Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics List of certified instructors

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    psyops

Re: List of certified instructors

Fact,

There are KMWW schools that have had unlicensed “instructors” to teach classes. I know this for a fact! I have only refrained from naming the school publicly because the owner of the school would be embarrased.

The easiest thing in the world is to simply ask the instructor. If you are afraid then you can call KMWW headquarters and get any answer about any instructor.

If you are not happy with your training at your facility find another school.

blindfold

Okay here’s some input. Our instructor is a great guy and is certified. He doesn’t own the school and there for doesn’t set the standards.

We don’t test or go over many advanced techniques. If we do it is usually at the pushing of someone or by asking questions and using the KM book for reference.

I have never even met Ryan or anyone from this site, but there are several of them that I believe are doing all that they can to make KM better and are great people because of it. They don’t have to sit on this site and give us advice on how to do anything.

If you have questions go to the instructor, call the NTC, or Email someone. Sounds like a simple solution. Like Ryan said they don’t oversee how a school is run. Which sorta sucks, in certain situations.

stevetuna

As Ryan previously stated, certified instructors are issued a certificate that is to be posted up on the wall at the training facility.

Krav Maga Worldwide works hard to make sure that their instructors are up to the task. I think that what you’re hearing from those who have responded is that you should feel comfortable in being able to ask this question of your instructor. If not, then you should take Ryan’s advice and e-mail someone at the NTC.

As a school owner, I’d be upset if one of my customers didn’t feel that they could ask me about something like this. Moreso, I’d be upset if one of my customers felt that they HAD to ask me something like this…

While I know it would be a Herculean undertaking, I kind of like the idea of a published list with the instructors name, current level of certification, and whether or not they were current in their continuing education. At the very least, it would keep everyone honest. It would probably take a full time employee just to publish and maintain such a list though, probably not feasable! You could always ask to see your instructors most current Diploma from KMWW. I actually encourage this from all students. You are paying for certified instruction, don’t be afraid to verify that you’re getting what you pay for.

jikaku

Actually, a central database of instructors, level of certification, and date certification was received wouldn’t be all that difficult at all. There’d be an initial time investment for the data entry if such a db doesn’t exist already, but after that it wouldn’t be all that hard to maintain, since KMWW keeps tabs on the who/when/where’s of instructor training/testing. You just build a nice web interface for the public to view/search, and a back-end for designated “certifiers” to go in and add/edit as needed for when folks certify in a higher phase, or become new instructors, etc.

This might also offer some incentive for instructors to certify at higher levels (if there’s no requirement that one goes from A to B, and on etc., in a certain time-frame). Being listed in the db as “Phase A” that you received in 2003 – might be the spur that some folks need to upgrade their certification level 🙂

As a web designer/developer (http://www.pearible.com – personal commercial plug… feel free to delete if inappropriate) I’d estimate you could have the entire structure up in a decent weekend – even complete with entries if that information is readily accessible.

Jim

psyops

Continued education, certifications etc…..

There are lots of challenges that arise when the discussion of continued education and certifications comes up. The Complete Krav Maga book series has both enhanced and hampered the system. Now don’t get me wrong. I am a huge fan of the books and I firmly believe that Complete Krav Maga is the finest instructional self defense book ever written.

I wonder about the business decision though. If Krav Maga will be broken down and distributed to the world in book form. Complete with pictures and in dept description of the techniques and training methods used to perfect the technique. Why should an instructor pay large sums of money to attend a certification course when the information is readily available on the internet, book stores, dvd’s etc..?

I mean I completed all phase training as an instructor and I value you the experience. The books now provide non Krav Practitioners with enough infomation to implement the program at their schools without ever participating in phase. Also they can call the system Krav Maga without any reciprocity from KMWW or anyone else. They can essentially make money teaching techniques that “certified instructors” can’t teach unless they pay for additional phase training which costs far more than the books and dvd’s.

Here lies the problem folks. You have instructors who are intergrating MMA and other systems into Krav Maga and they are doing so without being checked or corrected. Why? Well let’s just say that money is a huge factor. It is impossible to maintain order with thousands of instructors in this country. Not to mention that other organizations are also aggresively working towards creating a name for themselves in the U.S.

I am all for the list of instructors. But there are more pressing issues than this in my opinion.

karmaok

At one time, wasn’t there also an instructor apprentice program? Lots of restrictions of what you could and could not do, but you could still legally teach under supervision. Maybe there were folks that went through that training whom would need to be included as well. I have not heard of this program in a while-Is anyone still teaching it for potential instructors that logistically/financially cannot make it for an entire phase week and whose interest is not in full licensing ??

Jeff

kmman

In Jeet Kune Do, anyone can call (or look at his site) Dan Inosanto in Cali and they tell you if John Doe is Inosanto Certified. I’m sure KMWW has a list of everyone. Should be a phone call away. This will help keep KM above board. I think its an absolute must for KMWW to provide.

unstpabl1

quote KMMAN:

In Jeet Kune Do, anyone can call (or look at his site) Dan Inosanto in Cali and they tell you if John Doe is Inosanto Certified. I’m sure KMWW has a list of everyone. Should be a phone call away. This will help keep KM above board. I think its an absolute must for KMWW to provide.

Part true. The people on the site are currently in the Organization. There are some notable exceptions I believe not listed such as Cass Magda and Paul Vunak as well as others

unstpabl1

quote Psyops:

Continued education, certifications etc…..

There are lots of challenges that arise when the discussion of continued education and certifications comes up. The Complete Krav Maga book series has both enhanced and hampered the system. Now don’t get me wrong. I am a huge fan of the books and I firmly believe that Complete Krav Maga is the finest instructional self defense book ever written.

I wonder about the business decision though. If Krav Maga will be broken down and distributed to the world in book form. Complete with pictures and in dept description of the techniques and training methods used to perfect the technique. Why should an instructor pay large sums of money to attend a certification course when the information is readily available on the internet, book stores, dvd’s etc..?

Because the system is principle based, not technique driven. Yes the “What” (tech)is shown in the book, but not the “How” you train it. Its the philosophhy of training and the drills that make the system relevant as the techs are for the most part pretty common to most systems. The How you train is most important

I have a couple friends who are half way thru putting every EPAK tech on youtube for free. These guys are very good. Like you and the book at first I thought WTF your giving away the system and to a degree they are. But then I realized its only half the system and can only really be used as review.

I was training last month at a school and we did some of your gun disarms, but neither the intensity/philosophy nor the princples of krav were demonstrated cause they weren’t in the book

I understand your concern and even agree with what you are saying, but its better to put the book out there, than to have someone else do it eventually. You end up witth a great review, only give away a portion of the system and have a written record for the water down critics.

Did you know less than 10% of the people who buy a self help book ever read the whole book. The percentage that apply what they’ve learned after reading lessens it even more dramatically. I’d bet the figures are even more stunning of someone buying a M/A book and actually using the thing. However I bet every student buys it and uses it for review after learning a tech and around test time

kmman

quote unstpabl1:

Part true. The people on the site are currently in the Organization. There are some notable exceptions I believe not listed such as Cass Magda and Paul Vunak as well as others

There are many not on the list on the website but you can call them and ask if someone is Inosanto certified and they tell you yes or no right then and there. It may be a pain to them but its pretty simple as the have a list of all certs. I also think it protects their lineage with some quality control.

unstpabl1

quote KMMAN:

There are many not on the list on the website but you can call them and ask if someone is Inosanto certified and they tell you yes or no right then and there. It may be a pain to them but its pretty simple as the have a list of all certs. I also think it protects their lineage with some quality control.

Thats why I said “Part True”:):

psyops

I am not suggesting that the books are a substitute for phase. I am simply saying that students with no experience in Krav Maga would not know if an instructor is showing the technique properly. So the advantage of being phase certified loses its luster for an instructor who does not value it. I of course do value it very much and that is why I commited to the phase certification program.

Others may feel differently.

kevin-mack

wouldnt it be great if Krav Maga had some sort of system that would show the time and training an individual had…so that only people who grew and advanced in the system could teach…we could maybe use a system of colored belts or something.That way if maybe an individual had a higher belt a student would know the rough amount of time the teacher had spent in the system and you would also know how much he has saw and learned.
    If only…..

ryan

To paraphase my friend garddawg, if it belt doesn’t hold up your pants, it’s useless. I’m sorry, but belts prove very little.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: