Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav noob in need of advice

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    beach-ranger

Re: Krav noob in need of advice

Thank you all so very much for your objective input. I can already tell I’m going to like this place.

I’m taking all of your thoughts into consideration and will tell you what I decide to do in the end.

In the meantime, I got in contact with the Krav Maga Worldwide instructor and we had a lengthy conversation over the phone about their safety in class. I did not mention what had happened in my class in order to get an honest answer and not a simple “we would never do that” sales pitch kind of reply.

He explained to me their safety philosophy, and that sparring doesn’t even happen until level 2. I was offered a free trial course to see how I feel about the class. I will definitely go and see.

Again, thanks so much for your valuable input. I feel very welcome in this forum.

BR

By the way, catapult, those Enter the Dojo vids are amazing! Especially the “Krav Maga is BS” one. rofl2

wds2

Like others said, you should expect to take some lumps and some of them will be your fault, but your instructor sounds like an egotistical ass.

If I were you I’d move on.

idbl-fanatic

Oh, those are great, I just finished watching all of the episodes. rofl2

t-krav

6 weeks of training and an instructor nails you with a bare elbow to the sternum? That’s way out of line.

I like to train hard – with good training partners with whom we can calibrate the intensity level. That being said I’ve broken my nose and ribs, gotten black eyes, and even tore muscles. But not from getting sucker punched in class from an instructor. And I would never overly exert force on a weaker / lesser skilled student. Maybe put them in a hold, or do some dynamic grappling with energy – but not anything that inflicts pain.

What was the point of that demo? Sucker punching someone with an elbow strike can hurt? No Chit.

don

If it turns out he’s just an a-hole, kick him in the ding ding once real hard (a la Kelly Campbell) and THEN quit…

JUST KIDDING!!!!! :D:

rickprado

One of Imi’s main principles was “don’t get hurt”.

I sometimes will accidentally hit a student while demonstrating, a technique, it’s usually a light tap, but have never asked someone to drop their guard and strike them with intent to hurt them, it simply isn’t right or fair. Think of pulling out a dogs teeth and putting him in a dog fight.

I’d bolt. Sound’s like he’s an asshole anyway.

beach-ranger

quote t-krav:

6 weeks of training and an instructor nails you with a bare elbow to the sternum? That’s way out of line.

I like to train hard – with good training partners with whom we can calibrate the intensity level. That being said I’ve broken my nose and ribs, gotten black eyes, and even tore muscles. But not from getting sucker punched in class from an instructor. And I would never overly exert force on a weaker / lesser skilled student. Maybe put them in a hold, or do some dynamic grappling with energy – but not anything that inflicts pain.

What was the point of that demo? Sucker punching someone with an elbow strike can hurt? No Chit.

It’s Saturday night and it still hurts, even when I breathe. I think I’m going to get an X ray, either tomorrow or Monday.

quote Don:

If it turns out he’s just an a-hole, kick him in the ding ding once real hard (a la Kelly Campbell) and THEN quit…

JUST KIDDING!!!!! :D:

LOL!!!

quote rickprado:

One of Imi’s main principles was “don’t get hurt”.

I sometimes will accidentally hit a student while demonstrating, a technique, it’s usually a light tap, but have never asked someone to drop their guard and strike them with intent to hurt them, it simply isn’t right or fair. Think of pulling out a dogs teeth and putting him in a dog fight.

I’d bolt. Sound’s like he’s an asshole anyway.

Yes, actually the dojo owner has used me in demos before, when subbing in on Krav class, but he always warned me and even asked for permission to do things, and always used just enough force to prove the effectiveness of a technique without causing harm. But then again, he is not the Krav instructor.

quote Beach Ranger:

Yes, actually the dojo owner has used me in demos before, when subbing in on Krav class, but he always warned me and even asked for permission to do things, and always used just enough force to prove the effectiveness of a technique without causing harm. But then again, he is not the Krav instructor.

That’s why I would urge you to tell the owner. We speak about defense here; you’re in a position to defend other students with your disclosure about the incident to the owner of the school. Even if you don’t stay, let the owner know.

beach-ranger

quote TacticalTimmy:

That’s why I would urge you to tell the owner. We speak about defense here; you’re in a position to defend other students with your disclosure about the incident to the owner of the school. Even if you don’t stay, let the owner know.

Yes, you did mention this and I agree. I will let him know. Thanks again!

beach-ranger

Quick update:

It’s Thursday, almost a week and a half after the incident and my ribs still hurt. I went to see the doctor on Monday and got some X-rays. I sent a message to the instructor that injured me letting him know what was going on, and that I would notify him about the radiology results. He replied with a thumbs up emoticon.

Fortunately there was no fracture. The pain seems to be stemming from an intercostal hematoma which is now being taken care of with medication and rest. At this point the worst part isn’t even the pain; it’s that I want to start training with my new KMW school already and I can’t until I’m completely recovered. :):

I sent an email to both the instructor and the owner of the school. I told them about what had happened, the results from the x-ray reading, the medical treatment, and my concerns about security during training. I told them I wouldn’t be attending class anymore, my reasons for it (stated respectfully) and I also let them both now that I had notified the other one about my decision so that it doesn’t come out as gossip. I still haven’t received a reply from the school owner. The instructor replied again with the thumbs up.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread for helping me make an informed and objective decision. I really, really appreciate it.

idbl-fanatic

quote Beach Ranger:

Quick update:

It’s Thursday, almost a week and a half after the incident and my ribs still hurt. I went to see the doctor on Monday and got some X-rays. I sent a message to the instructor that injured me letting him know what was going on, and that I would notify him about the radiology results. He replied with a thumbs up emoticon.

Fortunately there was no fracture. The pain seems to be stemming from an intercostal hematoma which is now being taken care of with medication and rest. At this point the worst part isn’t even the pain; it’s that I want to start training with my new KMW school already and I can’t until I’m completely recovered. :):

I sent an email to both the instructor and the owner of the school. I told them about what had happened, the results from the x-ray reading, the medical treatment, and my concerns about security during training. I told them I wouldn’t be attending class anymore, my reasons for it (stated respectfully) and I also let them both now that I had notified the other one about my decision so that it doesn’t come out as gossip. I still haven’t received a reply from the school owner. The instructor replied again with the thumbs up.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread for helping me make an informed and objective decision. I really, really appreciate it.

thumbsup

Sorry couldn’t help it. ;):

beach-ranger

quote idbl_fanatic:

thumbsup

Sorry couldn’t help it. ;):

rofl2

beach-ranger

Oh, man…..

This is so nice and classy.

24 hours after I notified my instructor and the school owner, the instructor posted this on his Facebook page with the words “This goes to whoever takes the hint.”

Now, I really know I made the right choice by moving on.

Facebook drama, anyone?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

link ;):

Sigh.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: