Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    oasktf

Re: Reacting to Insult

Okay.

So Talking about First to strike.

What would be your option, for more sucess?

ex: kick to the groin, punch to the nose, etc…

stevetuna

Not to be the big wet blanket at the party, but I’d strongly urge you to ask yourself what the encounter is worth in the grand scheme of things.

As a cop, I’ve seen too many lives changed forever by someone’s impulsive decision. To quote Jimmy Buffett, the results can often become a “permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.” There are too many variables in a violent encounter – weapons, other people ready to jump in, criminal and civil legal problems, Murphy’s Law, etc.

Know who you are and what you’re capable of. Walk away if you can. Run away if you must. Defend yourself if you have no other choice. Krav Maga will help you be able to do it very well.

mara-jade

Excellent post Steve. I always hope I NEVER have to use KM but it’s there if I have no other way out.

I’m taking your quote Steve and sticking it on my Sig 🙂

guitarded-1

Let’s make a distinction here…physical threat vs. words. Look – words are words. However, when those words are spoken directly in your face with a chest bump or two…like it or not… you are about to be in a fight. The words are often just a byproduct of the real matter at hand…a physical confrontation. I don’t let the words get under my skin. You can spout off all you want to me from a safe distance.

The point is…insults are irrelevant. What is relevant is body language and where you draw the line between deescalating and striking. I live my life in such a way as to never invite or create conflict…and therefore I don’t have to guess when force is appropriate. There is no good reason for anyone to grab me, push me, or be in my face…all of those situations would be met with an instant physical response.

seeq-qc

Guys hurling insults at people they don’t know without cause are either 1. drunk, 2. moronic windbags, 3. armed or 4. any combination of the above three.

It’s best to ignore and keep a fair distance from all four. Now if they insist on buying a ticket to this ride… :abx:

gregg

Wanna an European point of view?

Working as a bouncer in a nightclub, i’m quite often confronted with insulting people. I can tell you this: The one that says insults don’t induce any feeling in him is a liar or a joker. As you said some insults have a real power…

When you get insulted all the night without being authorized to counter it, you really feel it at the morning. Water drops make holes in rocks… But you eventually get used to it and just store it somewhere for the one who’s gonna make the mistake to touch you. That’s method one; Another method (mine) is to just try to get in the guy’s shoes: Why is he gobbing that? What’s wrong with his life, his father? You can eventually even get a little bit sympathetic with him and say to yourself “Poor boy… He’s insulting me because I’m heading for my warm sofa in front of the TV while he’ll get back to his wife who’s gonna beat him up again”

In the other hand KM will build up your self confidence. When you’ll have enough you’ll just look at him and say to yourself “Look at this stupid looking for troubles with me. He obviously haven’t any idea who he’s messing with…”

First thing to do? Make him repeat it. It’s incredible how much people do hesitate A LOT to repeat an insult they just said when you ask them firmly to… If they do tough, then they’re probably looking for a fight.

Then you can again begin to wonder why he’s looking for this fight. Maybe he is drunk, maybe he’s got 3 budies behind the car (most of the time actually), maybe he’s got a screwdriver in his pocket: Carefull with the hands, carefull with body language, carefull with distances…

If you go for the first strike’S (and not strike), i’ll only say that: Strike hard and agressively untill he drops. When you make the decision to get into the fight you STICK with this decision, no time for second guess after having kicked a guy in the nuts…

Hope my point of view helped you a little bit

rd672

Totally agree when it’s on it’s on.

rockyfighter

When someboby insults me, I normally do not know the person, I don’t want to know him and probably I’m not gonna see him again in my life…so there’s no reason for escalating the situation. Stay calm and go away with a smile! ;):

gregg

Hi sergeant Wighom!

You don’t have to know him and his reason, just try to guess 😉

What if you can’t go away?

chuck-dugan

quote F-Factory:

I believe this clip shows what kind of restraint one can practice:
    http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/649221/1075f023/britse_burenruzie.html

But there is a point when enough is enough…

Regards from Munich,
    John

Ok, that video officially made my day thumbsup

rockyfighter

quote Gregg:

Hi sergeant Wighom!

You don’t have to know him and his reason, just try to guess 😉

What if you can’t go away?

If he doesn’t let me go, it isn’t an insult anymore, but a physical attack, so I have a right for self-defense.

gregg

That’s black and white. What if it’s grey? 😉 What if it’s your jb to stay there and the guy doesn’t really restrict you there ?

That’s a great comment ‘water drops make holes in rocks’..

I think a good general rule of thumb is words remain words..

Fwiw – compared to the US, bouncers and law enforcement officers in a number of European countries tend to deal with a much higher level of verbal and even physical abuse from the public than their American counterparts would ever tolerate. In the UK and some European nations, verbally abusing officers often tends to go ‘unpunished’ & even resisting arrest / scuffling is typically met with a small fine, if anything.

Fwiw II I’ve heard from one nightclub bouncer I know that the KM techniques work great for him when things get physical – they’ll get part way through a choke or bear hug type technique & notice the aggressor (who not infrequently turns up at a later date to apologize for being an idiot) is already ‘out’ on the ground.

gregg

^^ There’s a lot of tricks. I dont like it taht much but they are sometimes necessary.

One of them in to stand in a stairway when somebody in pushing you. It’s makes it a more serious threat.

kravmdjeff

Reading SteveTuna’s post, I wanted to clarify. I do think that one should respond different to a verbal threat than to an insult. That does NOT mean I think one should categorically respond with violence to a verbal threat. In Dave Grossman’s book, “On Killing”, he points out that in a confrontation, there is more than just “fight or flight”…there is also “posturing” (a softer version of fight), and “submission”(a softer version of fleeing).

For the relevance of the discussion here, I think the key is to be able to differentiate whether or not a person is posturing (i.e.-using verbal attacks/insults/threats INSTEAD of a physical attack), or testing your boundaries (i.e.-using verbal attacks/insults/threats AS A PRELUDE to a physical attack). I’ve seen it happen both ways.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: