Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    lawtxkrav

Hello folks,

Looking for a training knife to use in class.

Would prefer a folder but am open to other suggestions.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

giant-killer

You mean a real knife or just a plastic/metal-type training knife? A real knife may be a bit dangerous to train with, to substitute, you could look into getting a Shocknife. It sparkles and buzzes and gives varying degrees of electric shocks when it touches your skin. So, a bit more realism without the danger of more serious injury.

lawtxkrav

Definitely meant a rubber or dull bladed knife.

I have seen my instructor do some incredible knife defenses with a live blade but I am light years away from working with a real knife.

CJ Kirk is my instructor.

You can catch some of his knife and gun work at http://www.kravmagahouston.com/

Thanks for the tip on shock knife, will take a look.

giant-killer

Unfortunately, the Shocknife is pretty pricey, over 1000$ I believe. 😯 🙁 But maybe the school can buy one or so and it could be passed around in training. I really like it, if you turn it on and slice it across your leg, it really feels like a cut. Using it in class puts a lot more stress on the defender.

lawtxkrav

Ouch……

Way more than I was expecting.

Thanks for the info.

giant-killer

You could still check. Maybe they have lowered the price by now, or maybe someone has a used one he would sell for less.

http://www.shocknife.com/index.html

giant-killer

Looks like you are in luck (sort of), one knife with case and accessories is 499$, 2 899$ or so. Still pricey, but a bit more reasonable.

lawtxkrav

Saw that at the site.

Pretty impressive.

Know anybody that has used one of these things?

giant-killer

We’ve used them in class several times. Unfortunately, one has to pass them around, so each pair usually gets only a few stabs. We’ve also used them down in the garage once, when the attackers were hidden and one of them had the Shocknife, the others rubber knives. Seeing a guy jump out from behind a car and run at you with the Shocknife does feel a lot worse than if it’s just a safe little rubber knife. All of a sudden you are aware that the blade better not touch you anywhere, or it’ll really hurt. It also looks pretty manacing, with the electric sparkles and loud buzzing sounds.

I really like training with it, it does add realism. It also has different settings, so you receive either a light shock, or a pretty strong one, depending on your preference for training. I’d recommend it, 499$ with case and all sounds all right. If several people chip in, then you could share and pass it around in class.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re:

quote \”LawTXKRAV\:

Saw that at the site.

Pretty impressive.

Know anybody that has used one of these things?

yup, all the time in fact. Its a great tool especially for sparring.

Having said that I really think just a regular rev gear hard rubber or even aluminum trainer knife works really well for what you’ll be using it for.

I trained knife for a couple hours today and we just used the hard rubber ones I keep in my bag. If you buy some make sure its the hard rubber not the floppy ones.

On a side note Iíve talked to CJ a few times, good guy!

giant-killer

Well, good to know you are thinking so highly of your son. 🙂

\”All the time\” with the Shocknife? Really? Where? When? Don’t tell me SO stole our equipment? 😯 And what about \”hours\” of knife training? Privately or in some type of class setting? Damn, why does all of the good stuff happen without me? 😥

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I have all my own gear… years of teaching privates will do that LOL

If I can sneak away a do an extended lunch away from the office I try and get on the mat. Today just happened to be knife training, sometimes its H2H, sometimes its gun. Just depends on what people are in the mood for. I should be doing ground more but I keep slacking on it.

Iíve actually bumped into Don & Mickey during the day a few times.

Too bad your busy during the day.

giant-killer

So, you were teaching it in class, or just your own training with friends? Daytime may be nice, not too many other people. Got to make it over there one day.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Ooh no, Iím not teaching, Iím relatively new to KM remember. Although Iíve done phase and assist a lot Iím not qualified to teach advanced KM techniques.

More like Iím a willing training dummy. 🙂

resqr1

Re: Training Knives

quote \”LawTXKRAV\:

Hello folks,

Looking for a training knife to use in class.

Would prefer a folder but am open to other suggestions.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

I got some training folders (knives) from Ebay. Two were under $20. They resemble a Smith & Wesson. I’ve used them a bunch…they’re great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: