Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    daki

Let me know if you need the name of a good orthapedic in the area. I have had a few frozen shoulders in the past and those take a bit of time to heal (and a good dose of lodine to help speed the process along).

lor

Thank you! 🙂 It’s much better today (I limped through my Yoga workshop this weekend ~ couldn’t do much, but at least I didn’t reinjure it), so I’m hoping to be back to class soon.

I also have an IMPACT course coming up in 2 weeks (I don’t know if you’re familiar with it…it’s a 2 weekend course that teaches basic self defense to women). I’m praying my shoulder will be in decent shape by then.

daki

Good to hear. Just keep tabs on it and perhaps throw a heating pad on your shoulder at night just to be safe.

I wasn’t familiar with IMPACT before you mentioned it. Here’s hoping it heals up quickly.

lor

Bicipital Tendonitis. Looks like I did too much too fast.

The doc wants me resting for at least 6 – 8 weeks with a *gradual* return to activity. He warned me that this injury can easily become chronic.

This may sound silly to some of you, but what really breaks my heart is that I cannot perform Yoga (I rely heavily on shoulder strength and rotation during my practice.). Since I did this to myself, I cannot even get into a simple Down Dog without pain. That’s a first. I casually refer to Yoga as a hobby of mine, but in reality, it’s a big part of my life. The thought that I may have opened the door for a chronic problem in my practice freaks me out.

I have a personal Yoga Sabbatical planned for this summer, so I’m going to use this time to concentrate on healing my shoulder properly. I will be ending my Krav training at this point.

I had a small taste of Krav and admire those of you who have made it your passion. It requires such hard work and determination to hang in there, and yet you all manage to do it, seemingly easily. Thank you, thank you for letting me participate on this forum. I appreciate getting the chance to learn from you, and I wish you all the best!

g-v

You droppin out of krav? 🙁

Well Lor, good luck to ya. I hope your shoulder recovers soon.

anonymous

Lor,

that’s sad to hear. I wonder if you shouldn’t reconsider. Especially, since KM apparently didn’t cause the injury. You could make sure to have it heal completely before you are coming back and then take it easy. Yoga might actually be harder on your shoulder than Krav Maga.

Even if you decide to stop, are you still going to be posting on the forum? We would hate to lose you… 🙂

lor

Well, I hadn’t considered sticking around to bug ya’ll, but if you insist. 😛

Actually, I do plan on giving the forum my review of the IMPACT course. I figure the women in your lives (and other women on this forum) might appreciate hearing about it.

Yoga requires a certain amount of upper body strength (the more advanced, the more required), but it’s not jarring or excessive. It’s all very controlled and can be modified for therapeutic purposes. It will end up being excellent therapy for me provided I let myself heal properly.

That’s the key, of course. The doc says it’s up to me to NOT give into the temptation to resume full activity before I’m healed, otherwise 6 weeks could turn into 6 months. I can’t have that. A) What a pain in the butt and B) I have plans for the summer that will require full use of my arm.

I’m a little bummed that I won’t be where I’d like to be physically for this summer’s classes and workshops (and there’s a HUGE annual conference here in Chicago in May), but that’s not the goal anymore. Now it’s to be pain free and 100%. Right now, I’m in pain just putting on my coat. 😕

daki

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Lor.

lor

Thank you. Hey, I have to drop a letter off sometime this week. Maybe I’ll see you and Gene around. And feel free to use my Ebola excuse when necessary. 😀

I have been thinking about this on and off over the weekend. Perhaps I’ll be back in the Fall (when all is healed, and I’m feelin’ super groovy after all that meditating). Of course, by then I will have made the complete transition from semi-hipster dufus to total new age Yogi.

\”Must we feed violence with more violence? Can we not use our hands to instead embrace our enemy with compassion and forgiveness?\”

That would probably earn me some extra Lay Downs. 😛

daki

I’ve known a few people that suffered from that type of tendonitis and, once the initial inflamation goes down, you should be fine. Getting it in the shoulder is probably the worst place because there isn’t any type of brace or strap you can wear to stop it.

lor

Exactly. Having the arm at 90 degrees (as if in some kind of sling) would be painful. I’m at my most comfortable when the arm is hanging at my side.

*light bulb goes on*

Which means…carrying laundry baskets is a no-no. 🙂

*runs to inform unlucky husband*

jarcher

Re:

quote \”Lor\:

*runs to inform unlucky husband*

No, lucky husband, since he has gotton out of carrying it thus far…

lor

😯 Excellent point!

jarcher

Don’t tell my wife! 😆

tamar

Dislocated Shoulder

Speaking of Shoulder issues….

I’ve been taking KM now for 8 months – try to do at least 2 classes a day, but I’m working on a dislocated left shoulder which i’ve already had surgery on it 1999 (dislocated in a car accident in 1998). Unfortunately, the surgery did not help the condition – only the pain (which in itself was worth it).

They told me my shoulder socket is \”too loose\” – the bone that holds the shoulder in, is too flat and not round enough to hold in the joint….the only way to fix it is to have the shoulder reconstructed….that is a major major surgery as well as very painful so I’ve been trying not to do that…

So, I was wondering, is working on a dislocated shoulder a bad thing? Can it make it worse?

Need some advice – Tamar

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: