Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    xlr8t

Since i’m very new to KM, I would like to get some advice on gyn work out during the off trainging days any help would be great

doesithurt

Re: work out

I guess it depends on what you want to achieve. I personally do a lot of cardio work on my off-days, mostly running and biking. In bad weather, I am going through Bas Rutten’s Mixed Martial Arts workout CDs. I find that building endurance helps me more doing Krav, than building strength.

Christian

la-revancha

Doesithurts addresses the first priority: you need to define your workout goals (strength? conditioning? lose weight? rehab a bad knee?). However, I support the Bas Rutten MMA workout for those looking to improve cardio endurance, muscle tone, and overall strength. I say buy the CDs, buy a Fairtex/Revgear banana bag, and start bludgeoning the bag.

In my experience, power yoga substantially improves flexibility and strength (I think it greatly enhances grappling ability). Try googling Brian Kest’s \”Power Yoga\” series. My roommate gave me his tapes and I use them religiously. His gym is in Santa Monica if you’re in the L.A. area.

I have nothing against lifting weights, but my current \”weight room free\” routine has demonstrated some delightfully surprising results. I few weeks ago, I went to lift with some personal trainers. I haven’t been in a weight room in nearly two years, but I was still able to Bench 235 and squat 225 without serious difficulty. Not bad for a 5’5\”, 165 lb. gnome.

I owe it all to KM, BJJ, Bas, and Yoga.

Good luck

siayn

I currently workout without weights, but I train like a strength trainer would. I have a pilates ball, and I do push-ups in 3 different inclines on the ball. I do pull-ups, chair tricept lifts, and some other stuff. I tried to figure out a body-building workout that I could do without weights because I travel so much for work. Lots of hotels don’t have weight rooms so I wanted to make sure I had a workout I could do anywhere.

But ultimately, I am training for strength, increased muscle size, and to loose fat. One of the best ways to loose fat is to increase muscle mass to improve passive calorie burning.

But as others have said on this thread, you have to define your goals first, then decide what you need. If you post what your goals are, I bet you would get some really good advice from people here.

luca61

Outside KM I don’t have a lot a time to dedicate to training, so I do a machine circuit training 2-3 times per week.Work well enough for a middle-age man like myself.

g-v

On top of KM roughly four times/week, I hit major muscle groups with 30# dumbells (2 sets per exercise, as many as I could do per set) on even days, jump rope and punch the bag on the odd days.

xlr8t

Thanks for all of the replies. I would like to get into shapes as best as I can so that I make the most of each class. Running won’t really work to well for me snice, I’m an amputee, but I think that with a little work the bike would be great. One of the main reasons that I’m taking KM is to improve my foot work and build trust in the prostetic.
    thanks

kravron

Anything with lots of cardio. Swimming might be a good thing for amputees who cant run, but otherwise I recommend running running running.

garddawg

XLR8T
    True fitness is a combination of cardiorespiratory endurance, stamina, strength, power, speed, flexibility, agility, accuracy, balance, and coordination. There is no single activity or sport or magic bullet that will train you for this broad type of physical fitness. Training for a fight by running twenty minutes a day makes perfect sense if you plan on running away from your opponent and know youíll be getting a ten minute headstart Ignoring weight training or calisthenics makes sense if you never plan to grapple or clinch. Working ìcardioî on one day and weight training on the other makes about as much sense as never training punching and kicking together. If you donít work the two things together they will not be there for you when it is needed. Segmented training leads to segmented capacity. Strive to blur the line between strength training and cardio, a Krav Maga class doesnít acknowledge that line, an attacker wonít acknowledge it, and nature doesnít acknowledge it.

g-v

Re:

I wouldn’t call punching and kicking the bag a segmented cardio workout, at least not the way I work it.

garddawg

G.V. I posted \”Working ìcardioî on one day and weight training on the other makes about as much sense as never training punching and kicking together.\” The key word being never. The point is most of the advice given in these threads will yield a resonable level of fitness, certainly better than sitting on the couch. But it falls far short of delivering elite fitness or combat readiness.

g-v

Re:

Okeydokey dawg, I guess I read too much into it. To add to my post…I believe that precise form, slow movement, and controlled breathing while lifting weights is only good for body sculpting, and does nothing (in fact, the inverse) to supplement krav maga or any other fighting art.

siayn

G.V. said – \”I believe that precise form, slow movement, and controlled breathing while lifting weights is only good for body sculpting, and does nothing (in fact, the inverse) to supplement krav maga or any other fighting art.\”

How can building muscle be bad for martial arts? No one here is looking to become a creatine hulking brute from a muscle magazine. That would definately interfere with martial arts. But putting on muscle is a good thing.

Its a very simple equation, would you rather fight a 130lb scrawny stick-man with 2 months of Krav training or a 210lb built guy with 2 months of Krav training? All things being equal, the muscle helps. Ill take weight training any day over running. It gets my cardio up, and builds muscle.

If your goals are to be able to be in a fight that lasts 20-30 minutes, go run 10 miles a day. If your goal is to have a fight last 20-30 seconds and K.O. someone, put on some muscle.

It’s not like you have to choose between one or the other. But I firmly disagree that weight training is bad for martial arts. It is good as long as you integrate it into your routine and don’t become some kind of beefcake muscle-bound freak.

kravron

You can be 210lbs and uber muscular and still get KTFO (knocked the F*** out) by a 130lbs scrawny guy. I am 217lbs, pretty built guy, but the only advantage I find is people are more intimidated by me due to size. Which means less people are will to step up to the plate.

Never count on small guys hitting less hard. Bad thing to let into your head. Krav is like the rock that david used to drop goliath. Never underestimate the little guy.

siayn

garddawg said – \”Strive to blur the line between strength training and cardio…\”

One way to do this is by weight training in \”super-sets\”. It’s a buzz word in the workout community so you can Google it for more information. Here is the basic idea:

Most of the time when you go to a weight training gym, you see a bunch of guys stand around flexing and pumping iron. They do their 8 reps at the bench press which takes around 30-45 seconds, then stand up and \”recover\” for 2-3 minutes while their workout buddy does his 8 reps. They talk about weight suppliments and the hot chick on the excerbike. It is estimated that an average 1.5 hour weight training workout only contains about 10-12 minutes of actual workout. – lame

Super-setting means that you never stop working out and limit your breaks. This is how I weight train at home (I dont like gyms). So for example, you do your bench press for 45 seconds, then immediately you roll off the bench and start doing lunges. When you are done with your lunges you immediately get back on the bench and do another set. Do this three times, take a 30 second break, then move onto your next \”set\”. Bicep curls paired with crunches – 3 sets of each consecutively with no break, then 30 second break, then tricept extensions with squats – etc…

I guarentee that doing this gets your cardio up just as high as it would if you ran for 30 minutes on a treadmill, and builds muscle at the same time.

This is just one example of how to blur the lines as garddawg suggested.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: