Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Lurkers – come on in! Welcome to the Krav Maga Forums!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

When I come into the forums theres always tons of new people that have registered and I always see lots of ìguestsî meaning people who are here but just havenít signed in. Or ìLurkersî

A few days ago I was assistant instructor in a level one class and during warm up theres a guy stretching who looks up and says ìhey your CJís Dadî at first I thought that was kind of strange but I let it slide. A few minutes later I walk by again and now he looks up and says ìI see you in the Krav forumsî ahhh now it makes sense.

So after class he comes up and explains he seeís me here in the forums and noticed I was at NTC-SO so he came in because we were local to him. I said cool! Whats your screen name in the forums?

He doesnít have one, he said heís just a lurker and regular reader.

Which in turn got me thinking, COME ON LURKERS MAKE A POST

Maybe we should have a welcome thread or something? In any event if your new to Krav Maga or been training a while just take a minute to say hello and maybe let us know where your training at.

The forums are a great resource of information and a good way to share your enjoyment of Krav Maga.

So, lurkers introduce yourselves 😀

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Case in point

I made the post at about 7:30
    Its now about 8:30

In a little over 1hr more then 50 people have viewed this threadÖÖ no comments

Things that make you go hmmmmm

garddawg

We post the scaled CrossFit Workout of the Day every night around 9:00. It’s not uncommon to wake up and find 300 views and 3 responses. A couple days later you’ll see 1200 views and 20 – 30 responses. Looking at the responses it’s always the same 10-15 people.

Your right it is interesting.

giant-killer

Maybe some people are just a bit shy and don’t really know what to post? I think a welcome thread may be a good idea, I’ve seen it in other forums, it’s always up on top and it gives new guys (or gals) an opportunity to make that first post and introduce themselves. Once that’s been done (and they’ve been welcomed by the more regular posters), they may feel better about posting again, because they are not \”strangers\” anymore. Could be worth a try.

unstpabl1

Welcome threads are great, gives people something to talk about andolder members get a feel for their background

Especially for you guys. Krav (KMAA)should be a tighter community than it is. The board should be a place to feel like you belong to something bigger and to introduce perspective students to your system and make them feel like like they are welcome.

Its a great idea Sean and then guys like me can fade away 😀

Glad to hear your Assisting. Its a good Addition to KMSO. Hope your healing
    mike

vwr32

\”Rubs me the wrong way maybe, but I try to look at it as a reflection on their character not mine.\”

I believe this was the \”snipe\” mentioned in another thread. I didn’t want to bump the other thread up either, but really don’t have a home for this better than this one. The statement was in response to what it has been like for me since I joined.. when I went from lurker to participant. Hope it’s not viewed as a hijacking, this is my experience as a \”new person\” here.

I have to say, I’ve felt like I’ve been on the defensive from day one. It’s not enough to simply disagree with someone, some feel it appropriate to insult as a means to get their point across. From supplement usage to workout technique to range safety… I’ve been wrong, wuss, and told I’m wasting my time unless my goal is mirror based. I’m clueless about \”current\” weapons training involving moving instead of standing still. All of this without any knowledge of who I am, how I train, what my past is, or what my goals are. Yeah, everytime I turn around it seems I’m having to explain myself or justify something.

Twice I’ve known the feeling of knocking someone out cold. Three times I’ve known what it’s like to break someone’s jaw. I know what it’s like charging up Hill 916 in a predawn attack with 40 lbs of weapon, ammo, and equipment; so steep at parts it’s like being on a dirt treadmill. I know what it’s like to run thru a 10ft stack of concertina wire after the bangelor torpedos clear a path. I know what it’s like to be on an Australian Blackhawk where the pilots are showing off their skills flying maybe 30ft off an outback road at easily better than 100mph (nap of the earth). All you could see is trees out either window… scary close.

I know what it’s like to be a pall bearer on a casket for someone coming back from Desert Storm where the only reason you knew it wasn’t empty was because you can feel something rolling around inside. i know what it’s like to stand there at the casket too, folding the flag while someone from the greiving family screams that we weren’t showing enough respect for whomever it was we were burying. And I know what it’s like to have the distinct honor of being the only representative from the Army (one from each branch) standing on the Hickam AFB tarmac at attention in dress greens when MIA remains being returned from Vietnam were offloaded during refueling.

I suppose for all the condescending remarks that paint me as some newbie to fighting (outside the ring), movement under fire, diet/health, and training technique, the one that put me in the red the most was some fitness trainer telling *me* what it takes to be a better soldier. Fitness on the battlefield was the easy part.

In reading my \”snipe\”, I probably could have chosen my words better and apologize for having lost it momentarily when it came to expressing some frustration at what seems to be an endless battle to do nothing more than be seen as an equal. I decided to press the debates mostly because I felt like an outsider who wasn’t in the clique simply because I’m not an instructor… there was nothing to loose because I had/have no plans to stay somewhere where you have to be a paramilitary enthusiast or instructor to fit in.

Again, sorry for the snipe to both garddawg and unstpable1. I have the utmost respect for what garddawg does and what unstpabl1 has to say. Think I’ll go back to lurking for a while. Maybe I just need a break. Thanks for the welcome, maybe I’ll be friendlier when my book isn’t on backorder. 😀

kravjeff

VWR32 – Thank you for your service

I haven’t been around much in the last few months, but I don’t remember the forum being so confrontational. Has it really gotten that bad? With the exception of GiantKiller, I like everyone here :wink:. We don’t all always agree, and there are certainly some \”spirited\” debates, but when I’ve been involved in those, I’ve always walked away feeling like I just had it out with a friend …

I dunno if things have changed, but I’ve always viewed this forum with a sense of comraderie – Even from the beginning.

$0.02

unstpabl1

Re:

[quote=\”vwr32\”]\”Rubs me the wrong way maybe, but I try to look at it as a reflection on their character not mine.\”

V thats the one, what bugged me most is it came when I was sticking up for you and I thought we understood each other as it been weeks past.

I don’t talk for GD and though I’m not quoting you I’ll try to address some misunderstandings that have arisen and maybe why.

You and GD had a disagrement on the value of supplements. I know you believe in them and I’m \”assuming\” believes at least for the most part it should come from food. So you disagree big deal. GD has access to some really hi end trainers and nutritionists. You could have learned alot from him and still popped the pills 😆 I’m mixed on the subject as I have some metobolic issues. Truth is I wasn’t involved in the discussion and don’t think I even noticed it. Somehow, I always got the feeling you were always fighting GD, but talking to me.

GD has a similar belief as mine when it comes to posting. The only reason to post is to try to help. GD gets a lot of flack cause what he does goes against convention and requires a fighting spirit to do. Better yet demands a fighting spirit. He admited where he erred on the w/o thread you and I got into,apologized and explained why.

\”told I’ve been wasting my time unless my goal is mirror based\” WTF 😆 We’ve been saying the absolute exact opposite…PERFORMANCE BASED…We both thought you were bodybuilding and looking for it to enhance your krav. Simply, full body work is more effective and less time consuming than seperating body parts for performance. GD wasn’t even refering to your w/o, but the guy who did chest/tri on mon, legs on Tues. It wasn’t directed at you

I was really confused when you stated your w/o. You were already at the dark side. Maybe this qoute shows why I haven’t been able to figure what where you were coming from.

\”I’ve been on the defensive from day 1\” I wasn’t involved in earlier threads.I’ve found you extremely defensive. If you feel defensive every post you read comes accross as an attack. You read them with that filter. It ends up a cycle. Then I read it back going why is he attacking me, I just agreed with or stuck up for him. And of course expect a jab or two to come back. Don’t be suprised if you go to a gathering of fighters and a riot breaks out? I’d be interested if you went back thru the 2 discussions(Long) 🙄 we’ve had and reread them as if I was trying to help. I wonder what we both would learn. I might do the opposite. I did read the w/o thread about 6x’s trying to figure it out 😕

Truth is I don’t think I know much about this stuff, I learn from everyone. I gather knowledge from everywhere. I try to share it freely and turn others on to it. The net is a great place. I have access to world class trainers who’ve gone out of their way to help me. So I share. Even on a forum of a system I don’t take 😆 yhough its around the corner almost.

In a way you are a newbie, 4 months in one system is still a cherry. Okay you were in the military. Thank You for your service by the way. The RBSD movement is being rewrote daily, just like MMA. Many of us old guys wish we could still play. Its definately become a full contact sport 😆 Guys are pushing the envolope in training, like skateboarders. Unfortunately, because its becoming a violent world. Civilians are training for real, just in case. 9/11/katrina shook alot of people up. But MMA woke people up

As I said everyone trains for there own purpose. I also don’t think I’ve been condesending toward you a little frustrated maybe. Maybe its your filter again. I’ll rreread later to see my responsibility. Though again you took another snipe. That modality is really helping soldiers. There is constant flow of info going on there from soldiers, cops and firefighters and MMA guys. There is alot to learn there. V maybe if you didn’t look at it as an attack and saw it as an attempt to help, you would have found a wealth of help, instead of a

unstpabl1

Instead of a wall. That person has gone way above and beyond to help me and anyone I refered to him. I think he was offering help to begin with

I Hate cliques, can’t sit still long enough to join one. I\”m glad your expressing this cause I’ve been wondering for a while and I’ve asked it whats your real beef. So I’m gonna be honest and a friend, though it won’t feel that way at first. I think you’ve added alot to the discussion, but to me you’ve come accross as an argumentative know it all with a yellow belt. Anyone who offered advice, got attacked. Its one thing to disagree, but you keep pushing the same thing and never finding the common ground. Sucks huh? 😆

With that said, did I mention I don’t know Shit! I would never have spent this much time talking to someone who I didn’t think had something to offer. I type one finger at a time and I’ve spent hours trying to get this post right. I don’t internet fight much. If I think someones being an idiot, its easier to ignore them. You’ll notice I didn’t do that with you and have invested a lot of time talking to you, I’m not pushing an agenda.. I really want to help 🙂

I get it now and hopefully you get me. Please don’t look at my posts as putting you down in any way. If thats how I’m coming accross as an know it all jerk 😉 I absolutely apologize to you and the forum as that is never my intention, unless your a troll 👿 I hate people who pick on people, it is absolutely not in my nature and would end up hurting me more than the other person. Even telling you how I felt is bothering me, but maybe knowing that may clear the air and lead to a friendship and respect. I truely hope so, making enemies is easy, friends more worthwhile

Hopefully, you’ll stick around and keep posting and not seeing us as attackers and allow for normal disaggreements. If you would like to talk off forum I can arrange for a PM on a few other boards. I would not have invested this much time with you if I didn’t think you belonged. Besides you take Krav, you belong here more than I do. I landed here by Pilot 😆 error 😆 Best Wishes

mike

vwr32

Re:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

I think you’ve added alot to the discussion, but to me you’ve come accross as an argumentative know it all with a yellow belt.

Excellent. Had to come out of lurking long enough to thank you for your reply.

I think when/if you do go back and re-read the discussions, you’ll notice not one of my debates concerns the techniques taught in krav. When it comes to what we’re supposed to be here for, I’m all ears (or eyes in the forum). I’m ready to learn and you’ll not see me second guessing the system because of some old habits when it comes to knowing how to defend myself against a drunk at a bar.

Argumentative know-it-all with a yellow belt? Like I said before, the assumption is that because I’m new to krav, I can’t have an informed well educated and well researched opinion about something *excluding* krav. I’m sure garddawg is well supplied with info from top people… but that’s not such a unique quality anymore considering the latest info from top advisors in ANY field is only a google search away. I spend a lot of time doing nothing but reading articles about health, exercise, and diet.

It seems to be a carrry over from the other thread \”newbies asking newbies for advice\”. I’m better at taking unsolicited advice when it comes to something I feel I’m truely new to… such as krav. I feel the argumentative portion of my presence was justified because I kept having to defend myself against the well established know-it-alls who have higher belt ranks. There is no black belt in diet. There is no level 4 in exercise. There is no Grandmaster status in knowing what it’s like to train with a sense of danger. Yet there has been no lack of effort to correct me without knowing my background. At the end of the day there is only those with experience and those with excuses.

I ordered the book *because* i’m not a know it all. Sorry if I came off that way concerning the krav system. I just don’t think I did. Maybe the impression that I am comes from me not caving into a barrage of advice that conflicts with my own experience in the various matters. Again, this goes back to not feeling as an equal when it comes to topics outside of krav. \”I’m a newbie to krav, therefore I should automatically agree using a real weapon in class is a good idea.\” Or, \”I’m a newbie to Krav, therefore I should automatically accept a statement that I need growth in knowing what it’s like to look down a barrel of a real gun.\” Sorry, I’ve had that experience before.

I was going to leave it at lurking for a while, but when you said you typed all that with one finger I felt obligated to at least say thanks for your time. Back to lurking.

8)

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Hey V just for fun do you want to hear something you might find amusing? Youíve been training Krav longer then me.

Seriously I’m a newer noobie at KM 🙂

mara-jade

GK kinda kinda hit the nail on the head for me. I’d registered a few years ago and it was only this year I really started posting.

Things changed at home last year for me. New schedule at home and no hubby to train with. It took us months to get used to the new schedule and KM suffered for it. I just barely started getting back into any classes myself until this summer. We haven’t tested yet.

I feel not so much shy but not wanting to ask a question and look like a DEEDEEDEE. Even worse, I feel like I’d embarass my training center for as long as I’ve been SUPPOSED to be training. 😳

Right now I’m working on just getting back into shape for the rest of the summer. In one class I forget which time but we were in pairs doing the bucking off. The guy on top of me wasn’t like godzilla huge so I shouldn’t have had a big problem. I was friggin dying like after 5 times and I was struggling. I was like \”UH OH..time to step back\”.

Hope I\”m not hijacking this thread but I still feel like a newbie myself after all this time. I’m hoping with the new KM book now I’ll feel easier about class. I know it’s no race to get to the next level but hopefully someday 🙂

As for this board in general, I think the only threads that made me scratch my head are the ones about the U.S. Vs Israeli KM and the times when other martial arts styles get mentioned. They start ok and then somehow the the thread goes off the deep end and I quit reading.

A welcome thread sounds like a good idea. I moderate on another forum and it’s good when lurkers come out, make a post and are recognized. It does make them feel at ease 😀

unstpabl1

I’m truely sorry you feel that way V. Sincerly. The quote you used in the reply was the least important thing I said and simply reflected how I felt you were coming off. Had nothing to do with Krav and really came late in the exchanges as I felt you were denying me my expirience of the mentioned drills. Of Krav I know nothing, though I like the system and do promote it as well as other systems.

A acting teacher once asked me in the midst of a heated exchange, What do you win if your right? Most of the time very little. People will do what they want either way. Its very hard to change someones mind, only they can do that. The best we can do is express ourselves and look for the common ground. Sometimes its hard to find, but you try. sometimes you got to let go

I never assumed you didn’t know shit about anything or purposely invalidated your expirience. Most of the time I was simply confused with where you were coming from. Maybe it definitions. You didn’t understand ours and we didn’t understand yours. I remember you equating Progressive resistence to bodybuilding. The term is way broader than that. The mirror based quote has me totally confused. I have tried to understand

I never expected you to automatically agree with me or even to agree with me. Thats not discussion. We agreed on most of it anyway. I was simply pointing out why it was done and my personal expirience in doing it as I thought that might add to the discussion. You dont like the practice and won’t do it. I don’t really like the practice, but probably would do it under the right circumstances. Wheres the great wall. As I said I have no agenda. I’m not here to belittle anyone or to force my views on others. I do feel entitled to express them and hopefully have pointed a few in a positive direction

In a way, cause I haven’t been able to train much this year and may end up having to retire from it, I’ve been trying to cheerlead and hook others up with good training and information. i’m sorry you found us condesending as It was not any of our intentions.

I really hope the sincerity I feel translates to the page. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and not just disappearing. I wish you the best in whatever you do. I wish we had found that mutual ground and am disappointed that we haven’t so far. But Tomorrows another day and its full of possibility 😀

mike

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”mara_jade\:

yet.

I feel not so much shy but not wanting to ask a question and look like a DEEDEEDEE. Even worse, I feel like I’d embarass my training center for as long as I’ve been SUPPOSED to be training. 😳

Hope I\”m not hijacking this thread but I still feel like a newbie myself after all this time. I’m hoping with the new KM book now I’ll feel easier about class. I know it’s no race to get to the next level but hopefully someday 🙂

As for this board in general, I think the only threads that made me scratch my head are the ones about the U.S. Vs Israeli KM and the times when other martial arts styles get mentioned. They start ok and then somehow the the thread goes off the deep end and I quit reading.

I quit reading those posts to 😉 . Your not hijacking anything, we did. Sometimes clearing the air is important, though it smells funny.

The number one fear of humans is public speaking, no one wants to embarass themselves. The funny thing is when you put a group of adults together insert some alchol they start having the most fun by doing the most embarassing things. They become more human somehow, more engaging by their willingness to open up

Life is about expanding, yet if your like me the tendancy is to contract or hold back. Most of us do that. Yet the people who have the most impact take the most risks and expose themselves to possible ridicule. They also get the most rewards and usually learn the most. Cause we learn mostly thru expirience and expiriences

I’m not sure worrying about embarassing someone else is a valid excuse for not expressing yourself 🙂 What happens most of the time after we embarass ourself. We laugh our asses off about it 😆 and we learn something from the expirience. More importantly we learn not to take ourselves so damn seriously

I like this board, though its a tad transient, which is why I keep posting, to keep it going in an odd way. Get you krav guys, chating it up, making friends, getting together at camps and seminars and having fun promoting your system learning.I’m here by pilot error and am contemplating retirement from M/A due to age and injury. I keep starting and having to quit 😆 Lawn bowling looks interesting, but I can only swear in Italian.

Take a risk Mara Jade. Use the board to get in the habit, it’ll translate to other areas and you’ll even make some friends. There are people on this board that I talk to off forum as much as anyone else i KNOW. I can honestly say I’m in the mess I’m in now because of the risks I should have took in the past

So take a risk Mara Jade start the new Intro thread. Lets see how many of us will follow suit. I will if you start the party. Mayde it’ll just end up us, but maybe tons of people will join. Don’t know that we can sticky it, but it should bump it self up and we can nominate GK to keep it close to the top. She’ll be here forever 😉

karmaok

Lurker Introduction. Last ~5 years or so in MA. BB in Wado-Ryu. Changed to KM about 5 months ago. Trained hard, studied hard, fought hard at shedding away the BS and discovering what I wanted to be as a martial artist. I looked very hard for a system and training techniques that was the best at training a person to truly defend themselves. I discovered KM and am lucky enough to live 10 min from only KM training in SC. I have an awesome instructor and the curriculum and training techniques are everything I hoped they would be. I absolutely love it!. Took about a month to get used to the stance etc changes, but after that, things are going well. Although totally different than traditional karate, what I have learned about body mechanics, speed, power, relaxation, training habits are all applicable to KM. For me it is has been the perfect combination of lets call it \”classroom\” and now \”application\”.

If I have insight I think may be valuable or a question- I post. Otherwise I keep my mouth shut, listen and learn.

Hello everyone. I am Jeff. I am a KM addict.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: