Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Personal Training Advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Not sure if this is the right place to do this or not because I believe a lot of people here are self motivated but I could be wrong.

If my school offered Krav training 5 days a week I would be there with bells and whistles on everyday but unfortunately that is not the case. I am relegated to Krav training 2 times a week and hopefully sometime in the future when we finally get 10 people with Boxing gear we will start sparring on Friday nights.

I want to lose about 25-30lbs and get in the best shape of my life but I’m having real difficulty with motivation and workout routines (IE what to work on).

Personal Trainers are way to expensive for someone who lives on a Military paycheck and I am at a total loss as to where to go from here.

I need motivation, inspiration, someone to give me advice & adjust my workouts for me when I need it.

Am I asking to much here or is there something I can do?

Frankly I’m tired of being overweight. If they asked me to join “Biggest Loser” tomorrow I would take leave and pack my bags but that just isn’t going to happen.

kmman

Re: Personal Training Advice

crossfit.com

quote KMMAN:

crossfit.com

KMMAN I don’t have the facilities to do crossfit. Most gyms will not allow you to do Olympic style lifting and I would need instruction on many of the exercises.

Crossfit gyms are expensive. I was quoted a 10-20 workout session from $135-$250 and that doesn’t include the fundamentals classes that run $150 for 3 classes.

I would love more than anything to do Crossfit but I just don’t see how I could possibly accomplish it.

vinman

check your pm’s

kmcat

quote HazardousSmoker:

… Am I asking to much here or is there something I can do? …

Some on the forum are thumbs down on doing things like running and bicycling I think they can provide a good supplement to a routine. If you are doing the fitness classes at your KM place that can be a big help as well.

Running can be hard on the joints but does provide a lot of exercise. Bicycling can provide just about as much exercise as running but does not have the joint stress of running. Also biking is more relaxing and it is easier to motivate yourself to do than running. It also provides a nice way to connect with nature.

If you don’t care for road riding you can do mountain (or “all terrain”) biking. Depending on the types of trails you do you can get more exercise from mountain biking (overall it is harder). However, mountain does have more of a learning curve than road and for both road & mountain, equipment expense is a factor.

Another thing to consider is swimming. If you can get a gym or YMCA membership where they have a pool, swimming is a great exercise as well.

This winter I have been using an indoor pool at the gym to add to my routine, swimming laps and doing calisthenics in the pool (the resistance the water adds provides a really good boost to the routines).

garddawg

Hazordous,
    I have two guys who used to train with me who now work in Virginia Beach. Both are certified CrossFit trainers. Might be able to help you out.

quote KMCat:

Some on the forum are thumbs down on doing things like running and bicycling I think they can provide a good supplement to a routine. If you are doing the fitness classes at your KM place that can be a big help as well.

There are no fitness classes at my KM place. The school is primarily a TKD school.

I am currently running about 3 miles a day at 3 times a week as well.

Next month I am participating in an 8K race for the first time. This is the year I finally decided to participate in as many 5k and 10k races as I can. Not for anything other than a personal goal for myself.

mara-jade

Hi HS!

Man, what a bummer on no fitness classes. Yeah, it can get boring doing ‘traditional’ exercises like running, etc.

Have you considered possibly doing kettlebell exercises? It’s excellent strength training. You don’t need tons of room to do the exercises, BUT it definitely would do good to keep ANY BREAKABLES OUT OF THE WAY:D:

I know when I first heard about it, I couldn’t find kettlebells to buy except online (never did cause shipping was NUTS) but I think nowadays it may be easier. I was able to find some Reebok ones at a base exchange recently. This is the book I’ve used in helping me when I got started.

http://www.amazon.com/Shape-Complete-Kettlebell-Exercises-Training/dp/B000EDGOEE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203217734&sr=8-14

I will say now I’ve been doing more cardio cause our kettlebell classes right now conflict with taking my 2/3 and 3/4 classes so I’ve been out it a bit. I’m hoping to start doing them at home now so I don’t miss out

Wish ya the best of luck!:wav:

unstpabl1

Garddawgs website is great so check it out

http://www.rosstraining.com

Buy his book “Never Gymless” Excellent

giant-killer

Maybe you could join a regular gym that has some cardio classes, such as cardio kickboxing etc. Shouldn’t be too expensive and may provide a good workout, plus weight exercises. 24 hour fitness has also instructional fighting classes, if there is one near you (such as some ground fighting and savate maybe). Or join a Muay Thai place, so you can get some extra sparring in.

kmman

Ditto on KMCat’s cycling advice. Once the weather breaks 50 here I will get on the road. Mountain biking is fun but too dangerous for me! I tend to jump off ledges and smack into trees!

quote garddawg:

Hazordous,
    I have two guys who used to train with me who now work in Virginia Beach. Both are certified CrossFit trainers. Might be able to help you out.

Garddawg check your PM

thejew

Anyone’s progress IMO is over 85% diet, which you seem to be focused more on the 15% exercise.

quote TheJew:

Anyone’s progress IMO is over 85% diet, which you seem to be focused more on the 15% exercise.

I beg to differ. Diet is definitely important, but I think that as far as priority is concerned, I would put an emphasis on exercise. If you get yourself motivated about your workout, a good (or at least decent) diet will follow. If you’re eating crap or not balancing your caloric intake, you will definitely feel it in your exercise. Almost by default, you will start to make positive changes in your diet. On the other hand, if you focus on diet (85% you said), odds are your body is not going to adjust well to the sudden drop of calories. Your workouts are going to take a lot more effort and you’re not going to get as much out of them. As far as motivation is concerned… Focus on exercise, don’t ignore diet, and make gradual improvement instead of trying to make drastic changes you can’t stick to.

J-

vinman

quote downforlife76:

I beg to differ. Diet is definitely important, but I think that as far as priority is concerned, I would put an emphasis on exercise. If you get yourself motivated about your workout, a good (or at least decent) diet will follow. If you’re eating crap or not balancing your caloric intake, you will definitely feel it in your exercise. Almost by default, you will start to make positive changes in your diet. On the other hand, if you focus on diet (85% you said), odds are your body is not going to adjust well to the sudden drop of calories. Your workouts are going to take a lot more effort and you’re not going to get as much out of them. As far as motivation is concerned… Focus on exercise, don’t ignore diet, and make gradual improvement instead of trying to make drastic changes you can’t stick to.

J-

how many ppl do you see at the gym working out on a regular basis, but always look the same ??

seems to me that they dont do their homework, and eat correctly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: