Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Weapons, Concealed and Otherwise

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    voodoo

Re: Weapons, Concealed and Otherwise

OK, first up, I never intended, and do not intend, to insult anyone here.

I was, and am, genuinely shocked at the number of people – Krav-trained people – who feel the need to arm themselves, inside thewir homes and out. That’s NOT a reflection on them (you) but it is an indication on how safe they (you) feel. Despite several visits to the US (never once felt threatened or in danger), and despite having stacks of friends in the US, I never knew that this was prevalent.

I have never been a victim of a home invasion, a car jacking or a hold-up – all three are rare here. Despite seeing fights at the pub, I’ve never seen a knife or gun produced. I wouldn’t even know how to go about getting a gun. Knife and gun assault are still rare in Australia (although a knife culture is growing).

@DixonMJ
    : “Your comment didn’t add any value to the discussion. All you did was insult people who never insulted you.”. I’m buying that, and I’m apologising for it – a clumsily worded post. Again, never my intention.

-Voodoo

dixonmj

Voodoo,

Thank you for your apology. Now, that is water under the bridge. You touched on a very sensitive subject here in the U.S. There has always been a very bitter debate here in the U.S. on gun laws, especially handguns…Currently there is a case heading to our Supreme Court that may have a large impact on gun laws across the U.S. Without boring you with our internal political and constitutional disputes, I’ll say that there are a lot of very passionate people on both sides of the argument. While there are a considerable amount of people that own guns in the U.S. (mostly hunting guns), the majority of households are without guns.

As in your country, most Americans will go through their lives without having been attacked, mugged, etc…But, there is an alarming number of incidents across the U.S. We’ve seen that violence can happen at anytime for any number of reasons or no reason at all. It’s not just the bars and bad neighborhoods anymore. So, people do what they think will make them safer.

kirsten

Wow. Great points all around everyone. Passing out some reps to all for debating it, then reigning it back in before it got personal. thanks to all.

hm2pac

I’m completely taken aback.

VooDoo, even though he did not mean to step on toes, apologized for doing so……in public and private.

This is a very refreshing spin on a message board. Usually this sort of miscommunication turns into a flame war with crap flying all over the place.

Kudos to VooDoo.

resqr1

quote EMS_Warlord:

I am not a LEO at all (though I would like to be one one day) but I read this advice in a gun magazine. I would add some handcuffs to your daily off duty loadout. If you ever have to use your weapon and have to go to court, some hot shot prosecutor could bring up the issue that you never gave arresting the perp a chance and carried only your weapon. It’s a shame people have to go through so much just to defend themselves nowadays.

Just my .02, and a little tip I read back in the day.

I have a very easy counter to Mr. hot shot attorney. My almost 25 years of combatives training and experience make it pretty easy for me to subdue those not requiring deadly force until the police arrive. If I can not for some reason, I’ll let him go and give a great description. I could give the same argument for my baton, pepper spray and taser. I am off duty, I will not carry everything required of me while on duty. I carry what I do in the case DEADLY force is REQUIRED. If it is not I have more than capable other means. I will say that I have carried handcuffs on occassion. Mostly felt unnecessary. Every scenario can be what-if’ed to death. I simply answered the question. Most lawyers have problems with firearms anyway. They are pretty easily shut down if you have the right training and mindset.

resqr1

quote EMS_Warlord:

I am not a LEO at all (though I would like to be one one day) but I read this advice in a gun magazine. I would add some handcuffs to your daily off duty loadout. If you ever have to use your weapon and have to go to court, some hot shot prosecutor could bring up the issue that you never gave arresting the perp a chance and carried only your weapon. It’s a shame people have to go through so much just to defend themselves nowadays.

Just my .02, and a little tip I read back in the day.

I have a very easy counter to Mr. hot shot attorney. My almost 25 years of combatives training and experience make it pretty easy for me to subdue those not requiring deadly force until the police arrive. If I can not for some reason, I’ll let him go and give a great description. I could give the same argument for my baton, pepper spray and taser. I am off duty, I will not carry everything required of me while on duty. I carry what I do in the case DEADLY force is REQUIRED. If it is not I have more than capable other means. I will say that I have carried handcuffs on occassion. Mostly felt unnecessary. Every scenario can be what-if’ed to death. I simply answered the question. Most lawyers have problems with firearms anyway. They are pretty easily shut down if you have the right training and mindset.

ems-warlord

quote resqr1:

That works. Hopefully, the theory will never need to be tested. thumbsup

resqr1

Don’t know why that posted twice.

zvor

If there are any statisticians out there that can crunch some numbers in regards to homicide rates across countries that have the right to bear arms and those that do not… I’m sure the figures would highlight some really negative facts that gun lobbyists don’t want to be coomon domain…

There was an incident yesterday in which a toddler picked up a gun and shot herself because she thought it was a wii remote… Very sad

would also like to hear from the other side in which carrying these firearms actually saved their lives… To give it a balanced spin on things

I also mean no offence by my post and apologies if I have offended anyone inadvertantly!

paul

There was an incident yesterday in which a toddler picked up a gun and shot herself because she thought it was a wii remote… Very sad

i lived in memphis for several years and that unfort. was a common occurence, that and leaving children is busses all day long to cook to death. you cant legislate away stupidity and irresponsiblilty. although some seem to try.

I usually tote a pistol. And always have have a pocket knife on me, but not for protection, Im just from Ga.

kirsten

quote zvor:

If there are any statisticians out there that can crunch some numbers in regards to homicide rates across countries that have the right to bear arms and those that do not… I’m sure the figures would highlight some really negative facts that gun lobbyists don’t want to be coomon domain…

would also like to hear from the other side in which carrying these firearms actually saved their lives… To give it a balanced spin on things

I also mean no offence by my post and apologies if I have offended anyone inadvertantly!

And you don’t hear about the high level of machete attacks, knife attacks and such in other countries as well where guns are not allowed. It is common practice, according my friend in Japan that knife attacks are on the rise in public places with the goal to kill to as many people as possible.

Perhaps knives should be removed and everyone given sporks instead. Its just going to be that way, where there is a will- there is a way to kill someone. They drive their cars into crowds, they poison people’s pain relievers, they shoot, the bludgeon, they stab and hack. Here IS an interesting fact: Violent gun crimes are highest in populated areas where gun ownership is low and gun crimes are lowest in rural areas where gun ownership is high.

I can tell you on more than one occasion my firearm saved my life and/or that of another, as well most LEO’s here can- that’s why we carry. AND I can also say that I never took a gun out of the hands of a criminal that was licensed to carry one. Guns don’t kill people, the person holding it does. And the VAST majority of gun owners advocate for gun locks, which you can get free at most local police agencies.

resqr1

I can’t remember the country, but an entire Christian village in Africa was wiped out by machette-wielding muslims recently. 500+ dead. Bet just 10 people armed with rifles and willing to use them would have completely changed that outcome.

thecrownsown

quote voodoo:

OK, first up, I never intended, and do not intend, to insult anyone here.

I was, and am, genuinely shocked at the number of people – Krav-trained people – who feel the need to arm themselves, inside thewir homes and out. That’s NOT a reflection on them (you) but it is an indication on how safe they (you) feel. Despite several visits to the US (never once felt threatened or in danger), and despite having stacks of friends in the US, I never knew that this was prevalent.

I have never been a victim of a home invasion, a car jacking or a hold-up – all three are rare here. Despite seeing fights at the pub, I’ve never seen a knife or gun produced. I wouldn’t even know how to go about getting a gun. Knife and gun assault are still rare in Australia (although a knife culture is growing).

@DixonMJ
    : “Your comment didn’t add any value to the discussion. All you did was insult people who never insulted you.”. I’m buying that, and I’m apologising for it – a clumsily worded post. Again, never my intention.

-Voodoo

I once got into a conversation with an American who moved north to Canada here as well. I was totally baffled at the “on guard” mentality he had. And equally, he was totally baffled at our (for the most part) lack of “personal protection” when it came to weapons, and his inability legally to carry a firearm….when it was second nature to him. I think it’s cultural, and hey..to each his own. I don’t think you will see Canadians arming themselves because of the cultural taboo, and in most of the states, I highly doubt seeing them disarming because of the same! 🙂

In Canada, concealed weapons, and restrictions on firearms make it pretty much a bet that most Canadians don’t carry a weapon in there every day routine. Living here all my life, even with the opportunity, I doubt I would.

paul

i was in a chat room, while on the road, anyway, got into it with a couple of people over this subject. i couldnt believe the anger at me for wanting to protect my family.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: