Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga and weight loss

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    garddawg

So those are some good thoughts, and I think with a little discussion we would probably agree more than disagree. I believe fitness is broad and general while skill is specific. I believe some one who spends a great deal of time specializing loses some fitness, in the boad general sense, in his/her endevor to develop specialized skills.

CrossFit uses 4 models in evaluating fitness. Here is an excerpt from the CF Journal.

The first model uses the 10 general physical skills. The skills are,
    Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, Stamina, Strength, Flexibility, Power, Speed, Coordination, Agility, Balance, and Accuracy. A person is only as fit as they are competent in each of the ten skills.

The second model is the view that fitness is about performing well at any task presented. Picture a hopper loaded with an infinite number of physical challenges where no selective mechanism is operative, and being asked to perform fetes randomly drawn from the hopper. This model suggests that your fitness can be measured by your capacity to perform well at these tasks in relation to other individuals.

Crossfitís Third Fitness Standard
    There are three metabolic pathways that provide the energy for all human action. These ìmetabolic enginesî are known as the phosphagen
    pathway, the glycolytic pathway, and the oxidative pathway. The first, the phosphagen, dominates the highest-powered activities, those that last less than about ten seconds. The second pathway, the glycolytic, dominates moderate-powered activities, those that last up to several minutes. The third pathway, the oxidative, dominates low-powered activities, those that last in excess of several minutes.
    Total fitness, the fitness that CrossFit promotes and develops, requires competency and training in each of these three pathways or engines. Balancing the effects of these three pathways largely determines the how and why of the metabolic conditioning or ìcardioî that we do at CrossFit.

The fourth model states that nearly every measurable value of health can be placed on a continuum that ranges from sickness to wellness to fitness. For example, a blood pressure of 160/95 is pathological, 120/70 is normal or healthy, and 105/55 is consistent with an athleteís blood pressure; a body fat of 40% is pathological, 20% is normal or healthy, and 10% is fit. We observe a similar ordering for bone density, triglycerides, muscle mass, flexibility, HDL or ìgood cholesterolî, resting heart rate, and dozens of other common measures of health. Done right, fitness provides a great margin of protection against the ravages of time and disease. Where you find otherwise examine the fitness protocol, especially diet. Fitness is and should be ìsuper-wellness.î Sickness, wellness, and fitness are measures of the same entity.

The complete text is here if you care to read it:
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/CFJ-trial.pdf

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”garddawg\:

I think with a little discussion we would probably agree more than disagree. I believe fitness is broad and general while skill is specific. I believe some one who spends a great deal of time specializing loses some fitness, in the boad general sense, in his/her endevor to develop specialized skills.

The complete text is here if you care to read it:
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/CFJ-trial.pdf

I don’t think we’re disagreeing. Without a agreed upon definition of terms, it easy to get lost in semantics. I’m not the shrapest knife in the drawer 😆 That article is a must read and is what I meant by laying the foundation. Great stuff,its going to take a few reads to absorb it all

garddawg

😆 Been reading and rereading that article for the last 4 years. But the point is without definable terms its hard to reach a goal. Understanding that an aspect or goal of fitness is increase capacity over time and modal domains allows you structure your training to achieve that.

In that vein, in our gym when someone engages me in a conversation about wanting to lose weight I will almost always turn the conversation to increasing their capacity. Form follows function. Increase a persons abilities and their body will change to support those abilities.

giant-killer

garddawg,

You mentioned blood pressure, which made me think of a related question: They say that salt is bad for you, because it can increase blood pressure. Personally, I have somewhat low blood pressure, rather than high. Does that mean salty foods would be a good thing for me to eat, doesn’t it matter, or is there some other reason why one shouldn’t eat salt?

Just something that came to mind. We’ve been talking about the effects of eating sugar before, but not yet salt, so I was just curious.

laurar

Hi, GK…about 10 years ago I was diagnosed with borderline high blood pressure (140/80 ish) and put on medication after all the tests could not pinpoint a cause (later I found out it runs in my materhnal family). Pregnancy and childbirth exascerbated it but then it went back to pre pregnancy levels.

My doctor told me stress raises blood pressure temporarily (then it normalizes) and that in only a few people does salt intake affect blood pressure. I’ve never heard anyone else say that, though. I don’t know what new studies have come out since the ages of the low salt low fat approach to blood pressure issues.

I have been doing CrossFit for going on 3 years. I think I need to get a check up to see where my BP is. I occasionally check it with a home cuff and it seems to run about 130/70.

As far as general vs specific fitness goes, I’ve come from getting winded when going up one flight of stairs to being able complete very intense workouts without passing out. 😉 I’m stronger, faster, more coordinated and fitter than I have ever been. I train specific things like Krav Maga, and some cage fighting stuff at Brand X. I know for a fact that these specific areas have benefited from the General fitness – I can hit harder, push myself longer, be more aggressive and am more confident in my ability to hold my own against a bigger \”stronger\” person. I’ve gone from being VERY challenged to even complete a KM drill to finishing one up ready for another. Aggression drills are more about aggression than trying not to collapse during the drill.

JewishFitness’s original question was: How long does it take to get very fit while doing Krav? I would say that it would take you three times longer to get to where ever you think that is, if you only train self defense as opposed to adding in 3 CrossFit workouts a week.

I think I am pretty darn Fit but only about half as Fit as GD’s son. If you want to see my workout history, there is a good 2 years worth at http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

I would describe GardDawg as VERY FIT. He might dispute that but that’s because he is also VERY MODEST. 😆

This has given me some food for thought and I would have to view physical fitness in medical terms of how I am doing then martial arts wise, I will begin to see the positive attributes of Krav Maga instilled in me as I train in Krav Maga. I also would like to cross train in another martial arts for enjoyment and to keep physical fitness a fun, enjoyable goal.

j-frank

Re:

quote \”JewishFitness1976\:

I also remember in high school when I was on the field and track team, the coach always clocked how fast we were running and I wonder what it is called and where can I get one please online as I do not live near the sportings department store please ?

I believe the item you are thinking of is a \”stopwatch\”

http://www.weplay.com/track/stopwatches/?gclid=CLu5p460rowCFQzXgAodWz7jKw

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: