Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Unprovoked Knife attack in the UK

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    clfmak

This is definitely a tragedy, but I don’t like how they take it as an opportunity to rally for banning knives. The deadly attack could have taken place with other weapons- remember the baseball bat beatings a while back? You can’t disarm criminals of simple weapons. You CAN disarm law abiding citizens. If you ban switchblades, violence continues with steak knives. If you ban all knives, crime will ensue with bats, crowbars, a set of golf clubs from a garage sale, etc. Compound that with the fact that knives are useful tools and life saving devices.

Another thing that bothered me- that video was following the action- someone was recording it, not a security camera.

philst

Re:

quote \”JamesH\:

PhilST,
    we are not far behind you my friend! Here is a snippet of our lateset endevour to make sure no one is held responsible for thier actions in the US…

NANCY GRACE, HOST: Tonight, to Nebraska. Judge Kristine Cecava, you are in contempt! A 50-year-old child molester accused of raping a 12-year- old little girl gets no jail time. Repeat — check your ears — no jail time! Why? The judge says he`s too short, 5-foot-1, and she`s afraid he would be picked on behind bars. Lincoln, Nebraska, wake up, everybody!

He was convicted of 2 sexual assault charges. Excuse me but who the F*!*K cares what happens to him behind bars? Hmmm, on probation, any chance that he’ll re-offend? IDIOTS!!!!

Where the hell did i leave my scope….

Crap case, but at least you dont suffer from EU human rights law. Imagine trying to work US anti-terror law around it?? Take us trying to deport Hamza, he was a known terrorist but we effectively harboured him for years due to the court cases surrounding deporting him.

CLFMak – the knife amnesty going on here is a publicity gimmick designed to show the government is doing something. 50 stabbings last weekend alone suggest maybe its not working? 🙄

philst

Re:

quote \”CLFMak\:

Another thing that bothered me- that video was following the action- someone was recording it, not a security camera.

Should also have pointed out, on the nights here (dont know about the States) we have dedicated CCTV operators who monitor incidents and zoom in on the trouble, whilst simultaniously guiding in Police units. I’m at work now, so cant re-watch the video to make sure i’m right, but I think that explains your observation. The general culture here is to drink with the purpose of getting drunk, the obvious consequences are extra alcohol fuelled violence, which is why this system has gone online in recent years.

kravmdjeff

I strongly second a suggestion to read the book \”The Gift of Fear\” It was singly the best book I’ve ever read as a SD/SP instructor that addressed the warning signs of a violent attack/confrontation that had both academic and real-world credibility.

clfmak

I don’t want to hijack this thread but there’s some notes to be made as far as defending goes- the 360 defense makes more sense in the real world than a lot of the MMA style of blocking that has become popular. In this video, its really hard to discern if there is a knife or not. The boxing cover, or the crazy monkey block/supported elbow frame work very well against punches, but will not work against a knife nearly as well. I’ve been drifting towards the later two- seeing things like this reminds me that a block is better if it works against a weapon or hand attack. I’m probably preaching to the choir.
    Anyway, I was talking to an interesting character downtown today after watching a band. He talked about how he had a prior for carrying a concealled .22 in his waistband and a 9mm under his pantleg. He said he also stole some cars but never got caught. Anyway, he was wearing a big ring I asked about. This $8 ring was covered with pretty sharp spikes. I tried to find a pic online, but I didn’t. Similar to this stuff, though:
    http://www.axelsarmoury.com/spikedjewelry.htm (there’s some other gnarly stuff on this site, too)
    I asked him if these kind of rings are common. He said they’re common if there might be trouble. Again, these are things you probably wouldn’t notice if you were being punched, but would mess you up if you tried to stonewall it or tried some of the more compact blocks.

psyops

WTF?

Too short to go to jail, but not too short to rape a child? I swear to you all that we are facing some serious negligence and it is country wide! In Time magazine there was an article about life in New Orleans prior to Katrina and post Katrina.

Of all arrests made in 2003 through 2004. 93% of those arrested never saw the inside of a jail. That’s right folks they had a 7% conviction rate! Are you kidding me? According to the federal investigators they have identified at least 4 judges who were either corrupt or suffering from a serious case of social irresponsibility!

This is an attrocity!

esco

that’s exactly how the law and criminal justice system in general are out here in hawaii too. courts are so liberal out here it’s like a criminal’s haven. it’s not uncommon to hear that someone that was involved in something had an extensive record of prion offenses. mostly it’s because of the lack of prison space which i can see for minor offenses but even violent criminals walk the streets as if nothing. we had an older guy arrested recently for sexual assault of a minor in a park and it turns out the guy has 51 other prior offenses of all kinds. and theft, crime, drugs, and burglary run rampant here. most of them are put on probation which causes Pos to be overburdened and most of them fall through the cracks, one of my criminal justice teachers was a PO he said the case load was >170 per PO.

one of the reasons i want to take krav is that back like 4 years ago when i started courting my wife, her ice head ex decided he wasn’t willing to give her up. He showed up here once drunk and high wielding a knife. i’ve done kickboxing so i was able to fend him off as well i could but still got some nasty cuts on my arms and chest. anyway, dude has a long history of violent offenses, including beating my wife and their kids. he was on probation, and was violating a restraining order at the time. he had been arrested 2 weeks prior for violating the restraining order. anyway i pressed charges testified in court, jumped through all their hoops, and dude was sentenced to probation. i should have just dealt with it on my own without the cops or courts.

paradise indeed.

anonymous

Wow, those rings look pretty nasty. 🙁 Imagine getting punched with one of those. If it’s a hook to your face, it could easily cut all the way across your face. Or a straight punch to the eye. 🙁 And it’s more tricky than an actual knife, because you are less likely to notice it. Shows that it’s a good thing that we treat a punch and a knife attack the same way in KM. If you do a 360 type block, you wouldn’t have to worry about his spiky ring.

Are those rings legal to wear?

kravjeff

😯

What in the wide wide world of sports ? ? ? Street Armor, Full Hand Talon, Boot Blades and rings with two inch blades? Are you fu@#ing kidding me?

😯

clfmak

\”What in the wide wide world of sports ? ? ? Street Armor, Full Hand Talon, Boot Blades and rings with two inch blades? Are you fu@#ing kidding me? \”

Hey, it is what it is- a lot of people wear these kind of things.

g-v

Re:

quote \”CLFMak\:

This is definitely a tragedy, but I don’t like how they take it as an opportunity to rally for banning knives.

Society’s typical knee-jerk reaction.

anonymous

Would probably be hard to ban all knives, since most of them serve many purposes other than just killing a guy in cold blood.

clfmak

There’s a movement in Eurpope to ban all long pointy kitchen knives. A pannel of top chefs say that a long pointed knife is not necessary for most food preparation- you use a short pointed knife or a long hacking knife where the point is irrelevant. I’m the son of a guy that used to catch yellowtail so I can see problems with this. I’ve also always carried a knife since I was like 13. Its like where the robots ban everything to protect people from themselves. I can’t let you do that, Hal.
    I’m a pretty liberal guy, but studying weapon laws relating to knives and martial art weapons gave me an appreciation for the pro gun community.

kravjeff

Re:

quote \”CLFMak\:

\”What in the wide wide world of sports ? ? ? Street Armor, Full Hand Talon, Boot Blades and rings with two inch blades? Are you fu@#ing kidding me? \”

Hey, it is what it is- a lot of people wear these kind of things.

A lot of people? Thankfully, I’ve never seen anyone wearing anything more than big \”biker\” rings …

A fashion statement? Fine. Weaponry? That I have a problem with …

anonymous

I’m surprised these things are legal to sell. If we are going to ban stuff, maybe that’s what we should start with.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: