Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Personal Training Advice

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    thejew

Re: Personal Training Advice

quote Vinman:

how many ppl do you see at the gym working out on a regular basis, but always look the same ??

seems to me that they dont do their homework, and eat correctly

Exactly Vinman.

Sorry DFL, but diet IS more essential to your progress than exercise. Now I didn’t tell him he doesn’t need to focus or get to training did I? He just needs to focus more on what’s important.

Get your diet right everything else will fall right into place, I guarantee you that.

thejew

quote downforlife76:

I beg to differ.
    , if you focus on diet (85% you said), odds are your body is not going to adjust well to the sudden drop of calories. Your workouts are going to take a lot more effort and you’re not going to get as much out of them.

J-

Sorry again bro, but if you eat right you would actually have MORE energy to get through your workouts.

quote TheJew:

Sorry again bro, but if you eat right you would actually have MORE energy to get through your workouts.

It depends. I had a lot of soldiers that tried to drop weight because they were borderline on Army standards. They would get so anal abou their diet that their caloric intake wasn’t enough to support their daily activities as well as the extra exercises they were trying to do. During regular PT, they would fall back on runs and not be able to complete all of the exercises. During road marches, they would get tired very early on.

On the other hand, I put on some weight when I came off of active duty. After I got over obsessing over my diet and started eating reasonably (smaller meals more often), I took off the majority of what I was trying for within about a month. The difference? I had enough calories to get through my day, I felt better during and after my workouts, and I wasn’t getting demotivated if I decided I was going to go out and grab a burger.

Vin, I agree with you. There are a lot of people who go into the gym and don’t make any improvement. There are several reasons for that and diet is definitely a big one. You can’t just have a healthy diet or just have a good workout routine and expect results, you need a good mix. Alternately, I’ve seen plenty of people who go on diets and don’t workout who end up staying in the same shape (round). The key, as I’m sure we’d all agree, is a good combination of the two. My point is that if you have a well ballanced workout routine (not just going to the gym for 30 minutes a day and randomly picking up weights), a healthy, or at least healthIER diet will follow.

J-

Where’s my brain at today anyways? Sheesh….

To address the original question… You are still active duty, correct? If I remember correctly you are in the Navy. When I was on active duty, we had a lot of free programs on post that would assist in getting people back into “fighting shape”. I didn’t use any of them, but they are supposed to work fairly well.

When I was in Afghanistan, I got in the best shape I’ve ever been in because I actively looked for people in my company who were in shape to work out with. The military is full of rediculously in-shape people who are always looking for a gym/running partner. Link up with some and tell them that you want to get back in shape and need a gym partner. I’ve never had anyone (when I was still in, anyways) turn me down. Obviously you need to motivate yourself to keep up, but it’s definitely a route I’d personaly recomend.

J-

unstpabl1

Yeah DLF, Based on expirience I’m gonna disagree with you also. I will give you a few examples. A while back I lost 12lbs in 16 days. I made one change…I quit drinking soda. No workouts, nothing. Just didn’t drink soda. Ate whatever else I wanted.

A number of years ago I needed to lose weight for a play. I learned bodybuilding from pros. Vince Gironda being the last. I was always a skinny kid, so I never worried about diet. I went into the gym,90 minute w/o,6 days a week for 12 weeks. Didn’t lose a pound,waist stayed the same. I was pissed. Switched to the Body For Life Program. 45 minute w/o’s,3x’s a week,20 minute aero 3 x’s a week. Meaning my workouts were more intense in the original 12 week program. However in 6 weeks, I lost 25lbs and something like 7 inches on the waist.

The big difference was the diet. How we eat triggers our metabolism.

Jack Lalanne said exercise is king. Nutrition is Queen. He’s the real deal, but from expirience I didagree. To me. Nutrition is king. Exercise is queen.

Funny story one day I’m caddying. Carry putters while keeping up with a players on carts. One turns to her husband and says “you know we should start walking for exercise”. I looked at her and said ” Ma’am walking is over rated for losing weight. Look at the caddy’s.. we walk everyday,faster than the players with 60lbs on our backs. I bet our average weight is 240. we got a guy carries every day. Gotta be almost 400lb. His son and 2 nephews, maybe 50lbs less

unstpabl1

quote downforlife76:

It depends. I had a lot of soldiers that tried to drop weight because they were borderline on Army standards. They would get so anal abou their diet that their caloric intake wasn’t enough to support their daily activities as well as the extra exercises they were trying to do. During regular PT, they would fall back on runs and not be able to complete all of the exercises. During road marches, they would get tired very early on.

On the other hand, I put on some weight when I came off of active duty. After I got over obsessing over my diet and started eating reasonably (smaller meals more often), I took off the majority of what I was trying for within about a month. The difference? I had enough calories to get through my day, I felt better during and after my workouts, and I wasn’t getting demotivated if I decided I was going to go out and grab a burger.

J-

Thats the key to firing up the metabolism. 6 meals a day. Otherwise the body starts prorecting itself. So when you start staving yourself the metabolism slows down to protect you

garddawg

If your goal is to drop weight and “look” good then diet is primary. The reason people don’t change much year after year when they go to the gym, is that they won’t do the hard work of changing their diet. If your goal is to be in good shape then your workout needs to be primary. The reason people go to the gym year after year and don’t see results (their not significantly faster, stronger etc…) is they aren’t willing to do the kind of work that actually makes them better.

Best results of course comes from a combination of both, proper nutrition and proper training.

Unstpabl, I’ll definitely agree with you on the soda thing. As I stated before, I’m not saying that you can just workout and see results as far as losing weight. Actualy, I said the opposite. There needs to be ballance. I’m a strong advocate of a common sense diet and a good workout routine that you can stick with. What’s that mean? It’s different for everyone. From my experience though, it’s much tougher to stick with a strict diet than a strict workout routine. I’m just stating where I’ve seen results.

Garddawg has a good point too. It depends on what your goals are. A lot of guys I know don’t look cut, but can run far and fast and push a crazy amount of weight in the gym. I’m sure if they tweaked their diet, they would look more astheticly pleasing and boost their preformance even more. Hell, when I was in top shape, I never had a 6 pack. I think the main reason is that we were already exceeding the standards (APFT, road mach, bmi, etc) and we were comfortable where we were at.

thejew

quote downforlife76:

their caloric intake wasn’t enough to support their daily activities as well as the extra exercises they were trying to do.

J-

That pretty much sums it up, that’s not proper nutrition.

During spring and summer I cut down to about 5% bodyfat, and still able to have energy for 3 hours of JJ, an hour of boxing or muay thai and an hour weight training.

And yes ther’s a difference between looking good and being strong/fit. Look at fedor, he’s over 30% bodyfat but that doesn’t matter. most powerlifters are big ol fatties, but strong as an ox.

Anyways, do make sure you don’t starve yourself, I get in at least 8 meals a day even when I’m cutting.

unstpabl1

quote garddawg:

. The reason people don’t change much year after year, is that they won’t do the hard work of changing The reason people don’t see results is they aren’t willing to do the kind of work that actually makes them better.

Garddawg, I edited your post to get to the heart of the matterthumbsup Hope everyone is well

The thing is though from my perspective when people join a gym at first, they are there to change the way they look. ( In General) So when they put in the work and there are limited results in the mirror, they quit. If people come in think exercise is primary, they set themselves up for failure. If they focus on simple dietary changes they will see results. After all a w/o is an hour of the day, its the other 23 hours that make the difference. Meaning recovery.

12 weeks of busting my ass for no loss was really frustrating. Same thing happened under a hardcore combat conditioning cycle with Dino. 30 days of the hardest w/o’s I ever did and I think I lost 5 lbs. Changed the diet and lost almost 12 lbs in a week. My w/o’s were brutal, but diet was key. Now I’m screwed because that diet activates gout, so I don’t have a clue what to do at this point. Eat like **** it doesn’t hurt. But for anyone else, its the start point.

Because of these expiriences, I also don’t think modality is the key. You can reshape your body using isolation, full body, bw only, yoga or even tai chi. Nutrition fuels it all. Of course as GD’s post points out, its easier said than done. I’m a prime example. Anyone can be a genius. But being a genius don’t mean ****, if you don’t apply it. Story of my life:banghead:rofl2

A lot of great dialog here today thanks for all the comments guys.

I fully understand that dieting is a huge part part of things so don’t think I am neglecting my diet it’s just the opposite. I actually feel quite comfortable right now in how my diet is progressing.

I’m no stranger to weight loss, as in 2000-2001 I lost over 50lbs in a matter of 5 months. Right now I am concentrating on balancing my meals out with a healthy portion of equal parts fat, protein, & carbohydrates from vegetables & fruits. I am doing more studying on the Zone diet in particular and although right now I count calories I may switch to counting zone blocks instead (for those that are familiar with the Zone Diet).

What I am most unsure of is the workout routine and that’s where I needed the most advice.

I have received much great advice so thanks to everyone.

quote downforlife76:

Where’s my brain at today anyways? Sheesh….

To address the original question… You are still active duty, correct? If I remember correctly you are in the Navy. When I was on active duty, we had a lot of free programs on post that would assist in getting people back into “fighting shape”. I didn’t use any of them, but they are supposed to work fairly well.

When I was in Afghanistan, I got in the best shape I’ve ever been in because I actively looked for people in my company who were in shape to work out with. The military is full of rediculously in-shape people who are always looking for a gym/running partner. Link up with some and tell them that you want to get back in shape and need a gym partner. I’ve never had anyone (when I was still in, anyways) turn me down. Obviously you need to motivate yourself to keep up, but it’s definitely a route I’d personaly recomend.

J-

DFL,

You have it right I am on active duty Navy. I am at a rather small base and the Gym is limited in space and equipment but I do regularly go 3 times per week. Many of the programs are mostly if not all cardio based which is great don’t get me wrong but it is not the complete package.

Currently I am running 3 times per week and doing Krav 2 times per week. Need to mix in more cardio routines and strength conditioning.

Like I said the gym here is tiny and limited on equipment so it’s not the ideal option. The weight room is packed a great deal of the time so thats why I mainly run there.

Been thinking of Golds Gym but what I have really been interested in is CrossFit which hopefully with a little assistance I can get started on somewhere at a relatively inexpensive price.

unstpabl1

[quote=HazardousSmoker;30187]DFL,

the Gym is limited in space and equipment but I do regularly go 3 times per week.

Seriously, go to rosstraining.com. Buy his book Never Gymless. it’ll be there in a few days. He has a forum free for support. Answers his emails and sends the book out himself. You’ll learn how to design your plans and nutrition info as well. He’s a conditioning coach for professional boxers. Don’t take my word for it. I could be an idiot:dunno: Go to his forum and read it. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything negative about him.

mike

I hear ya. I switched over to the National Guard and the gym at my post S-U-C-K-S!!! Luckily, I live right next to an Air Force base which has only one purpose… Housing for officers. Thank God for RHIP, because the gym is right across the street from a 2 star general’s house ;). I was working out at Golds for a while, but stopped because this gym has the same caliber of equipment and no crowd at all. I need to work on getting another gym buddy though… I was working with this one goober who kept flaking on me until he finaly changed his number. Some people will do anything to avoid strenuous exercise. That’ll teach me to pick a hippie as a workout partner :rolleyes:

Anyways, best of luck. I need to start getting my a** into gear as well… I’ve been slacking a bit for the last two weeks. Colorado should be motivation enough thumbsup

J-

[QUOTE=unstpabl1;30188]

quote HazardousSmoker:

DFL,

the Gym is limited in space and equipment but I do regularly go 3 times per week.

Seriously, go to rosstraining.com. Buy his book Never Gymless. it’ll be there in a few days. He has a forum free for support. Answers his emails and sends the book out himself. You’ll learn how to design your plans and nutrition info as well. He’s a conditioning coach for professional boxers. Don’t take my word for it. I could be an idiot:dunno: Go to his forum and read it. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything negative about him.

mike

OK Mike I will check it out.

Thanks again. :):

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: