Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    jburtonpdx

Re: Zero Tolerance

quote unstpabl1:

Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. Its a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don’t get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsbility is a long fruitless wait.

Im liking this thread.

Stealing this, hope you dont mind…

unstpabl1

quote jburtonpdx:

Im liking this thread.

Stealing this, hope you dont mind…

Flattered you even botheed to read itthumbsup

stevetuna

Mike –

Just to let you know that I used those videos in my km-X classes today, hauling parents and students alike into my smelly little office to view them. The impact was significant. Everyone got it.

The thing that I liked the best, however, was when one little girl asked, “So why didn’t she (the girl playing the victim) kick the guy in the bad spot?” Tears of joy in my eyes!!!

Thanks again for those.

unstpabl1

quote stevetuna:

Mike –

Just to let you know that I used those videos in my km-X classes today, hauling parents and students alike into my smelly little office to view them. The impact was significant. Everyone got it.

The thing that I liked the best, however, was when one little girl asked, “So why didn’t she (the girl playing the victim) kick the guy in the bad spot?” Tears of joy in my eyes!!!

Thanks again for those.

Thats cool. I think they would be great to show perspective parents. The two guys present the case in an intelligent and practical fashion.

I’m glad its helping. Your someone I really want to see succeedthumbsup

I posted it on a few forums and the response has been great. I’m still laughing at the story from Garddawgs forum about the girl who got suspended for using Crazy Monkey boxing against a couple attackers because they hurt their hands on her elbows. She never hit them back. I guess she was only suppose to be the victim

CM boxing is a peek a boo street style outta South Africa and the SBG guys

resqr1

My son’s school supposedly has a zero-tolerance policy (selective at best). I told him my policy: Start a fight and it’s gonna be him and me in the ring. Defend yourself and get suspended, I’ll fight it. If I lose we spend a day at the arcade. Get suspended for defending somebody else, we spend three days at Worlds of Fun. Warriors are not punished in my house. They are rewarded. He’s 10. So far, no problems:box2:

stevetuna

quote resqr1:

Warriors are not punished in my house.

There’s a quote to remember as well. Amen to that thought.

brickt9

I agree that kids have the right to defend themselves. My children have their rights, and I have my own right and responsibility to defend and protect them as well. It’s also my responsibility to educate them. I can send them to a public school, private school, hire private instructors, or home school them. I have the power to choose, to decide, even before restrictions are placed on my kids.

I’m not going to rely entirely on the public school system to keep them safe even when they’re sitting in class – although they should provide safe learning environments. And as others said, there are too many varying situations out there. When I was in school I saw kids using their house keys to stab heads, girls biting other girls’s faces, boys grabbing at girls’ bodies – and hitting them when they objected. I’ve known of worse things as well. If they’re going to have any kind of Zero Tolerance policy, they’d better apply that to their staff first.

kpalena

quote resqr1:

My son’s school supposedly has a zero-tolerance policy (selective at best). I told him my policy: Start a fight and it’s gonna be him and me in the ring. Defend yourself and get suspended, I’ll fight it. If I lose we spend a day at the arcade. Get suspended for defending somebody else, we spend three days at Worlds of Fun. Warriors are not punished in my house. They are rewarded. He’s 10. So far, no problems:box2:

Completely and totally your legal right, and an attitude that I applaud. Continue to teach your son to defend right.

Because of legal problems, many schools have the zero tolerance policy. Lawsuits are a powerfull policy device. No one says “don’t defend yourself”, but they are saying that you are not going to be here tomorrow when another larger problem happens.

Someone earlier asked about a young teacher and gang members. In that situtation the kids would be arrested for assult and the teacher would be placed on administrative leave. Not as a punishment, but for his/her safety.

More than once, I have told a student that I was proud of how they handled the situtation, when they did fight back. Personal safety is nothing to play around with…however, they need to understand the reasons that they are not allowed in the building the following day. The record may say “suspended for fighting”, but if it is only once, there is nothing to really worry about. If they are being bullied, and it happens a lot, make sure the administration knows and has a paper trail to follow when your child finally has enough and deals with the bully.

A zero tolerance policy should properly be called a “protect the schools a$$” policy.

momosd

I think the main reason school administrators and teachers don’t take sides or intervene appropriately is the fear of lawsuit. Unfortunately, the litigious society we live in, especially in California, has taken the “teeth” out of the education system with regards to discipline. You better believe my child would defend themselves if attacked.

psyops

Zero tolerance = adult cowardice!

blindfold

My kids know the rules. Zero Tolerance isn’t going to protect you.

Three chances. Tell the teacher, tell the teacher and the kid, KO the kid. They become a victim.

Always stick up for each other,period. We are the only ones we know we can depend on. My children know that I’m there for them if they are right.

joeyc

well guys i gave my speech and it went pretty well although an english teacher cant do a dam thing about it. thanks for your help guys.

kpalena

quote joeyc:

well guys i gave my speech and it went pretty well although an english teacher cant do a dam thing about it. thanks for your help guys.

An English teacher by him/herself can’t do anything….but every fire starts with a single spark…

joeyc

true true im just glad i could help some people realize how messed up this is

happyloaf

As an aside what videos did the previous poster have the kids and teachers watch?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: