Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Weapons, Concealed and Otherwise

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    thecrownsown

Re: Weapons, Concealed and Otherwise

quote paul:

i was in a chat room, while on the road, anyway, got into it with a couple of people over this subject. i couldnt believe the anger at me for wanting to protect my family.

This is part of that cultural divide I think. (In general terms) Carrying a firearm directly related to “personal protection.”

From my perspective, arming everyone does not make it safer. Maybe a more “Canadian” perspective. There are statistics ad nauseum on both sides of the argument, and I wonder if it just comes down to personal preference/comfort level.

kvmorl

quote Kirsten:

And you don’t hear about the high level of machete attacks, knife attacks and such in other countries as well where guns are not allowed. It is common practice, according my friend in Japan that knife attacks are on the rise in public places with the goal to kill to as many people as possible.

Perhaps knives should be removed and everyone given sporks instead. Its just going to be that way, where there is a will- there is a way to kill someone. They drive their cars into crowds, they poison people’s pain relievers, they shoot, the bludgeon, they stab and hack. Here IS an interesting fact: Violent gun crimes are highest in populated areas where gun ownership is low and gun crimes are lowest in rural areas where gun ownership is high.

I can tell you on more than one occasion my firearm saved my life and/or that of another, as well most LEO’s here can- that’s why we carry. AND I can also say that I never took a gun out of the hands of a criminal that was licensed to carry one. Guns don’t kill people, the person holding it does. And the VAST majority of gun owners advocate for gun locks, which you can get free at most local police agencies.

This was clearly seen unfortunately last month in China, 2 back to back mass knife attack. One of them was in a kindergarten class, many kids stabbed and 2 adults 32 in total. Incredibly sad and enraging ..

stevem174

I carry a knife everyday however, I don’t have any knife training so it is not really for protection. Sort of like having a piano does make me a musician.
    However, I do carry a firearm everywhere it’s legal.

guitarded-1

quote stevem174:

I carry a knife everyday however, I don’t have any knife training so it is not really for protection. Sort of like having a piano does make me a musician.

While I know that knife fighting can be broken down in a technical sense, you don’t necessarily need a lot of training to be incredibly effective using a knife. That’s why it’s such a hard weapon to defend against. Even an unskilled person can make like a sewing machine and do unbelievable damage.

stevem174

quote guitarded_1:

Even an unskilled person can make like a sewing machine and do unbelievable damage.

I agree! With a background as a Correctional Officer and Paramedic I have seen the damage.

A good friend of mine who has never had any training was attacked by 5 men. He was able to defend himself with his knife.
    If it comes to it, I will use my knife or any other tool available to make sure that I stay alive.

guitarded-1

quote stevem174:

If it comes to it, I will use my knife or any other tool available to make sure that I stay alive.

You and me both thumbsup

stevem174

quote guitarded_1:

You and me both thumbsup

I have a feeling there are many like minded people here!!

xoek

you know the bad guys are packing, so why not level the playing field? i’ve had to deal with knife attacks three times in my life. it’s never like dude is going to come at you waving a knife. each time the guy came at me/ us waited until he got close then went for the ol’ stick and cut.

the last time it was a mexican gangster, dude pulled a knife and i punched him in the face. well, i was going to punch him anyway so it’s not like i reacted to the knife, i just got him before he got me. that bought me enough time for my co workers to beat the **** out of him.

ahh… fun times.

i carry a knife on me, but we’re taught that a knife isn’t a weapon it’s a tool. a tool i can use to stab you if you put my family’s health in a compromising situation, or a tool i can use to cut your seat belt off when it gets stuck after a car accident and save your life, either way, a tool.

clfmak

I usually carry a folding knife and have done a good deal of training involving training knives, gloves and fencing masks. However, it is mainly a tool that I find all kinds of uses for. Iíd rather not ever have to use it because thatís one of those things that can mess with your psychology. I also donít like the idea of escalating the conflict with a weapon unless I really have to.
    I also sometimes walk with a cane out on a stroll of downtown San Diego, but thatís because I walk miles at a time and it distributes weight more effectively on long trips (and I think it makes me look cool). When I was a graveyard shift security guard I had a big maglite, and if I ever came across a problem that required more than that, it was time to leave because I wasnít getting paid enough anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: