Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: My diet sucks

My diet was great up until ah yesterday.. and um this afternoon.. then later tonight.. and maybe a little tomorrow. 😉

quote veganmark:

Cholesterol is God’s answer to eating his children… I’m not saying you should go vegan. That’s a choice you have to make of your own free will. However, a balanced omnivore diet that includes lots of fresh fruit, fresh raw vegetables.

I tried to do that vegan thing and it made me sick. I can’t even pull off a balanced omnivore diet. If I eat fresh raw vegetables, I need to plug my nose, drop them down my throat, and chase them down with a thick slab of steak and some country gravy. This is why I never get below 20% bodyfat 😉

vwr32

quote downforlife76:

I tried to do that vegan thing and it made me sick. I can’t even pull off a balanced omnivore diet. If I eat fresh raw vegetables, I need to plug my nose, drop them down my throat, and chase them down with a thick slab of steak and some country gravy. This is why I never get below 20% bodyfat 😉

Maybe u could try vegetable shaped hamburger patties.

Gary Taubes is a fruitcake. I caught him on Larry King a few weeks ago and the notion that exercise makes you fat is incredible. Yeah sure I know there was more to the story than just that but his accusations are nuts.

Started doing the Zone diet and hoping I can stick to it. Biggest problem I have is eating at night myself. Matter of fact I am hungry right now.

garddawg

Yes that was odd. I would like to read the book. In the interview I heard he doesn’t sound much different than Sears, Cordain or Wolf in regards to what you should eat.

giant-killer

Exercise makes you fat?? How so? :Surprised:

Hey, we got more smileys!! I like this one: :Deadhorse: Will come in handy during the next Moni conversation. And this one: :jerry: Who’s Jerry?

Thanks, Sean. The big kids in us really appreciate!! :wav:

kmcat

quote Giant Killer:

Exercise makes you fat?? How so? :Surprised:

I’ve read his book, and he does not say that, although some of what he describes can be interpreted that way. Most of the book talks about carbohydrates causing weight gain.

Most times when a typical doctor suggests exercise to an obese person to help them loose weight it is along the lines of “just do some extra walking”. He points out that just “extra walking” won’t burn more that a couple of hundred calories. That energy expendature can easily be undone by eating a few extra slices of bread.

Also, the extra exercise can cause hunger, if that is not managed correctly it can cause the injestion of more calories that have been burned – thus causing some potential for weight gain. Example, ooo, I’ve worked so hard to day and went walking for 45 miniutes, I will reward my self with a big ice cream treat.

garddawg

Again no expert on the book or man, but from the short interview I heard his ideas on sugar and carbs are right on.

Probably going to sound strange coming from a S and C coach but its pretty common knowledge in our circles that if a person wants to lose bodyfat they will make a great deal more progress adjusting their diet than they will adjusting their workouts.

“In some ways all of this is complex and paradoxical. We can be lean and exercise, all the while we are sick due to high glycemic foods. Similarly we can be overweight, yet we will improve our health to some degree if we exercise. Itís tough to make a sound bite from this but it might look something like ìFor leanness eat a low glycemic load diet built around lean proteins and seasonal vegetables and fruits. For health and vitality exercise most days with varying intensities and activitiesî. Like I said, it sux for a sound bit.”
    Robb Wolf

garddawg

I want to throw this into the mix again from Robb Wolf. Robb is an incredible talented coach and super knowledgeable on diet and nutrition. His website is: http://robbwolf.com/

“Iíve been carving through Gary Taubes book, Good Calories, Bad Calories. It is thick, detailed and amazingly well researched. Dr. Eades and a number of other people have reviewed the book so Iíve been hesitant to reinvent the wheel but I think I might have something to add to the general discussion.

I just wrapped up the chapter that looks at the effects, or lack there of of exercise on weight loss and body composition. In a nutshell, as we increase our activity level we tend to eat more calories and thus tend not to experience body composition shifts (ie. Weight/Fat Loss). Caloric restriction combined with exercise CAN result in short term weight loss that almost inevitably results in a rebound to an even heavier and fatter state, after the ordeal of semi-starvation and exercise. Conventional wisdom posits that we MUST exercise to remain healthy AND LOSE WEIGHT. It is fairly clear that smart amounts of exercise are beneficial for a wide range of health reasons including but not limited to bone density, immune function, mental outlook and digestion to name a few. Paradoxically however, exercise appears to play little or no role in fat loss.

I know this sounds like Orwellian Doublespeak but a perusal of the literature certainly bears this out. For the empiricists out there however, perhaps we should not put too much stock in researchÖwhat happens in the real world? Well, here is my experience:

For the past four, going on five years we have operated a Crossfit strength & conditioning facility. This is an oblique way of saying that we kick-peopleís asses and for some damn reason they pay us for the fanny waxing and even return for additional helpings. What can I say, people are weird! The folks whom we have worked with tend to fall into a few categories:

1-Eat poorly (quality) and not enough.

2-Eat poorly and too much.

3-Eat well, pretty much just right.

The interesting thing is the folks who eat poorly (bad food composition, grains, sugar, legumes and other horrors) make some progress with regards to performance but they see little to no changes in body composition. Pretty much NONE. These folks tend to over train, get sick and generally fall off the program on a frequent basis. By contrast the folks who eat what we tell them to eat, a paleo/zone plan, these folks experience STUNNING bodycomp shifts and almost continuous progress. I experienced almost 4 straight years of improvements every time I trained with CrossFit. The progress has slowed and I suspect I need to increase my body weight to see a real increase in performance but thatís a different topic.

Back to our clients. The folks who do not eat well are frequently VERY active: runners, cyclists (the WORST damn clients I have EVER TRAINEDÖI may never train another) and they are universally chubby and poor performers in the mixed modal activities they PAY us to train them in and interestingly, they are poor performers at their chosen endeavors as well. These folks refuse to alter their nutrition and they progress glacially, if at all.

The folks who comply with the nutrition recommendations, like I said, make amazing body composition shifts and improve performance to a staggering level.

If you have followed what I said you might wonder what the heck Iím talking about. In one line I say exercise does not work for bodycomp and in another I cite research that caloric restriction is also bunk for fat reductionÖso what gives? Super simple: Our nutritional recommendations are focused at insulin control. You could also say that our nutritional recommendations are what we are designed to eat and thrive onÖbut that sounds all hoity-toity. I wish soooo much that simply crushing people during a workout would solve the fat and body comp problem however, it simply does not. There are 168hrss in the week. We can crush folks for 3 of those hours and then they can destroy themselves with bad food choices for the remaining 165hrs. From what we see in the literature and day to day experience, we could exercise people morning, noon and night and if the food composition is poor they will pack in enough insulin spiking food to maintain or even regress. Itís a bummer, but itís true.”
    Robb Wolf

kmcat

quote garddawg:

… The folks who do not eat well are frequently VERY active: runners, cyclists (the WORST damn clients I have EVER TRAINEDÖI may never train another) and they are universally chubby and poor performers in the mixed modal activities they PAY us to train them in and interestingly, they are poor performers at their chosen endeavors as well. These folks refuse to alter their nutrition and they progress glacially, if at all.

Your comments on cyclists are very interesting. I am probably one of those. I have had more weight that I have wanted for quite some time despite a lot of cycling. Late this summer/early-fall I decided to modify my diet and with some overall modest changes I’ve lost 20 lbs. The changes were fairly simple, I’ve not been following any specific program just – less carbohydrate, a more protein.

As for cyclists and runners, a lot of the literature and magazinea for those two groups when they talk about diet are all focused on carbs, carbs, carbs. Most runners/cyclists are exposed to a lot “eat/drink carbs” messages. The carbs do help you keep going, but it subverts any fat loss.

I think there is also an effect of what I call “nutritional inertia”, basically you are hungry after working out or your are used to eating large amounts at certain times and if you have been exposed to all the “carbs, carbs, carbs” messages and you take that in your insulin spikes and on comes the fat.

garddawg

KM Cat,
    The quote is from Robb Wolfe, a good guy and a fellow strength and conditioning coach as well as a CrossFit Coach, but I agree with him and he expresses better than I ever could what we both see in our gyms.

The problem with long distance training are legion. Muscle reduction, power reduction, etc.. it all plays into the above. The problem is most people still think this is the the most fit people on the planet are long distance runners. They copy there training, diet, and lifestyle. They aren’t fit, not by a long shot.

vwr32

I recently read something (saw it on the net, didn’t bother noting the source) that Americans used to consume 3000-4000 calories a day. This was when people still walked everywhere and life itself was much harder. The article was talking about the variety of foods they would consume, noting they were more likely to get all the nutrients they needed and contrasting that to today’s model dieter who might be downing 1400 calories from a handful of diet specific (and probably convenient) items.

As much as I hate “dieting”, I’m really taking note here lately because I’m not able to workout/train. I’d probably put myself in the category of comfortably 15-20 lbs over what I would find ideal, but I don’t think I’ll be able to stay there at my current diet-to-exercise ratio. Now’s a good time to experiment maybe.

Anyway… when I was trying to find the article I mentioned above, I stumbled on this and noticed how similar it was to some of the topics mentioned here. It’s the Paleolithic diet of a typical hunter 40,000 years ago.

quote :

Evidence from fossil records[4], paleontological evidence[5], ethnographic data from 181 modern hunter-gatherer societies (such as the Bushmen of southern Africa and Australian Aborigines) suggest that Paleolithic diets varied considerably and there was no single diet[6]. The range of available foods varied widely not only geographically but also seasonally and was far greater than the variety of food we eat today. In general, the mean plant to animal subsistence ratio in terms of energy was 35% plant and 65% animal [6-9]. This suggests that humans evolved on a diet that was primarily animal based and consequently low to moderate in complex carbohydrates (fruits and vegetables- about 25% of total calories), high in protein (up to 35% of total calories) and low to moderate in fat (about 40% of total calories) [1-9].

Summation:
    Complex carbs: 25% total calories
    Protein: 35% total calories
    Fat: 40% total calories

How does the 40,000 year old diet compare to what Taubes or Wolfe advocates?

It also specifically addresses a couple things garddawg brought up:

quote :

The large quantities of unprocessed carbohydrates typically eaten by the hunter-gatherers provided much of the energy needed for hunting and gathering — high-fiber fruits, primitive forms of leafy vegetables, root vegetables (such as yams and sweet potatoes) and contained abundant micro-nutrients. Since these are digested slowly and have a low glycemic index, early humans avoided the problem of large amounts of glucose being dumped into the bloodstream at once. Exposure to large glucose loads (50-60% calories in the modern diet), creates insulin resistance, leading to such ailments as obesity and Type 2 diabetes. Nutritionists at the Harvard School of Public Health have publicly criticised the food pyramid since this places breads, cereals, rice and pasta at its base and recommends that we consume 6-11 servings of these items daily and because it fails to distinguish between refined and complex carbohydrates and their relative glycemic responses.

Source: http://home.iprimus.com.au/rboon/PaleolithicDiet.htm

Think I’ll make a conscious effort to try to limit my carbs and see what happens.

alek

quote RQ:

Well I decided to take note of what I was eating yesterday and never really paid attention or realized that my diet sucks till I saw it written down!

7am
    3 eggs
    3 strips bacon
    2 pieces of sourdough
    2 glasses of Naked Juice

10am
    1 Snickers

11am
    2 Granola bars

2pm
    Chicken breast sandwich
    Multigrain bread with mayonnaise
    ? an avocado
    ? a tomato

5pm
    4 granola bars

9pm
    3 drumsticks and 3 thighs from El Pollo Loco
    ? an avocado

1am
    Microwave pizza and a corndog

Also drank 4 24oz bottles of water throughout the day, don’t drink soda unless it comes with the combo meal :rolleyes:

Thats worse than me. My problem is that I wake up late if I don’t have to go anywhere in the AM and I don’t have much of an appetite so I only eat a little if anything, then I can’t eat anything several hours before Krav, but after that when its already 9-10pm I get hungry and grub like crazy. Plus I have a red bull addiction.

alek

quote RQ:

Well I decided to take note of what I was eating yesterday and never really paid attention or realized that my diet sucks till I saw it written down!

7am
    3 eggs
    3 strips bacon
    2 pieces of sourdough
    2 glasses of Naked Juice

10am
    1 Snickers

11am
    2 Granola bars

2pm
    Chicken breast sandwich
    Multigrain bread with mayonnaise
    ? an avocado
    ? a tomato

5pm
    4 granola bars

9pm
    3 drumsticks and 3 thighs from El Pollo Loco
    ? an avocado

1am
    Microwave pizza and a corndog

Also drank 4 24oz bottles of water throughout the day, don’t drink soda unless it comes with the combo meal :rolleyes:

Actually now that I look at it its really not THAT bad, main problem is the pizza and corndog at 1am.

alek

quote RQ:

hahaha. can’t help but laugh.

Anyways, preach away if you want to, my brother is a vegan, tries to push that crap on me whenever he gets a chance. Mom and dad used to be as well but they stopped.

I’m trying to add in more fruits and veggies, but touch my meat and I kill you chair

We’ll see how it goes, today not eating much, polished off about 600ml’s of Jack yesterday. Been drinking plenty of water though 🙂

Hah ya man my sister is a Vegan to, seems like all she eats is tofu, if i try to eat that stuff ill gag.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: