Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga’s New Official Myspace

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    kirsten

It was not my intention to start a huge debate, only to give my opinion and state that I would not support anything involving MySpace. Sorry if my opinion is not popular. I am not \”protesting\” anything- just saying my peace and hopefully to get people to think about these types of web activity. Especially if you have kids.

Walker80
    I won’t touch on the issues relating to protecting children from everything out there because it is not what we are discussing. But I will stick to the issue at hand and talk about MySpace.

I can’t give specific details on the refusal of MySpace, Friendster, Messenger, etc. to fail to cooperate w/myself. I have multiple open and active cases which prevents me from speaking about details. These cases include fraud, soliciting a minor and intimidation (racial). All facilitated on MySpace type of communities.

What I can say is that they, including MySpace, have refused to give any information regarding the \”owner\” of a particualar page. They have even refused in the past to remove racist, hateful, and potentialy dangerous information on pages. You must jump through 8 rings of fire, fight your way through both a cage full of lions and George Dillman to get information regarding the suspect in a crime. In LE time is precious and information on the web can be easily gone if not preserved.

We are all thinking a little to hard about this. I don’t really care if anyone else chooses to use it- enjoy. I won’t be sending Krav Maga hate mail and I certainly wont be quitting my training, that would be silly.

dburtonpdx speaks from experiance, one that is obviously very dear to his heart. I am glad that he has a close relationship to his daughter. That is the first step to protecting your children. Take a moment and pat yourself on the back because you are one of the very few parents who can say that.

chris

The layout for your page is really odd. It deletes the \”add friend\” button, for one thing.

I like myspace, of course I’m an adult!

rta

Regarding getting information from myspace, especially users’ identity information, it is possible there are reasons for the difficulty in attaining this information. Right to privacy and right to speech issues are very current in internet use. Civil right issues on the internet are actually in their infancy. Organizations such as myspace must find a median where they respect the rights of their users without participating in or assisting illegal activity. Granting identity requests from schools and parents for other users’ information could make them culpable in a violation of privacy suit. Equally so for police requests, without the proper documents. From experience with telephone companies, I know it is difficult obtaining private information, even when requested by judicial order. The internet is just another facet of this issue–a democracy requires the protection of private information, sometimes to the detriment of public safety.

This is not meant to comment on myspace’s responsibilities to the public or Krav Maga’s use of myspace, just to give an alternate perspective that might explain myspace’s (etc.) intentions when failing to freely hand out information. For the record, I don’t use myspace, but not out of any moral reasons, largely out of a lack of interest.

vicious

i think opinions opposing the use of myspace have been very respectful and sincere… but i just can’t agree with it.

The job of KMAA is to spread the word of krav maga. There are what, 5 million members on myspace? Seems like an easy way to help the uneducated understand what krav is really about.

i just don’t see what removing the page would do except keep a few other people from learning about krav maga. I don’t think people see the page, and believe Krav Maga supports the negative aspects of myspace… which are found in every area of the internet… myspace is nothing new, jsut a different name…

i’m not going to go into my opinions of who is at fault, who should do what… i was raised to believe that, while near impossible, it’s a parent’s job to monitor their child… if you believe that having KM take down its page will help in that goal, then so be it.

just my opinion

clfmak

I recently started using myspace to propagate this group (shameless promotion):
    http://groups.myspace.com/sdsuplex

If you’re in San Diego, check it out. A krav enthusiast may be interested.

kravjeff

I agree to an extent – However, the argument, as I understand it, is that \”myspace\” can be a dangerous place for kids, and it has been stated on this forum (among other places) that they make little or no effort to protect children, and are not forthcoming in assisting LE when called upon if someone has been hurt, threatened, etc … As a parent, I absolutely believe that it is the parent’s responsibility to \”monitor and control\” what their (our) kids are doing. As a former teenager I know that isn’t always possible – In fact, it can be damn near impossible!

The KMAA is obviously a business trying to reach as many people as possible, and I think that spreading the news about KM is a wonderful thing – But at what cost? Because I believe that the well being (or demise) of any society begins with the family, which extends to friends and acquaintances -> community -> cities -> state -> Nation = SOCIETY – I also believe that IMHO we all (as parents, LE, teachers, doctors etc … i.e., the \”good guys\”) owe it to our communities, and to our children to protect them, and the KMAA (or any organization with a positive message / positive role models / activities) can and should be a bastion of that cause – One small way to do that would be to not support a website such as myspace, which apparently does not hold to the same values (DISCLAIMER: those values are mine and while I will defend them vigorously, it is not my intention to \”push\” them on anyone here). The school where I train is heavily involved in the community – And is highly regarded for it – It’s awesome!

All of that being said – I don’t have a strong opinion about the KMAA being on myspace. If it were my organization, I strongly doubt that it would be.

Maybe I’m just naive or too damn optimistic, but isn’t it all of our responsibilities to make this country a better place for the coming generations???

As an aside – I’d be interested to know Mr. Levine’s opinion (though it might be obvious), given his background and \”other\” profession.

kmdave

As a workaround you can use the link :
    http://collect.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=invite.addfriend_verify&friendID=85613217
    It is still in the sourcecode, it’s just not shown on the actual page.

walker80

Ok………while were on the myspace topic, here is my company

http://www.myspace.com/combativeedge

kravmaganews

As of June, Krav Maga Worldwide now has a page on http://www.myspace.com . For those of us who are unfamiliar with http://www.myspace.com here is more about the website from http://collect.myspace.com/misc/about.html?z=1 :

MySpace is an online community that lets you meet your friends’ friends.

Create a private community on MySpace and you can share photos, journals and interests with your growing network of mutual friends!

See who knows who, or how you are connected. Find out if you really are six people away from Kevin Bacon.

MySpace is for everyone:
    ï Friends who want to talk Online
    ï Single people who want to meet other Singles
    ï Matchmakers who want to connect their friends with other friends
    ï Families who want to keep in touch–map your Family Tree
    ï Business people and co-workers interested in networking
    ï Classmates and study partners
    ï Anyone looking for long lost friends!
    MySpace has become a platform for industries, most notably the music industry, to make new networks and find talent. People and companies have begun using MySpaceís virtual community as a marketing and promotional venue.

Our goal for creating a Krav Maga Worldwide profile on MySpace is two fold: brand awareness and sales leads. We hope to accomplish this by using our MySpace account to build our ìfriendsî network. Also, people can contact you through e-mails and chat rooms to get more information about you/your company.

We have designed our page to have direct links back to http://www.kravmaga.com and to RevGearís MySpace account for merchandise inquiries. WE ARE NOT SELLING MERCHANDISE THROUGH MYSPACE. The goal is to drive legitimate Krav Maga interest to schools.

We have two major criticism of MySpace:
    o Lack of control over advertisers placed on your page.
    o Potential for very young people contacting you, but you always have the opportunity to decline new people from becoming your ìfriendî in your network of contacts

We are still in the test phase of this marketing tool. We will keep you updated on how productive this promotional tool is or is not.

Some people have expressed concerned about recent predatory misuses of MySpace accounts by private individuals. We have been in contact with MySpace customer service representatives to get more information about how they are attempting to crack down on misuses of this virtual community. To see more information about MySpace safety tips, please visit http://collect.myspace.com/misc/safetytips.html?z=1

If you would like to visit our page on MySpace visit http://www.myspace.com/officialkravmaga. You can also e-mail us at [email protected] .

bigirish1975

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Is that page officially sanctioned by the KMAA? It has the KM logo and pictures of John etc…

Congratulations to that Ryan guy on losing an entire Giantkiller, but where is the talk about self-defense? 😕

Hehe thanks much Giantkiller. It was a long trek for me. And hehe now I teach Krav here in Austin, Texas. Hopefully I can give back both for fitness and self defense all that has been taught to me.

As for myspace I would rather be there ( http://www.myspace.com/christr ) promoting Self Defense so that hopefully we can reach as many as possible and help them learn to protect themself and how to be safe. Maybe it will roll over to them protecting themself online also.

Ryan \” Big Irish\” Christian

esco

i agree with the about myspace, i have never used it, and refuse to, even before the whole child predator thing started. from the very begining myspace has been nothing but huge human meat market, therefore i chose not to use it. as far as the whole uncooperative with LE agencies that’s just irresposible on their part. but yeah, just cuz i don’t endorse it doesn’t mean i can’t wish you guys luck, so good luck to you guys on there hopefully it’ll get more ppl interested. Hopefully a desperate middle aged bald guy doesn’t come around trying to get you guys in the sack! lol.

kravjeff

Kravmaganews

Thanks for the update 🙂

anonymous

Hey BigIrish!

Sounds like you’ll soon have to change your name to \”LittleIrish\”. 😉

Anyway, congrats again. You certainly look good in that \”after\” picture. I was just wondering why there wasn’t anything about self-defense in your testimonial. Maybe something to add?

As for the myspace debate, I’m not sure. Heard some bad things on the news, then again, there may be other websites that are just as bad? I assume it would be hard to verify a user’s age, so if a young person lies about it, is there really anything the website can do?

I’ve never used myspace, so I’m still not sure how it actually works. You create your own page and then others visit it and leave comments? Kind of like chatting or a private forum?

clfmak

Altough there are a lot of issues people have with myspace, I think its going a bit far to say its always just been a human meat market. I know some people who have used it to get their music out to the world. It provides a fairly level playing field for discovering music- the local garage band has the same format as some millionaire. Its also the only way I keep in touch with certain people. And organizations like KMAA can have a website where you can post comments…well I guess they already have that. A lot goes on besides the \”meat market\”.

Having said that, its not perfect. Since its creation, it was just a matter of time before legal troubles came up. The same could be said for most Internet communities. Recently there was a story where Brian Bilbray’s kids had some pictures of them engaging in underage drinking and such, and they became upset when the media got ahold of it. That, and lots of the other problems with these online communities, are kind of foolish. You should realize that you’re putting something up for the whole world to see. Don’t put up anything you wouldn’t want everyone to see. If you’re a parent, you need make your kids realize this. Or just don’t let them.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: