Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    gwalsh-d92

Re: Why Krav?

I was putting together a motorsports team to campaign a factory-backed racecar in 12 hour endurance races. I joined the local gym to get in shape to be able to last 2+ hours behind the wheel (and to avoid looking looking the Michelin Man in my white drivers suit).
    While on the treadmill, I saw people wrapping their hands and going into the aerobics room. An hour later they came out looking like a bunch of whupped dogs with big smiles on their faces.

That was five years ago.

eric-joyce

To pick up chicks…just kidding.

I have been involved in traditional martial arts for many years (still dable in them) and I always felt a sense that something was missing. I did some research on the net and was fascinated by Krav Maga and Close Quarter Combatives. I believe Krav Maga fit my personality and my needs more than the other arts. I really wanted something that was practical and effective. However, my wife started taking Krav Maga before me and she told me about her experiences and she sold me on it even more. I joined soon after and I love it. One thing I have noticed (and maybe others have had this experience), but it’s very hard to go back to a traditional martial art after experiencing Krav Maga. Maybe it’s the realism, the training methodology, the agression, whatever, but I cannot get that same feeling in other arts. My story (at least my intent) is not to diminish my traditional martial arts training but to share my rationale on why I chose Krav Maga.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I’m Jeannine Jackson’s hair dresser.

jburtonpdx

quote CJs Dad:

Iím Jeannine Jacksonís hair dresser.

How can we even respond to this now…

russell

[QUOTE=CJs Dad;31457]Iím Jeannine Jacksonís hair dresser.

WOW a hairdresser AND high end car tunner

quote Jay99:

Truth be told I had been looking for way to meet you, Miriam. After several miserably failed attempts, including one incident where I hid in a giant birthday cake I turned to Krav. But rather than share all the ugly details I will use the version I came up with for when such a question was asked of me….

After finishing school I made a promise to myself to take some of my new found free time and do something that was fun and all for me! I decided a martial art or MMA training would be a fun way to spend my time so I poked around a little as I neared graduation. When I expressed my intention to a good friend one afternoon he mentioned that they opened a Krav Maga place in my area. I had never heard of Krav and did not know anything about the training but the way he made it sound intrigued me. Over the next week he told me a bit more so on a whim one night I dropped in and ended up meeting Jarrett Waldman. I was impressed by how friendly everyone was, how little ego I felt in the room and by the explanation of the training. We spoke for about 20 minutes about the classes, the benefits and of course the financial obligation. Since I often live by the creed of “Go big or go home” I signed a year contract at that end of our conversation and went on my way.

I figured I would use the classes as a compliment to a gym schedule I was trying to stick to and my plan was to go two, maybe three times a week. Just for fun, ya know? After my first class I was sore for two days and just had to have more!!! Two times a week turned into three. Which turned into every Level 1 class I could make. Then fitness classes started. Then came the 2 hour nights once or twice a week. Then 2 hours were the norm. Before I knew it I was making time for 3 hour nights and thrilled to see Friday evening on the schedule two add in another night of training. I just could not get enough!!!

Then it happened… It was day 1 of Phase A… and guess who I was in a room with after all this time… MIRIAM!!!

So there it is… that is my story. Where it goes from here. Who knows… but at least I got to meet Miriam = )

MIRAM i hope you got that gun(it sounds like you’ve got a stalker!)LOL

now for my story
    my daughter takes tae kwon do at this place(morris dynamics) and they teach krav also, they had a free intro lesson on a saturday, the day after the human weapon show, on monday i started taking classes since then i have missed 4 classes(2 due to the wonderful winter weather we have in the midwest, 1 after i hyper-extended my elbow, and 1 because of my daughter’s school music program)

as for my daughter she just wants to learn more martial arts she takes tkd,1 st degree bb testing for second,and krav, and used to take judo(yellowbelt)

i guess a better question would be why NOT?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

What can I say I’m passionate about dreads.

jay99

[QUOTE=russell;31460]MIRAM i hope you got that gun(it sounds like you’ve got a stalker!)LOL QUOTE]

A stalker I am not….not by a long shot.. not even a little bit.

Sarcastic and take a little pleasure in giving Miriam a little bit of a hard time… Yeah, ok… that I am guilty of.

jay99

[QUOTE] MIRAM i hope you got that gun(it sounds like you’ve got a stalker!)LOL [QUOTE]

Sarcastic and take a little pleasure in giving Miriam a little bit of a hard time… Yeah, ok… that I am guilty of.

evo8

My first exposure to Krav was in college. I ran a martial arts club and a Krav instructor (can’t remember his name) was giving a seminar in the area (Santa Barbara). Through a connection of one of my club members, the Krav instructor stopped by our club and gave us some instruction. It was an eye opening experience as he demonstrated the defense against a choke from the front and proceeded to floor me. it was okay though because we trained in a gymnastics room and the floor was real bouncy. after that, i knew i had to train in krav. When i returned to LA after school, i just so happened to move to the westside for work and found the NTC.

quote EVO8:

My first exposure to Krav was in college. I ran a martial arts club and a Krav instructor (can’t remember his name) was giving a seminar in the area (Santa Barbara). Through a connection of one of my club members, the Krav instructor stopped by our club and gave us some instruction. It was an eye opening experience as he demonstrated the defense against a choke from the front and proceeded to floor me. it was okay though because we trained in a gymnastics room and the floor was real bouncy. after that, i knew i had to train in krav. When i returned to LA after school, i just so happened to move to the westside for work and found the NTC.

That was probably Dave Bluestein, and don’t worry about it, he’s put lot’s of us on our butts……

alamocitykid

I started about 4 years ago in an intro course after several abortive excursions into more traditional arts. My first class was taught by the “legendary” Leslie Martinez, and I was hooked on the spot! I love the practicality of KM, and the camaradie, et. al. at our center (something woefully missing from my life after retirement from the military). My wife has not been to the center, and one night I remarked that she really didn’t know where I was. She laughed and said “As sweaty and beat-up as you come home, if you have a hottie somewhere, you’re sure getting your money’s worth!! Now, one of my near-term goals is to get to the NTC and meet Miriam!!

sticman

I was originally attracted to the practically and self-defense vs ring sport side of things. It just makes sense to learn something that is immediately useful vs. takes months or even years to master and use effectively.

I was a little turned off by the price, but stayed because IMO the instruction at my location has to be some of the best. There are usually 3(sometimes 2 or 4) instructors working with us in every class. Our Chief Instructor (Jay Ackerman) makes it a point to get to all FOUR of his locations at least a couple nights a week (which can be as long as a 50 minute drive from location to location). All instructors try to switch locations so students can get a new instructor.

They are all great about pushing us, and not feeling dumb about asking questions about techniques. They will even go as far as to explain why it would make sense that we would think to do it a certain way, but then show us the correct way.

The system is awesome, but the instructors are just as great.

russell

[QUOTE=Jay99;31469][QUOTE] MIRAM i hope you got that gun(it sounds like you’ve got a stalker!)LOL

quote :

that’s what they all say(LOL)

quote Alamocitykid:

Now, one of my near-term goals is to get to the NTC and meet Miriam!!

miriam see above about the gun and stalkers!!!!(LOL)

now I on the other hand might need to get to the ntc and see this miriam that everyone talks about!!!!

miriam

[QUOTE=Jay99;31469][QUOTE]

quote :

Hard time? What hard time? I hadn’t noticed. Oh, by the way Jay (or Jamie as his stalker victims like to refer to him)… I hear you’re back at krav again and assisting? Oh, good… now I know where to have the TRO papers served! :OhMy:

quote Alamocitykid:

Now, one of my near-term goals is to get to the NTC and meet Miriam!!

Aww, thanks Bob! Hope you make it out to train at the NTC!

[QUOTE=russell;31479][QUOTE=Jay99;31469]

quote :

MIRAM i hope you got that gun(it sounds like you’ve got a stalker!)LOL

that’s what they all say(LOL)

miriam see above about the gun and stalkers!!!!(LOL)

now I on the other hand might need to get to the ntc and see this miriam that everyone talks about!!!!

I’m beginning to think one gun may not be enough. I might have to double up. I’m kidding! Thanks, Russell… but it’s all smoke and mirrors, baby…just smoke and mirrors!!! rofl2

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Miriam:

it’s all smoke and mirrors, baby…just smoke and mirrors!!!

And with that, a new quote is born

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: