Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga and weight loss

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Thank you Laura and the kids section, I will let my mother and my sister know about this forum for the kids. I am sure they both will enjoy the forum.

I will have to sign up sometime this week to ask about what kosher food I can add to my physical training weight loss program as I am not that too familiar and I never really paid attention to kosher dietary laws, now my age is playing catch up and I realize that I do need to eat the right way.

I was just surfing the internet looking at Amazon books and I noticed there is a book written by Darren Levine and there are over 200 self defense techniques. This was written very recently.

I went to the Krav Maga store here on the website and I don’t see the book there ? I also saw so many different Krav Maga books are they all good books to order on the Amazon website ? Thank you for your patience.

sanchin

another good book on nutrition is The fighter’s Body by Loren Christensen and Wim Demeer. Keeping kosher should not inhibit good nutritional chices. I eat only o-u certified foods, wait 6 hours between meat and dairy, and I’ve gone from 210 to 180 (I’m 5’10\”). You will burn lots of calories training in Krav, but you need to put the right things in your body. Eat lots of lean protein, omplex carbs and healthy fats. Try, as best as you can, to stay away from processed meats, simple carbs and too many sweets. Like every else in life try to create some balance with your food. Kosher restaurants shouldn’t be a problem either. Just be sure to make good choices and enjoy. What city do you live in. I’m happy to make recommendations to kosher restaurants and food products.[/u]

Thank you, The closest city I live near is Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania every 3 to 6 months and once a year I go to N.Y.C.

I was looking at vitamins and thought are there kosher vitamins for my physical fitness goals ? Yes, they do and it is at:

http://www.koshervitamins.com

Loren Christenson’s book looks good. 🙂

I am curious, what kind of physical fitness plan do you guys follow at the Krav Maga L.A. center do and if appropriate, you can send me a private message. Thank you.

kravmdjeff

Sanchin, why 6 hours betweeen meat and dairy?

sanchin

I wait for no other reason than the laws of kashrut require it. The laws of kashrut (keeping kosher) require we not mix meat and dairy. You can eat meat right after dairy but must wait 6 hours to have dairy after meat. The reasoning is that dairy breaks down almost immediately while meat takes much longer to digest. The law was originally written as waiting until the \”next\” meal to eat dairy after meat. Modern practice is to wait 6 hours. I doubt this practice has any effect on nutrition/weight loss. The point I was trying to make is that keeping kosher does not have a negative impact on losing weight. If nothing else, it makes you think about what you are eating and plan your food for the day.

Recently, I found a chart of how strong a man should be. Women are included in the chart too.

http://www.dennisbweis.com/charts.html

I am wondering are there another charts out there for physical fitness, speed and aligility etc ? Please, Thank you 🙂

vwr32

Re: Krav Maga and weight loss

quote \”JewishFitness1976\:

Hi Krav Maga, I would like to lose some weight and go back to my Jewish roots. I would like to eat more kosher and healthy at the same time get into shape and learn self defense. I am not near any Krav Maga facility and I have to order the Krav Maga for on television.

What else do you recommend as far as losing weight and a kosher, healthy diet and what physical excersices would you have me do ? I am a man and I really am tired of being out of shape. Thank you and Shalom. 8)

Can’t help with the kosher part, but the fat loss is all about building muscle and eating right. As for exercises, the goal is to create an atmosphere where you continue to burn calories after you stop the exercise. Aerobic exercise such as distance running burns a lot of calories, but that stops when the exercise does.

Weight training (correctly), has shown in studies to continue to maintain the anabolic atmosphere needed to maximize the efforts. That’s why the bodybuilders you see on stages do little to no cardio training. I’m not an advocate of eliminating cardio, just utilizing their methods for fat loss without muscle loss. Things such as HIIT (high intensity interval training) become key. I subscribe to Men’s Health, and EVERY tip on fat burning starts with diet and ends with the right amount of interval training. Too little and you’re not doing enough… too much and you produce a catabolic state where you end going backwards with the muscle developement. Heavy weights utilizing large muscle groups such as in squats, deadlifts and benching are popular. Eight to fifteen reps in 3-4 sets, and the workout lasting no longer than an hour with resting every other day. They have it down to a science. I start my interval training tomorrow… the weightlifting I’ve been doing off and on (incorrectly) forever. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

I suggest reading this whole article… pretty good info. Might lead to more things you can google in your search for the workout you’re looking for.
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1526539

Thank you vwr32 for the very good information.

Here is something that might be useful, a good strength chart to get a better idea of the true picture of what your strength levels are like …..

http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

vwr32

Re:

quote \”JewishFitness1976\:

Thank you vwr32 for the very good information.

Here is something that might be useful, a good strength chart to get a better idea of the true picture of what your strength levels are like …..

http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

Good link, added it to my \”favorites\” for future reference. According to the charts, I suck lol.

Well, it is not about if you suck or you are great. It is more about breaking through barriers and first you need to get a true picture of your strength levels then work upwards towards that goal of getting and being very stronger.

Here is one more strength chart, This one from T-nation. He makes some good points.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1563264

I am curious, when I am able to join a Krav Maga approved facility when I move away from where I currently live at.

From start to finish, I have the fire and the determination to get in top excellent physical fitness. How long does it take to get very physically fit in Krav Maga ? Thank you

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: