Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Come to think of it you might hit up member \”combative edge\” he’s our resident knife-smithe

hbkravmaga

Shocknife Training

Hey there i check the forum out daily and this one caught my eye! We have several of the shocknives at our location! They are phenominal training weapons. The students gain a whole new respect for the realism of a knife fight. The knife affects your pschological state alot more than just a rubber knife can ever do! As for a good solid rubber training knives check out Coldsteels bi annual clearance sales. They usually have several hundred of them on hand for a very fair price $8 each!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

HB represent~

Thanks for chiming in buddy.. I love it down in your neck of the woods.. or in your case beach. That piers one of the scariest places Iíve ever surfed. (it was during el nino LOL)

I like the shock knives I didnít mean it to sound like I didnít. I just think new students should get comfortable training with hard rubber / dull steel first before they step up.

For realism you canít beat them, it brings sparring to a whole new level.

Ok… Since I was called 😆

Here are my thoughts on the Shock knife

I think it is a great idea for giving you more respect and fear when training…….However, it can also lead to very bad habits…..

Example… Getting shocked does not feel like getting cut. With the shock knife getting hit in a non lethal area of the body may hurt and train your mind to stop fighting where in reality that wound would just be a few stitches. You hear all the time of people getting stabbed numerous times and survivng. With the shock knife, even touching it gives you a shock, where again in reality you know at some point there will be contact but not enough to take you out.

So… I feel that it has it’s benefits, but could POSSIBLY lead to some bad
    habits if not used properly.

lawtxkrav

Many thanks for the insight.

I have been training for about a month with a rubber knife and thought it might be time to add a little more reality to the training.

After reading these posts, I am starting to reconsider.

The more I think about it, sounds like moving to a plastic knife and then a metal may be the way to go.

I looked at some plastic knives online and they looked like a pretty good compromise.

Thoughts?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

The hard rubber knives I use feel like a hockey puck they are thick and stiff not very pliable yet do not hurt ñ as much ñ when contacted with a wrist bone or the back of your hand the same as a aluminum one does. Hence the reason I prefer training with them over a Shark blade. You still know you have been hit you just donít spend the next few days not being able to type at work because your hands bruised up.

When you start knife on knife sparring.. I donít mean normal KM attack defend scenarios I mean full blown actual sparring, youíll understand what I mean when I say a Aluminum Shark knife or worse the Shock knife isnít something you want hitting you and the back of the hand full force.

lawtxkrav

Rubber v. metal or other….exactly the thought I had in mind.

I started to think about how many times I miss or fail to perfectly execute the block or whatever and that is why I think I will stick to rubber for a while.

My wrists, forearms and hands are already bruised and battered, adding a metal object to the mix just didn’t seem to be in my best interests.

Once again, thanks for the input.

giant-killer

We have a metal knife at the NTC. I like it, it looks more realistic than the plastic one. I don’t find it that much more dangerous than the plastic knife, although one time I was hit in the head with it and had some blood pouring out. 🙁 My mistake, though, I guess I didn’t block correctly… 8)

lawtxkrav

Now that you mention it…the thought of the metal blade hitting me in the head is what cinched the deal for me.

Most of the knife training I have done so far involves an attack from the front with a big looping strike….using an outside defense for the block.

Usually, my worry has been the side filet that I may get if I fail to block at the wrist.

Having a metal blade landing long on the head or chest is something I would like to avoid.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Case in point, my right wrist from doing knife on knife drills has a huge raised bruise right now from yesterdays training. And thatís with hard rubber. Imagine metal or hard plastic… no fun

giant-killer

As long as you go slow or medium speed (in the beginning), just working on getting the motions right, it’s not that big of a danger I think. Even going faster. I’ve worked with the metal knife many times, with all kinds of opponents and it only happened that one time, when we were going very fast (line of attackers running at you, then stabbing, one attack after the other, virtually no break in between attacks). I suppose my weight wasn’t forward enough (in the defense) and I might not have been wrist to wrist. Also, the attacker was a lot bigger, making the defense harder as he was coming in with all of his weight and velocity.

I don’t remember exactly, because it happened pretty fast. I just felt a weird \”clang\” on my head and we stopped for a moment, but then I continued with a few more defenses. It didn’t even hurt that much, but blood was coming down the side of my head, so we had to stop and a very nice (and handy!) firefighter who was a student in class used some of our first aid stuff to stop the bleeding.

Also, you are supposed to kind of tuck your head, to avoid having the blade hit it. If you are doing it right, it should be okay. In ten years, I’ve had no other problems, so maybe just a freak accident. Overall, I still like the metal blade, because it looks more like an actual knife.

giant-killer

Of course, knife on knife drills are different, because you are actually getting hit with the blade. So, in that case, I would go with rubber, or put on forearm guards. For knife sparring, rubber is safer, too, although doing it with the Shocknife sounds kind of cool in a sadistic sort of way… 8)

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

forearm guards… pfft

I’m down for it GK, you and me couple of 2 minute rounds with the shock knives? Max points wins 🙂

giant-killer

I’d do it, but that kind of sucks, ’cause not only are you more than twice as big as me, but also an experienced knife fighter. 🙁 Maybe if we tie one of your hands behind your back or something. Or tape up your legs? Still, sitting at home at my trusty computer it somehow sounds like a fun idea. Not sure if I’d be thinking the same once I get to the gym and see the buzzing blade, though… Or, I’d probably be thinking the same, but once it’s on… 🙁 Well, one could try out the lowest setting first I suppose and bring some goggles… 😀 Then we’d do it outside the building to frighten off prospective new students. 8)

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

you got guts kid I’ll give you that 🙂 love that about you GK

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: