Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    joeyc

Well i have to write a speech for my English class and i have decided to write about the Zero Tolerance rule/law that California (not sure if its anywhere else) uses. I for one am against this rule because it takes a persons right to defend themselves away.

For those of you who arent familiar with this idea, this is how it works. If anyone gets in a fight they are automatically suspended.

please post your views on this subject and/or videos that relate to this subject. it will help me out a lot to get some expert opinions on the matter.

Re: Zero Tolerance

umm… I think you have the wrong law man. the zero tolerance law in California has to do with driving under the influence of alcohol.

What is the Zero Tolerance Law? This law states that it is against the law to drive with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .01% or higher if you are under 21 years of age. Your BAC is measured by a test given to you by a police officer. Under this law, on your first offense, your driving privilege will be suspended for one year if:

• your BAC is .01% or higher, or
    • you refuse to take the preliminary alcohol screening (PAS) test, or
    • you fail to complete the PAS test.

[http://www.dmv.ca.gov/teenweb/crazy_btn3/tolerance.htm%5D

…what is the law you are talking about? I would be more than willing to give you my opinion if you could direct me to the entire text of this “No Fight” law.

joeyc

haha wow i used the wrong word there. what i meant to say is it is a rule for all the California schools. if two people fight they are automatically suspended

garddawg

I wrote a little piece a few years ago on kids right to defend themselves it is on page 8 and 9 of the first CrossFit Kids Magazine.

http://www.crossfitkids.com/images/uploads/Assets/BXKIDSCFNEWSfina11.pdf

stevetuna

JoeyC –

Check out the thread titled “Bullying” in the student lounge section of this forum. Unstabl1 started this and included three great video clips. The discussion there will help you out as well.

I’m now off to read Garddawg’s postings about this.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

jburtonpdx

quote garddawg:

I wrote a little piece a few years ago on kids right to defend themselves it is on page 8 and 9 of the first CrossFit Kids Magazine.

That article is just plain awesome.

gwalsh-d92

quote joeyc:

For those of you who arent familiar with this idea, this is how it works. If anyone gets in a fight they are automatically suspended.

Many companies and schools have this type of policy.
    Here’s a related thread:

http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=1665

joeyc

quote garddawg:

if you dont mind i would like to quote you in my speech

kpalena

The zero tolerance policy is related to student safety. Even if there is a completely innocent party, they are still suspended. This is not always meant as a punishment. Lets say you get in a fight and you are totally defensive the whole time. The attacker is suspended and you get to come to school the next day…..his friends are not going to be ok with that decision and brother….you will get jumped. This asks the school to take sides, that leads to resentment and ALWAYS makes the origional problem worse. In a school like the one I work in, where gangs are visable, this happens all the time. Zero tolerance sucks, but it is necessary.

quote kpalena:

The zero tolerance policy is related to student safety. Even if there is a completely innocent party, they are still suspended. This is not always meant as a punishment. Lets say you get in a fight and you are totally defensive the whole time. The attacker is suspended and you get to come to school the next day…..his friends are not going to be ok with that decision and brother….you will get jumped. This asks the school to take sides, that leads to resentment and ALWAYS makes the origional problem worse. In a school like the one I work in, where gangs are visable, this happens all the time. Zero tolerance sucks, but it is necessary.

Maybe in Washington it works like that, but here in Los Angeles, the student record only reflects that they were suspended for fighting. Period. If my child is going to get suspended anyways, they might as well put the miserable little cretin that threatened them in the hurt locker……..Then we’ll spend the next day at Disneyland, celebrating a job well done and lessons learned.

garddawg

Hmmm…. You get attacked. You get punished. The authority figures don’t want to take sides.

So let’s see. Three gang members come into a classroom after school. They find a young school teacher alone. They attack her. She should not fight back. She should find someone else to intervene. If nobody is there and she defends herself we should suspend her for her own safety……..

By the way Jeremy, Disneyland has always been on the table with my boys as well.

parishd

The problem is that the zero tolerance policy treats every situation and every party the same, which they seldom are. A better policy would require the teachers/supervisors/administrators to make context-appropriate judgments and mete out consequences based on the actual circumstances of the altercation.

There really are two clear sides to the bully/victim dynamic and schools need to take sides and in fact they do. Pretending to not take sides and relying on the zero tolerance nonsense, is just siding with the bullies, plain and simple.

garddawg

So I pretty much stay out of threads unless they pertain to Strength and Conditioning, but this one strikes a chord for me and I have to chime in. The rule is there to protect the administrators, their paychecks, and there precious reputation, period. It’s not there to protect the kids.

If a child is attacked on campus, why do we accept a school administrator as the arbitrator? An attack is a legal issue. Next time your child or a child in your gym is attacked at school call the Sheriff. Would you not do this if your child were attacked at the local 7/11, at the ball park. Wherever ot happens. it is an assault, possibly battery. Once the school finds that parents report these to law enforcement the rule will change.

We found that our local middle school and high school received money from the state for their safety record. Following up a couple of attacks we found the school failed to report or even log actual physical attacks. This kept their record clean and they were able to post that they were the safest school in the county.

One of our little girls was even punished when she defended herself with “Crazy Monkey” while two boys hit her. She was punished because the boys hurt their hands on her elbows while she blocked their punches. Fortunately she was a daughter of a local deputy sheriff.

Mike, I read your post too late. Thank you for the kind words.

unstpabl1

quote garddawg:

One of our little girls was even punished when she defended herself with “Crazy Monkey” while two boys hit her. She was punished because the boys hurt their hands on her elbows while she blocked their punches. Fortunately she was a daughter of a local deputy sheriff.

rofl2 Gotta love Rodney. I gotta email that to a couple of freinds who are affiliates for him. He was here last month. Next year I’m going

A lot of the stories on this subject have been interesting on this subject on the various forums that I posted the Counterstrike vid on. I think the first thing adults who don’t get or forget is rule number 1. Which states “Don’t be a Tatletale.” It makes it worse. Administrators can’t follow you home at night. Bullies can.

Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. Its a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don’t get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsbility is a long fruitless wait

Jeremy. I’d train with you anyday. In fact I considered driving 30 miles one way to do so at one point. Garddawg…Formal Bow, sir

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: