Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics What If? What would you do??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

In the hope of sparking some interesting conversation, post a proposed ìwhat Ifî scenario and lets see peoples different perspectives.

I think it would be great to hear potential threat response opinions from some of the forums senior members.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I’ll start

A little bit after CJ was born my wife posed this question to me and then like magic a few weeks later the situation happened to one of her new mom friends.

My wife says shes feels extremely vulnerable while carrying the baby. Most specifically while putting the baby into the car seat having her backside hanging out of the car with her purse slung over her arm wrestling with the car seat harness.

Someone in her mommie and me group after she asked me this question was actually mugged literally dragged out of the car by her purse, not intentionally but because it was hooked on her shoulder when the attacker grabbed the purse the mom came with it.

SoÖ whats our advice for moms with infants in and out of car seats, inquiring minds want to know

Remember this thread is meant to be on going and not just my one ìwhat ifî

vwr32

Re: I’ll start

quote \”CJs Dad\:

A little bit after CJ was born my wife posed this question to me and then like magic a few weeks later the situation happened to one of her new mom friends.

My wife says shes feels extremely vulnerable while carrying the baby. Most specifically while putting the baby into the car seat having her backside hanging out of the car with her purse slung over her arm wrestling with the car seat harness.

Someone in her mommie and me group after she asked me this question was actually mugged literally dragged out of the car by her purse, not intentionally but because it was hooked on her shoulder when the attacker grabbed the purse the mom came with it.

SoÖ whats our advice for moms with infants in and out of car seats, inquiring minds want to know

Remember this thread is meant to be on going and not just my one ìwhat ifî

Not sure if I’m playing right, don’t really have a \”what if\” scenario… just a response to the one posted.

I think the same tactics should be used for anyone where you need to turn your back to the public… (atm, bathroom stall, etc). Be aware of your surroundings and who is present. Won’t stop all ambush situations, but you might notice someone paying closer attention to what you’re doing than they should.

And a side note: it’s fathers day. Make the most of it.

lb

As a teen with a car, I’m sometimes a little parranoid I’ll be mugged. Would it be hard/realistic to simply lock yourself in the car with the baby while you strap him/her in and then simply unlock it to get out? You could easily takea look around before you exit

giant-killer

Good thread, Sean. I’ll be thinking about some scenarios. Another question would be what to do if you are actually HOLDING the baby in your arms while attacked. It would make it much harder to defend, as you couldn’t simply drop it or hit your attacker with it. 😯

If you are holding your baby and are choked from the side, it makes it very hard to do the regular defense for example. You should probably use kicks, rather than punches in some scenarios. But what about a gun threat? How would you redirect the weapon holding a baby? Of course you could comply with the person’s demands, but what if it’s a kidnapping attempt? The assailant may try to abduct the baby or both of you and you have to fight. Would you hand over the baby, then try to punch him? Fight holding the baby. Try to put it down, the fight? Now there is your scenario! 8)

Nice father’s day topic… 🙂

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Actually your playing right..

Respond to the scenario with a suggestion/comment if you have one or a new hypothetical what if question of your own.

For example LB asked about locking yourself in the car which gives one of us the opportunity to say:

Its usually wouldnít work because theres really no room most moms just stay outside of the car and lean in while depositing the kid into a child seat.

I agree that tactical awareness is huge advantage not to mention a little good common sense.

So my advice to my wife?

Before placing the child into the car unhook your purse and sling it into the front seat. Remove the temptation for the easy grab. The same with a babybag since many moms carry that instead of the purse. Just open the back door the same as usual and sling the bag inside.

The other thing she has that I think might help to answer LBís question. Get a magnetic hideAkey place a spare car/alarm key, $20 and quarter in it. If you are robbed give them your purse because it can all be replaced.

My 2nd suggestion LB is place your finger on your alarm button turn off your alarm look again for safe entrance swing into your car and quickly shut the door then while still holding your keys hit the button again to lock the doors THEN fumble with the keys into the ignition. I made my wife get into this habit even when Iím with her by reminding her to hit the alarm button so now if Iím slow walking back around to my side to get in she locks me out and laughs.

Its just a good habit to be in.

Next ìwhat if?î anyone?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Wow GKÖ pretty serious questions

And I honestly have no direct answer. I guess it would depend on the exact scenario and the variables dealt.

I can share one specific incident that happened last Halloween while trick or treating with a large group of friends.

I had CJ in my arms and we were first walking up a driveway when a man in costume jumped out from behind some bush’s and grabbed my jacket and started yelling and shaking me basically as a way to go boo and scare people.

Well he did.. I switched CJ from my right side to my left and did a right side back elbow to his face and he let go. While still holding the baby I grabbed (trapped) the side of his neck pushed his head down and kneeíd him in the face which dropped him. Swung around slammed CJ into Michelles arms and then went back and started stomping on the guy while my friend Aaron ran over and pulled me off him yelling it was a joke.

The guys wife came off the porch screaming at me and trying to help him up then Michelle handed the baby to Aarons wife and got into it with the guys wife while Aaron was shuffling me back down the street in case the police were called.

That stories a big hit at mommie and me LOL

giant-killer

Wow, you are leading an interesting life… 😆

I hope CJ didn’t get scared. As it was Halloween, I might have given the guy the benefit of the doubt at first and just told him to let go and not to scare the baby. Going back to stomp him, after already giving the elbow and knees may not look good legally. Were you in the guy’s driveway? Looks like you did a good job fighting with a baby in your arms, though, switching him back and fourth, then handing him off at the first opportunity. Is your wife a fighter, too?

Well, just a few more Halloweens and CJ will be fighting alongside you, beating up the bad guy’s kid! 8)

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

LOL I never said I was right in my actions admittedly it was a little much but that little switch in my head went off.

In fact in hindsight I was probably dead wrong and over reacted.

As far as my wife, I wouldnít mess with her, sheís armed.

vwr32

What if…

What if it’s halloween and you’re supposed to be scaring ppl as they trick or treat in your yard and some kungfu maniac with a baby starts beating the crap out of you?

I’ll bet your pic is posted at every haunted house in town lol. Yeah, a bit of an overreaction. You can always claim you thought he was a zombie and therefore already dead.

kravjeff

Re:

quote \”CJs Dad\:

LOL I never said I was right in my actions admittedly it was a little much but that little switch in my head went off.

In fact in hindsight I was probably dead wrong and over reacted.

Ya think??? 😆

We all have \”the switch\” – It’s tough to switch it back… Any ramifications?

P.S. I F#&#ING HATE ZOMBIES !!! 😉

kravjeff

Not really a what if, but maybe appropriate for the thread … I posted it on another SD forum that I frequent, and have been wanting opinions here as well.

What (if) would you have done fidderently? (cut and pasted from other thread)

I was \”interviewed\” today …

——————————————————————————–

… I’m absolutely convinced of it.

There I was – Moving out of my former office of my former employer (long story – ‘nuther thread maybe), which is an \”inner city\” hospital.

While pushing a cart holding several boxes across the parking lot, my cell phone rang. I answered it and kept moving. As I reached my vehicle and unlocked it (still on phone) I noticed a guy walking towards me from about 20-25 feet away; he was staring at me, moving quickly, fists clenched. My \”Spidey sense\” was tingling off the charts … I hung up on the person who’d called me, faced the guy, dropped the phone in my pocket and kept my hand there (on my folder) … Incidentally, my gun was locked in the car.

The guy stopped a couple of feet away from me and asked if I had a light (big surprise!). I told him I didn’t. He started to say something else and I squared my body towards him and said \”no, not even in the car – Sorry\” keeping eye contact the entire time and keeping the cart between us. All of this lasted maybe 20 – 30 seconds.

He simply dropped his stare and walked away.

Guess I just wanted to get this off my chest – The interesting thing to me, is my only conscious thought was literally \”I’m being interviewed\” … I didn’t think about how to position myself for an advantage should the SHTF, how to defend, what he might do … Just \”I’m being interviewed\” …

I don’t know if that response is good or bad!?!?!? All this training in self defense – Did I freeze mentally, or did the adrenaline flow and was I prepared for anything ??? I do believe that I was a target, and was very conscious of that at the time. I also believe that had I looked away / turned away or responded differently (sheepishly) the outcome would have very likely been different.

Obviously all rhetorical questions – But it’s bugging me!

STAY ALERT – STAY SAFE!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Well the honest truth is he DID scare me all I knew was some stranger was yelling at me and shaking me violently while I was holding my newborn. In my mind I was defending myself from a man who put his hands on me.

Its not Iím a loose cannon Iíve been to many haunted house type places and really enjoy it but then I walk in their knowing people are going to be jumping out and those guys know better then to grab people.

New scenario anyone?

kravjeff

Was mostly kidding … I think that the physical grab shaking was a bit much, especially since you were holidng your kid. The guy deserved at least the elbow, probably the knee … Strong work, right up until the time you almost killed him 😉

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

What should have happened is something you can over analyze to death if you let yourself.

Did you turn your back to him, no.

Your ìspider senseî went off, you consciously put your hand on your folder. Doesnít sound like you froze but also that you didnít feel an immanent enough threat. You were subconsciously feeling the situation out until he crossed a line.

Auto pilot is a funny thing

Ultimately Jeff you walked away safe and isnít that whats really important.

I also forgot to mention the ass kicking I got from the wife when I got home about not acting like I was on the yard now that I have a baby I canít go off on people. Especially in front of him.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: