Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    kirsten

Re: sleeve grabs

Come to think of it, head over to the LE side and see if you can light a fire under the Force Instructors pants and get them chatting!!

clfmak

Learning some judo could prove useful. The grip fighting I learned in a little judo made me a lot more comfortable with someone grabbing my sleeve and trying some generally hockey-esque tactics.

la-revancha

Indeed, I’m all for instructors exchanging ideas!

After rereading, I can see the confusion. I meant 2 on 1 control or sode(sleeve) control, not necessarily the takedowns. I use 2 on 1 all the time to break grips in judo/jits without necessarily going for takedowns. Sorry about that!

If all else fails (ie, being a cat in a tub), these are other methods to get them off your sleeve, considering that was the initial question. What you do from there (CONTINUE being a cat in a tub, backing off tactically, or throwing the dude), depends on the defender. I know a well-respected SoCal cop who used sode grip to toss a drug dealer. Broke the douche bag’s arm in the process.

Oh, I spent four years in the frigid mid-atlantic. If I was standing on black ice or even 3-4 inches of snow, groin strikes are indeed available, but I would be apprehensive of throwing any kicks, but that’s just me.

quote leejam99:

I think a simple test would be to have someone hold on to your sleeve as hard as they can. than try the different suggestions here. I can almost say with certainly that any type of release technique would be difficult because of the fact that the clothing is very easy to grab and grip tight and its also flexible and stretchy which make it even that much harder to get the grip released. Now, kick him down below or poke him in the eye and see what the reaction is. keep it simple, direct, pick vulnerable targets that are easy to attack and will get the most bang for your bucks.

Uh, that’s kinda what happens if you randori/roll consistently. You accidently get poked, kicked, elbowed in all sorts of places, and a tolerance can be acquired (which is scary, in a way). Why don’t you stop by my new class next month and we can compare notes!

michaelmall

Kristen I got two force instructor on this already.

jesse

Dunno if it’s any help, but Ryan had us doing sleeve grabs this morning. What he told us was to simply base it on the threat level. If it was friendly enough then just to use the soft wrist releases and add another twist around. Otherwise, to just go ballistic with combatives on them. We all dressed up in long sleeves to practice it. I was wearing a fairly tough hoodie. My partner was strong enough and was grabbing the sleeve for all he was worth. So long as I twisted towards his thumb I never had any problem using the torque to force him to let go long before my sleeve got twisted far enough to be a problem to me. Besides if they’re a monster and won’t let go of the sleeve I’m going to try to get the first hits in anyway. Headbutts and a lot of leg techniques are still available and they’re just as handicapped as I am by the loss of use of the arm. Hopefully, Ryan will chime in on this since he was the one teaching it in the first place. All I’m doing is trying to quote accurately.

kirsten

Sweet Michaelmall… We gotta represent more! 🙂

leejam99

quote La Revancha:

Indeed, Iím all for instructors exchanging ideas!

Uh, thatís kinda what happens if you randori/roll consistently. You accidently get poked, kicked, elbowed in all sorts of places, and a tolerance can be acquired (which is scary, in a way). Why donít you stop by my new class next month and we can compare notes!

if you poke a guy in his eyes and kick the groin hard as you can and he is still standing there holding on to your sleeve because he acquired a tolerance for it….. um… i really doubt that anything else is going to have a huge impact on this person.

sunstar

The groin kick is always good. Palm hand to the face, strike to the jugular notch, cup hand to the ear or axe hand to the side of the neck would be my suggestions.

:abx:

la-revancha

Well, James, we’re going beyond the scope of sleeve grabs, so let’s agree to disagree.

This is just me, but to assume my FKG (or any combative) will always land perfectly with maximal power is short-sighted. It’s a great assumption but there is no gaurantee. Hence why I adopt the ideas of folks like Ryan Hoover, Jeff Jimmo, and Geoff Thompson-improve your support systems and train for worst case scenarios.

I’m outta here.

Jesse, send my best to the RHEK camp. Tell JJ I finally got a copy of On Combat.

leejam99

I think we have to remember that we are in the Krav Maga forum and that the main principles of Krav is that a technique should be easy to learn, easy to remember and easy to execute for anyone.

I would say that if a person (a regular man or woman) can’t execute a groin kick or a poke in the eye, they will probably not be proficient enough to execute any kind of a throw..

kirsten

We little girls learn several things from our moms when we are young. I will share it with all of you. But know that I put my very life in danger by divulging this info with you men…

1. Learn to kick to groin
    2. Learn to poke in the eye if they defend the groin kick
    3. Hide what you buy at the mall and act like its “old”
    4. Cry at will
    5. The “headache”

There is more, but I am already in fear of my life from the “Estrogen Patrol”…

mara-jade

Oh cmon..We gotta give the guys a little hand you knowrofl2rofl2

NINE WORDS WOMEN USE
    (1)Fine: This is the word women use to end an argument when they are right and you need to shut up.

(2)Five Minutes: If she is getting dressed, this means a half an hour. Five minutes is only five minutes if you have just been given five more minutes to watch the game before helping around the house.

(3)Nothing: This is the calm before the storm. This means something, and you should be on your toes. Arguments that begin with nothing usually end in fine.

(4)Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don’t Do It!

(5)Loud Sigh: This is actually a word, but is a non-verbal statement often misunderstood by men. A loud sigh means she thinks you are an idiot and wonders why she is wasting her time standing here and arguing with you about nothing. (Refer back to # 3 for the meaning of nothing.)

(6)That’s Okay: This is one of the most dangerous statements a women can make to a man. That’s okay means she wants to think long and hard before deciding how and when you will pay for your mistake.

(7)Thanks: A woman is thanking you, do not question, or faint. Just say you’re welcome. (I want to add in a clause here – This is true, unless she says ‘Thanks a lot’ – that is PURE sarcasm and she is not thanking you at all. DO NOT say ‘you’re welcome’ . that will bring on a ‘whatever’).

(8)Whatever: Is a woman’s way of saying F– YOU!

(9)Don’t worry about it, I got it: Another dangerous statement, meaning this is something that a woman has told a man to do several times, but is now doing it herself. This will later result in a man asking ‘What’s wrong?’ For the woman’s response refer to # 3.

kirsten

LOL. MJ your gonna be on the “Estrogen Patrol’s” top ten wanted list for that post!!

clfmak

I’ll have to side with La Revancha on this one. They probably have the most experience with someone grabbing the sleeves with full intensity and intent to dominate.

michaelmall

Mara jade , you need to e-mail those to Stevetuna for his
    PMSkrav class.Please do more my wife didin’t come with a manual.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: