaller amount of time practicing it.

In regular KM class we not only work on punches and kicks, but also defenses against specific attacks, including weapon defenses and multiple attackers. In fighting classes, we also work on takedowns and ground fighting, which are not part of Muay Thai.

vicious

Can you be more specific? Are you asking if anyone thinks KM is more effective than Muay Thai at…… Muay Thai sparring? no. at…. MMA sparring? yes (no ground fighting in MT) at… weapon defenses? yes. at… dealing with \”sucker punches?\” yes. at… taking someone from a low level of proficiency to a high level quickly? yes.

at fighting with no rules on the street? yes.

al

I’m not sure that it is fair to compare Muay Thai and Krav Maga… but I think that the other responders to this thread have already pointed this out.

I think something that is overlooked when comparing one system to another is the ability of the individual fighters. The Muay Thai student is a better fighter than the Krav student because he may have trained longer, be better conditioned, or he just doesn’t mind getting hit. What are the total years of training, the size of the individuals you are discussing? Each of those factors must be weighed when making comparisons.

Last, but not least, if Muay Thai were a superior system, why is the Thai fighter in a Krav class? 😉

kmcat

The instructor of our class the other night (also being the owner/master of the school) said something interesting the other night, \”any thing works if your early\” — by this he meant, in an attack, if you move first and catch the attack early any sort of technique can work, even a \”fakey action movie style kick\”, it is when you catch the attack late and the attacker in contact with you or is about to hit you that is when KM \”demonstrates its power\”.

anonymous

Makes sense, yet I’m not sure that can be completely applied to weapons defenses. If he has a gun and you just hit him quickly – not knowing and not doing a gun defense that also redirects the weapon – he might still be able to pull the trigger and shoot you, because you have no control of the gun. Same could go for knife defenses. A quick punch could help and in some occasions may be enough, but if you don’t block and he still has the knife, he could try to stab again and injure you then.

slammer

My school trains Krav and MT. The is no question that the MT guys kickass and train as hard as anyone I know but my KM instructor made a good point the other day in saying \”you dont box a boxer\”. Meaning Don’t try to strike with a guy who only trains in striking (MT), take him to the ground, do what is neccesary to win. That is why we train in all aspects of fighting, you never know what you are going to come across.

Next time you get in the ring with a MT guy throw a good groin kick and watch the results… works everytime.

emil

Me thinks Dim Mak is trolling…

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”Emil\:

Me thinks Dim Mak is trolling…

That was my first thought, but I like to hear myself type 😆

anonymous

Me too. 😀

kmcat

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Makes sense, yet I’m not sure that can be completely applied to weapons defenses. …

I think this was more in the context of un-armed attacks — \”almost\” any thing \”can\” work — it just may not work well.

anonymous

I think I know what you mean and it’s true. If you can hit the guy BEFORE he puts his hands on your throat to choke, or before he tightens that bear hug that might be all it takes for you to get away. However, once the hold has been applied, there would be a greater probability of success, if you can employ a specific technique addressing the danger as we do in KM.

unstpabl1

Oh, no GK, look out I’m going to say good things about krav 😆 When training MT, the assumption is that you know your in a fight. Equal numbers,weight, cups 😳 no weapons. With krav the assumption is you have no idea your being attacked. This is the key. It doesn’t mean the MT guy couldn’t handle it, it means the krav Chick prepares for it 😈

See I got it figured out. A fight breaks out in a bar and the MT guy steps up to fight, I throw the krav chick at him and get the hell outta dodge 😆 Did I mention I voted for the ERA 😯

clfmak

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

I think I know what you mean and it’s true. If you can hit the guy BEFORE he puts his hands on your throat to choke, or before he tightens that bear hug that might be all it takes for you to get away. However, once the hold has been applied, there would be a greater probability of success, if you can employ a specific technique addressing the danger as we do in KM.

Someone with a muay thai background would probably treat the zombie choke as a weird thai clinch, and try to get the superior position to get to work with knees.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: