Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    sticman

How often do you all train a week? Do you take days off inbetween classes? I think my 4 a weeks are starting to take a toll (tues-thurs, sat), and my body needs to rest a little bit.

ericajow

Re: Training Frequency

I usually go 4 days a week as well (and on a couple of those days I do 2-3 classes.) I’m kind of a fitness class freak. 😉 BUT … I can always tell when I’m overdoing it and if I feel like my body’s worn down or I’m sick, I’ll take a day off. I hate missing my classes (I feel like such a slacker when I do), but it’s much better to take a day when your body needs a rest, than to risk injury or illness d/t overwork. Just listen to your body. 🙂

mara-jade

It just depends on your body. We’ve been going pretty much every day except if we have stuff going on at home then we take a day off and maybe practice at home instead.

Yeah, it sucks to miss a class but sucks more if you burn outthumbsup

sticman

thanks for the input! i just need to find the sweet spot of pushing myself enough so my body is still improving, and not pushing too hard, where i’m just hurting more than helping. one of these days i’m going to get through a pyramid bag workout where i don’t have to switch to modified pushups halfway through 😛

johnl-d11

I train too much and my body has taken a toll the past few months, but before my current muscle sprains my schedule was:

Mondays – It’s kinda my day off.. I teach a fitness class, then bjj
    tuesdays – crossfit, then help teach level 1 KM
    Wed – crossfit – BJJ
    Thurs – I teach BJJ, ground fighting, then sometimes attend a quick circuit training class
    Fri – Crossfit
    Sat – MMA class, help teach level 1 KM, crossfit
    sunday – kettlebell class.

We have 1 level 5 krav class a month on fridays so that takes place instead of going to the crossfit gym.

As a level 1-3 student, I was there every night taking every level 1, 2 and 3 class. In the upper levels, I teach more so I compliment my training with crossfit and fit in a krav class when I can… oh yea, I always retake the tests to make sure I still have my skills. 🙂 5 level 1 tests, 2 level 2’s and counting; we have another level 1 coming in 4 weeks and a level 3 soon as well.

lcash

One of the issues you will face if you overtrain as with any physical fitness is a degredation of your imune system. Your body is constantly trying to heal itself from it’s last workout and if you do another before the healing is complete you begin to wear yourself down. Symptoms of overtraining are sprains, strains, weakness, and succeptability to other illnesses such as colds and flues. Take it from me, I have been a weight trainer for several years and this was written from experience.

That is not to say that you cannot train every day but you cannot go all out every day for extended periods of time without doing some serious damage to your body.

Lcash

blindfold

Usually 3 to 4 times a week and cardio and weights as well.

As said before I canusually tell when the body is getting tired, then it’s time for a free weekend.

tatdad

Just listen to your body. 🙂

agreed
    I train Krav Mon, Wed, and BJJ/Judo on Fri. as well as strength training on Tue, Thur, Sat. but somedays like today I just need a rest. and tomorrow is a new day.

Just a thought, but if you guys are training hard every single day to the week, that would mean that on any single day that you may be attacked, you trained on that day and you are feeling tired and beat up already, possibly with bruises, sore muscles, low energy levels etc.

Don’t you think that might put you at a severe disadvantage against your attacker, rather than training once or twice a week and resting a lot in between?

Yeah, I pretty much found my limit with three or four days a week. Two of those days are about three hours each. I use my off days to do some light running or lifting, some heavy bag work.

vwr32

quote Liquid Rockface:

Don’t you think that might put you at a severe disadvantage against your attacker, rather than training once or twice a week and resting a lot in between?

No. :):

kravspartan

quote Liquid Rockface:

Just a thought, but if you guys are training hard every single day to the week, that would mean that on any single day that you may be attacked, you trained on that day and you are feeling tired and beat up already, possibly with bruises, sore muscles, low energy levels etc.

I was thinking this same thing… Unfortunately, I am limited to only one night a week because that’s the only krav class offered where I am so I don’t have much to contribute to this conversation. However I have sometimes thought about how I could get my butt kicked coming out of the gym!

jay99

I am 4 – 5 day a week 2 hour each day kinda guy with some 3 hour days thrown in and the occasional 1 hour only relaxation night. As fun as it is the body does need rest. I am with Erica in that I feel like a total slacker when I am not training or like I am ditching school. But, I have fell victim to the “over training” bug so like the others advised… Listen to your body. You know yourself well enough to know when you need a rest. So enjoy a night off here and there and come back to kick some a**!

unstpabl1

Adreneline is your friend. Ever been totally exhausted headed for bed and some hot member of the opposite sex calls. Forgot about being tired huhthumbsup

I know this great combat conditioning coach. One of his things is to not train at regular times, because you never know when you need to move your body. Its hard to do but worth it. One day training at midnight or 3 am, next at noon day after that at 5. he works out everyday, but every 4th day does a more relaxed w/o. Like biking, 3 mile walk, stretching

giant-killer

I do about four hours of KM twice a week, plus two hours on Saturdays (and about an hour of training on my own after class). Also some weight lifting. But I try to have at least one day rest in between.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: