Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

Actually, if you are ever wearing some of those shoes in real life, it might make sense to train in them. Just don’t kick your partner in the stomach with some of the heavier models.

Re: Speaking of Shoes

I wear New Balance Cross-Trainers and I have a problem trying to pivot with kicks as they grip way to well on the mats.

Looking for a good pair of not overly costly shoes that I can do kicks in fairly easily on a mat.

Dave Bluestein turned me on to the Nike Air Edge trainer. Best Krav shoe I’ve ever used. The Oakley boots are comfy, and have that nice tactical Walter Mitty thing going, but the pair I have started to fall apart after a week of Krav Force training. I can’t reccomend them.

stevetuna

Re:

quote klem2:

I used to just wear my every day cross trainers. The trouble was, that between everyday use, Krav classes, and other workouts, they wore out just way too fast. These shoes aren’t designed to take much wear on the toes or on the tops so the kicking really took its toll.

That’s been my experience as well. Pivoting and the up/down Bas drills have quickly destroyed every pair of cross trainers that I’ve tried. I’d wear boots like the Oakley’s but I don’t want to scare away the women that we’re just starting to get into the KM classes. I’m going to get off my wallet today and try the Adidas mat shoes that have been suggested.

(here’s hoping that they have wide sizes for my troll-like feets…)

kmman

Unfortunately, if you knew what was going to be covered in class you could adapt your shoe style to it…but you wont be able to do that in the street either.

Just my opinion, but I’d be careful with running shoes because they arent made for side to side movement and they will have the tendency to roll your ankle. Better off with a tennis shoe which is made for side to side.

I’ve been told that flat bottom sneakers are best for support so sneakers like Vans (maybe a bit heavy) or Adidas Samba.

Wrestling shoes I think are most comfortable but are thin and if you run alot it takes getting used to. I use Everalast boxing shoes…the low type (not the high lace up you see fighters wear). They are comfortable, light and allow you to pivate. Either that or I wear cross trainers.

Good topic though, almost all our instructors wear some form of wresting or MA shoe. Would love instructor opinion.

vwr32

Maybe we should address pivoting…

kmman

Martial Arts Shoes have a circular pattern on the ball of the foot specifically for pivoting. Also you can look into Asics wrestling shoes. They have a model thats fairly rigid and offers decent protection. I’ll try to get link

kpalena

I use indoor soccer shoes…..

they work great and last longer than the MA shoes I used earlier.

specifically….Adidas indoor shoes.

I have a pair of the Okaley SF boots. Haven’t used them for Krav, but they are nice, light, comfortable and supportive.

In general, I usualy just train in my running shoes, but I try not to pay too much attention to what I’m wearing to class. In my opinion, you should be training in what you generaly wear on a day to day basis (unless you’re prone to ankle injuries and need more support). Just my .02

kmman

I have Asics (also have Everlast and Adidas) and it’s really going to come down to what you think is more comfortable.

quote downforlife76:

I have a pair of the Okaley SF boots. Haven’t used them for Krav, but they are nice, light, comfortable and supportive.

In general, I usualy just train in my running shoes, but I try not to pay too much attention to what I’m wearing to class. In my opinion, you should be training in what you generaly wear on a day to day basis (unless you’re prone to ankle injuries and need more support). Just my .02

Problem with that theory is pivoting on cross trainers doesn’t work on a matted surface. When in the street you have pavement and possibly gravel beneath your feet which helps in that category and doesn’t stick to your feet the same way a rubber mat does.

quote HazardousSmoker:

Problem with that theory is pivoting on cross trainers doesn’t work on a matted surface. When in the street you have pavement and possibly gravel beneath your feet which helps in that category and doesn’t stick to your feet the same way a rubber mat does.

True. Maybe I’m just too cheap to go buy new shoes? Heh….

J-

gasparem

I am glad thi sthread was started. I have been going barefoot of wearing a pair of light NB running shoes. I find I really need the shoes for warmup, but I rather go barefoot once warmup is over. I just slip off the sneaks once warmup is over. I am going to looking into the TKO sneaks…

giant-killer

I’ve had Asics and Adidas wrestling shoes. Adidas are a lot better in my opinion.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: