Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    lor

Ugh, I hurt myself on Monday. I think it’s a simple sprain in the shoulder, or at least I hope it is.

No bruising, no visible swelling, and my range of motion is fine for the most part. I just have constant pain in the front of the shoulder, sometimes traveling down to the elbow. 4 Advil takes the edge off, but it never goes completely away. I can use the arm if I have to, but I tend to want to keep it still. Even turning the steering wheel while driving hurts.

This is a first for me (figures…I have a workshop on Sunday 🙁 ). Any advice from those of you who have dealt with shoulder issues? Thanks!

taikei

Could be something else

I can’t diagnose every shoulder situation, but from my experience, slight bicept and tricept pull will sometimes end up in shoulder pain.

If this pain is linked to elbow, that’s a possibility.

My problem was with my bicept pulling the shoulder, so the spot I detected was the upper joint of bicept. I used to dig in my hands under my arm pit and massaged it. I can’t recall the outcome, but at least it was a reliever.
    Rubb around your upper arm and find anywhere that you feel some kind of comfort.

garddawg

Lor,
    How did it happen?

dkst

I suffer from bad shoulders, especially, since KM. You are in the Chicago area, go to Athletico for what should be a free consoltation. They will test your range, give you some stretches. The reason it should be free is that they want your business if you should have to rehab it.

When I went they told me they are seeing more and more injuries becuase more and more people are getting into fighting type classes. It is the rotator-cuff (sp?) that is most likely your pain (I’m guessing). At least at my school they don’t spend a lot of time stretching that stuff out. Don’t get me wrong we warm up and stretch I’m not complaining.

I fight everyday with pain, sometimes after a bag class I can’t even lift my arm, it is just a matter of how much pain you want to put yourself in. Go get it checked out, don’t mess with it, at the very least you will know if you are making things worse or not.

lor

Taikei, that sounds like me. My husband looked me over and decided it’s probably bicipital tendonitis. (Of course, that was just a quick physical exam done in the kitchen.)

Garddawg, I think it was a combination of things. I rotated my shoulder a little too much last week, but since I recovered quite quickly from it, I didn’t give it much thought. 2 days later I did the Bas CD, and my arm started throbbing. Waited a couple more days and tried weight training (chest press and butterfly), and later that day was when I started really feeling it.

I should have paid attention to the warning signs earlier. Instead I thought I’d just recover like always.

The good news is that I still have great range of motion. But the constant pain is brand new. I’m not used to having to baby a limb.

lor

Dkst, thank you for the referral! I’m kind of lucky in that my husband has friends in all kinds of specialties, so I usually end up on their examining tables. Never hurts to get a second opinion though.

We warm up and stretch in class, which is great. There’s little doubt I did this to myself at home, which is funny because I’m usually the first one to tell people, \”Don’t push too hard.\” Too bad I didn’t follow my own advice.

What kills me is the timing. I’ve been waiting for this workshop to come around again, and the husband is available to watch the kids, so all systems were go. I’m hoping for a miracle by Sunday.

*takes 4 more Advil and prepares for Healing Meditation…make that Super Healing Meditation* 🙄

jl

Lor,
    Sorry to hear about your injury. 🙁 I am a firm believer in ice therapy. I don’t no if it’s still viable now, but after you workout maybe it would help the soft tissue and nerve endings.
    Think baseball pitcher goes for 8 innings comes off the field, the first thing he does is strap on the ice bag. It has always helped me recover at a much higher rate. Maybe it will help you as well. I hope it does.

g-v

Where’s Mister Miyagi to slap and rub his hands together before placing them on your shoulder, melting away all pain and tension?

Feelin’ your pain, pal. I’ve worked through various injuries in krav class, the worst being tendonitis in my south paw. I’d recommend giving yourself time to heal, but I myself tend to rarely follow this advice.

g-v
    anonymous

So, is the injury more in the joint or in the muscle? I’d say ice and maybe try to massage it. Once it has healed somewhat there are also exercises you can do with a very light dumbbell, moving the arm up and down, to rebuild strength.

I got a shoulder injury once, when I was wrestling with this big guy. I was 100 pounds at the time and he was 250. 🙁 Anyway, he got me in a shoulderlock. It wasn’t even a very good one, but he just pulled up and oouch! It hurt, but I still went on to fight another guy, who was 200 pounds and pretty skilled. He got me in a chokehold from the back and I defended and ultimately got out of it, all with that injured shoulder. The pain got worse, but I still took a Muay Thai class.

Anyway, when I got home it was pretty bad and the next day I couldn’t even hold a paper towel with my injured arm, it was too painful. Seems as if the worst of the pain always needs some time to develop.

I just iced it and kept it still, it improved a lot over the next few days, then I started doing some exercises with dumbbells etc and kept massaging it. When I could train again I eased back into it slowly. It took some time to heal completely, it’s still a bit stiff today (this happened years ago). Hopefully yours isn’t as bad.

clfmak
    quote :

Where’s Mister Miyagi to slap and rub his hands together before placing them on your shoulder, melting away all pain and tension?

\”In Korea, shoulders don’t break.\”

lor

Thanks for the tips (and the sympathy 🙂 ).

Today is the first day it started feeling a little better. I’m going to the workshop but promised myself I’d back off if I couldn’t handle it.

I’ll be a good girl and let it heal. I think I’ll check out the Yoga class our school offers while I’m recovering ~ maybe I can get Bert to hang out and meditate with us. 😛

bradm

Lor,
    In my opinion, any type of injury shoulder or otherwise, don’t mess with it. Get it checked out if the pain pursists. At the minimum, let it heal before you continue strenous training. Then take it easy until you are sure the injury has healed. I’m certainly not a doctor or a theropist, just a voice of experience. I’ve had several injuries from training ranging from broken/bruised ribs, broken foot (twice), broken ankle, both shoulders injured, and who knows how many major bruises and sprains.

When I broke my foot the first time, I thought it had healed well enough to go back to class. Although it still hurt, I kept it wrapped tight thinking it would be okay. After a couple training classes induring the pain, I broke it again in the same spot. That time I was out of training longer.

When I injured my right shoulder, I tried to nurse it along – going to the doctor, getting cortizone shots, theorpy, etc. I never fully let it heal, then during a kicking drill I slipped and fell on the shoulder. Had to have surgeory and a whole lot of theorpy for over a year before I could started training again. It seems I was my own worst enemy when it came to injuries, pain, and recovery.

About a year ago, I injured my left shoulder doing some BJJ stuff in my Krav class. It is a Type 2 AC shoulder seperation. Bad enough to be there the rest of my life, not bad enough for surgeory or theropy. So I live with it. But, I have learned to take it easier and not do anything in class that may cause more injury to that shoulder. There are only a few things that I have trouble with now. Pushups is one that puts too much strain on the shoulder. So when we have to do pushups in class, I do them on my knees. At first I could only do about 5. But I have slowly srenghtened that area of the shoulder to the point that I can slowly do about 30. I’m slowly working into being able to so full body pushups again.

My new motto now is: \”If you’re in pain, don’t train\”.

philst

First off, i’m a new user on this board, so hi to one and all!

As to this thread, I broke my foot just over a year ago, my doctors advice to me at that time (for that or any injury) was \”if it don’t hurt, do it, if it does hurt, you’re risking more damage\”. Very frustrating when you’re sidelined for weeks!

lor

Yeah…think I’m off to officially see the doctor. I just did a little stretching today, and it’s hurting quite a bit. Plus my hand is doing the pins-n-needles thing, which means something is getting pinched.

Thank you for sharing your stories! Though instinctively I know I need to avoid pushing things, it helps to hear from others. It seems to cement the idea in my head.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: