Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    michaelmall

Well some of the some the guys and I where messing around
    and one of grabbed the sleeve of my jacket.I soon found out this
    kind of deletes your punching attacks.Anybody have anything
    on this.

mariusnc

Re: sleeve grabs

Maybe the wrist-release would work here? A quick, jerking motion to break the hold. Or maybe you can wrap your own arm around your attacker’s and lock it. And use kicks or knees, maybe headbutts.

mara-jade

Wrapping your arm around is generally NOT a good idea. You wanna keep the control, not the give an attacker the chance to get it back. Now you’re as stuck to him as he is to you.

Hmm- wonder if you could just get your arm out of the jacket while doing combatives? Need to ask in class next time and try that at home – thanks for the scenariothumbsup

stevetuna

I think that the answer depends upon the context of the grab. Is it a goofy drunken friend who’s simply acting up or is it an attacker who has surprised you?

The first – soft technique – use a small circle move towards his thumb. Presto!

The second – side kick to knee, punch with free hand, head butt, etc.

leejam99

why not just kick him in the groin. i’m pretty sure he’ll let go… try it without telling him.

huginn

I would say, make a sideturn so his thumb becomes exposed, then with your free hand grab the thumb(palm of your hand on his thumb) en push his thumb down towards his pinky(be carefull not to hurt your sparringpartner).

don

As has been mentioned, punches are just One of your tools – you have plenty more to choose from (head, knees, feet/shins, possibly elbows, throws, holds/locks, etc)! Unless there are mitigating circumstances, you counter immediately, violently, and explosively – make the BG want to let go of You.

I think it’s great that you are “messing around”. How heavy is the jacket you’re wearing? Is it zipped up or not? Can you slip out of it quickly or not? Is the “BG” grabbing sleeve only or sleeve and hand/wrist/arm? Where on the sleeve is he grabbing? Is he grabbing same side or cross ways? Is he using one hand or two? Is he grabbing both your sleeves or just one? Is he pulling, yanking, or otherwise trying to control you with the grab? If one hand, what is he doing with his other hand or other tools? Does he also have something on you can grab? What if he then pulls your jacket/sweatshirt over your head a la hockey jersey style? What if there is more than one BG? etc…

don

I almost forgot to reference Stevetuna’s recent eye-opening incident where he was dealing with a BG AND a dog and the dog had a hold of his primary gun hand/arm.

phlegmon27

Go for the eyes. He’ll let go.

kirsten

I second James’ response! And MJ is 100% correct on not wrapping your arm up, it’s a good way to get taken down.

la-revancha

quote MariusNC:

Maybe the wrist-release would work here? A quick, jerking motion to break the hold.

I agree here. The principles of wrist releases, and plucks even, help out tremendously when grip fighting/clinch fighting in judo/jits/muay thai. This even goes when somebody grabs your shirt or jacket at the collar.

Common thug may let go after a headbutt, or a kick to the nuts, but watch some hockey fights for bad case scenarios-there is plenty of exchanges before someone lets go.

And let’s say wrist releases and kicks to the nuts/headbutts prolong the situation-might be a good time to utilize 2-on-1 takedown series/sode-tsurkiomi gosh series.

THIS IS WHY IT’S IMPORTANT TO CROSS-TRAIN!!

kirsten

quote La Revancha:

might be a good time to utilize 2-on-1 takedown series/sode-tsurkiomi gosh series.

Well that won’t work well for me… too many movements and if I am on ice or gravel I may bite it. I did the hip throw for years in Hapkido and TKD and it was difficult even then for me at 125 to toss a 200 lb man. I leave that to you guys. I will continue with my wicked ways of groin kicks and headbutts… LOL

But if its going to the ground, and again this is just IMO, I personally think that there is no way in hell am I taking it to the ground unless I am forced there… kicking, screaming, and taking out balls… eyeballs and… well I am sure you can imagine what else AND I crosstrain with the second best person in the industry! If it ends up there cause I am tossed, then it happens… but damned if I am not going to fight it like a cat in a bath.

michaelmall

Didn’t I open a can of worms!It is just an odd thing to have happen,to
    have someone grab your sleeve underneath and control your arm in
    such a way.The guy was a friend of mine.It dose make a good teaching
    possibility

leejam99

again… kick in the groin. why get fancy? I think a simple test would be to have someone hold on to your sleeve as hard as they can. than try the different suggestions here. I can almost say with certainly that any type of release technique would be difficult because of the fact that the clothing is very easy to grab and grip tight and its also flexible and stretchy which make it even that much harder to get the grip released. Now, kick him down below or poke him in the eye and see what the reaction is. keep it simple, direct, pick vulnerable targets that are easy to attack and will get the most bang for your bucks.

kirsten

No can of worms! We love this stuff… and you have KM instructors all chatting it all up, isn’t that the point? So grab your can opener and have at it!! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: