Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav noob in need of advice

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    maddogmean

Re: Krav noob in need of advice

Heal up. Get back into it. Don’t look back. Good luck.

beach-ranger

quote TacticalTimmy:

Sigh.

Timmy, after sending the email I followed your advice and talked directly to the owner of the school in person. He thanked me for the input and revealed to me that there was one other student who had left the class because of a similar incident. (So, yeah, you were right about me being in a position to defend other students.) He had confronted the instructor before we had our conversation, based on the email that I had sent them both and told him that these actions were simply not right.

He said the instructor was not happy about it, which I think explains the upload of the picture and the message. In fact, as I’m writing this he posts another message saying “There are those who can’t or don’t want to accept the challenge of training the closest to a real situation. If you train for the real world you must do so with passion and you have to understand that sometimes you will get hurt. But think about the streets, where they are not going to treat you well. They will hurt you there or, worst, kill you. Train as you fight, fight as you train.” This is exactly the kind of nonesense that CJ’s Dad warned me about. Almost literally.

The school owner tried to convince me into going back to the class, but I told him about the picture (which he hadn’t seen) and that if I got hurt without bringing up any complains, I don’t know what could happen now that I did. He understood my point and offered to train me privately once a week on self defense, only that it wouldn’t be Krav Maga. So, I don’t know. I might take up the offer, but I’m still going to go to the KMW school. In closing, the owner told me: “I might have to let him go. He is a friend, but this is my business.”

sch-thurston

<i>”He said the instructor was not happy about it, which I think explains the upload of the picture and the message.”</i>

Errr, have to respectfully disagree with you here. The only thing that explains the FB picture and whatnot is that the instructor is a willy. None of the instructors I know would be likely to resort to such a childish reaction. Wow, it boggles my mind just trying to imagine any of them being so petty. It’s the diametric opposite of the character that these people exude.

You’re well shot of the old place. I can only hope that the owner can somehow intervene with his friend, the instructor, and modify his behavior. (I wouldn’t bet on a fix.) You didn’t need it, the owner doesn’t need it, and the greater krav maga family doesn’t need it.

OP, is the dojo you’re going to called “Rex Kwon Do?” :combat:

I’ve been training Krav for 14 months and I’ve never had an instructor do that. We consistently get encouraged to train hard and be prepared for the street, but that doesn’t mean whacking somoene when they least suspect it to teach a lesson. Long story short, the owner is starting to recognize a pattern and is coming to grips with letting his buddy go. You handled the situation correctly. I’d probably give the owner another chance as long as the instructor was replaced, but I’d never go back to Mr Ego based on his response and replies. Ever.

OP, You absolutely did the right thing. I’m a school owner and if I had an Instructor that cost me multiple memberships, that person would be gone, no hesitation. You did that school owner a favor.

beach-ranger

quote Caniac Nation:

OP, is the dojo you’re going to called “Rex Kwon Do?” :combat:

I’ve been training Krav for 14 months and I’ve never had an instructor do that. We consistently get encouraged to train hard and be prepared for the street, but that doesn’t mean whacking somoene when they least suspect it to teach a lesson. Long story short, the owner is starting to recognize a pattern and is coming to grips with letting his buddy go. You handled the situation correctly. I’d probably give the owner another chance as long as the instructor was replaced, but I’d never go back to Mr Ego based on his response and replies. Ever.

For those who don’t take the Rex Kwon Do joke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzh9koy7b1E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmE69bZ1rtM

Well that place was a rip-off.rofl2

beach-ranger

quote Jeremy Stafford:

OP, You absolutely did the right thing. I’m a school owner and if I had an Instructor that cost me multiple memberships, that person would be gone, no hesitation. You did that school owner a favor.

Thank you, sir. At least I have the satisfaction of having dealt with the situation honestly. I’m on my 3rd week of recovery, becoming impatient to start training again, but the pain is sill there and it’s simply impossible right now. If by next Monday it doesn’t get better, the doctor will send me to get some more tests done.

cinnamongirl

I hope you feel better soon! I also think you did the right thing by leaving. As a student, you have to have a lot of trust in your instructors – if you think about it, we are putting our lives in their hands. Your ‘instructor’ not only physically harmed you, he violated that trust. Good luck your new club!

olliepm

Hmmm – I actually wouldn’t complain if an instructor hit me hard – I’d channel it towards my aggression, assuming that’s the point. In saying that, though, my instructor would have to be someone who I’d have respect for, if I were to ‘suck it up’, as it were, and this guy sounds like a prick who deserves no respect from you.

-Good call switching schools 🙂

beach-ranger

quote cinnamongirl:

I hope you feel better soon! I also think you did the right thing by leaving. As a student, you have to have a lot of trust in your instructors – if you think about it, we are putting our lives in their hands. Your ‘instructor’ not only physically harmed you, he violated that trust. Good luck your new club!

Thank you, cinnamongirl. Actually, yesterday, even though I was in pain, as soon as I got up I geared up and went out to exercise a little bit. Walked for a while and ran 1/2 mile, which was as much as I could. It seems that giving that boost to my circulation helped because by late afternoon I realized that the pain had subsided considerably! This really made my day not only because being in constant in pain is obviously a drag, but also because it seems I’ll be able to start training again soon. Today I could do certain movements that I haven’t been able to do easily for the past 3 weeks, like getting in and out of a car without assistance and lifting things with my left arm.:): It’s funny all the seemingly insignificant tasks that we take for granted every day… until you can’t do them anymore. Makes me feel more grateful and humble about life in general.

beach-ranger

Quick update:

After almost 7 weeks I have finally recovered from the chest injury and started training with Krav Maga Worldwide yesterday. My first class was great. I had no problems whatsoever to perform any of the exercises or routines. This class is WAY HARDER with the cardio and warmup exercises than my other class. However, much to my surprise, my condition was not as bad as I thought it would be after all this time, and I could keep up with the rest who have been used to this type of training for several months. Some were struggling more than I did. Eating healthy really pays off! I must confess that it was scary at first because, having got injured, I would tend to flinch and expect the worst any minute, but these guys were very careful about safety and protection and this eased my worries. All in all, it was a lot of fun and I felt very welcome among them. I’m really happy and motivated. Thanks to all who shared their advice here. Peace!

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: