Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics A bad situation. Need advice.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    kravmdjeff

Re:

quote \”jaeroo\:

Speaking of legal services, has anyone tried prepaid legal services? I heard you pay around $25 a month. Despite the cost, I heard it’s convenient and a quality attorney is available 24-hrs. for any incident (even identity theft) you get involved in, whether criminal, civil, or traffic. Costs money but can pay off in the long run. Considering getting started on that.

It’s a pyramid scheme…the only reason it’s legal is because it doesn’t have a strict structure…i.e.-you can work past someone who has been in the organization longer than you. Just like Amway, Quixstar, etc. The legal benefits are extremely limited, and do not cover most S.O.L. legal situyations.

kravmdjeff

To Twig: My suggestion would be to not get your friend involved in Krav immediately. Also, defer to whatever sort of therapist she talks with (which is pretty much a necessity, but your friend has to decide that she needs it.) Also, I would call the school or encourage a friend/family member of your friend in FL to call the training center and probe about what sort of confidentiality they can maintain with her situation, etc.

We just started working with the Domestic Violence center in our area, and there are a myriad of legal, ethical, pscyhological, and emotional issues that unfortunately not every Krav instructor may be aware of when dealing with students who have been victims of violent crime.

ryan

Just remember, at the end of the day, you’re a self defense instructor. You’re not a medical doctor, a lawyer, a psychologist, a parent, etc. (unless, of course, you are 😉 .)

You will have students that will ask for all sorts of advice and opinions, from health to business to legal and so forth. IMO, we should try to avoid these conversations as much as possible, by deferring to \”experts\”.

anonymous

Yes, CLFMak, let us know how the experiment went. 900,000 volts sounds pretty scary. I hope you won’t be fried…:(

Twig,

I just saw they’re having a suit seminar for women only on Dec 3rd. Maybe your wife could try that one, maybe she would be more comfortable if there are only women there. She might like it and then she could try another regular class later.

clfmak

I zapped myself with it today. It was surprizingly ineffective. I had to psych myself up to do it, and decided I’d do it to my left arm. It sort of hurt, but no more than a solid strike. Now, there’s a few issues with this-
    1. The arm is not an ideal place to use one of these. The recommended targets are the upper shoulder (trapezius area), under the ribcage and above the hip.
    2. I only did it for a very brief period (less than one second). According to the info that came with it, less than a second will cause minor muscle contractionsand have a repelling effect. However, touching it for one to two seconds will cause muscle spasms and a dazed mental state. Three to five seconds causes a loss of balance and muscle control, total mental confusion, and disorientation. I couldn’t, nor would I really want to, hold it to myself for that long- you naturally pull it away as soon as its touching you. Three to five seconds would actually be a pretty long time to hold it to a standing opponent.
    3. I did it through a shirt, but that’s not supposed to make much of a difference.

It seems like the area where it would really excell in is the clinch (underhooking the arms and holding it against the back), in other upright grappling (grabbing one leg and holding it to the glute or thigh), or any ground position (attacking the thighs when mounted or attacking the back from the guard). The ultimate would be attacking the back of the neck from a full nelson. Anyway, I wasn’t impressed, but I did get the impression that it would really suck to have it held against you any length of time. Not so good for multiple opponents.

kravmdjeff

It doesn’t transfer current through two bodies being in contact? (i.e.-grappling?_

anonymous

Also, it may be hard to grapple with it, since you couldn’t really hold on to your opponent with that thing in your hand. Unless maybe you surprise him with it, get in close, hold him with one hand then use the other to push the device against his chest or neck.

In an actual street fighting situation it may not be that useful, since I believe it would be hard to continuously press the thing against your opponent for up to five seconds. He’d probably jump back as soon as he feels it and the contact is lost. Then you’d have to chase him with it! 😉

But it might be useful to create some space, he jumps back when you touch him with it, gets distracted for a moment, giving you the opportunity to follow up with some stronger attacks, such as punches or kicks, then run.

I wonder how using this device could work with Krav defenses. For example, gun defense (if you happen to have the device in your hands, which is questionable, but let’s say you do). You redirect, then instead of punching to the chin you push that thing into his throat or so. Or knife, you block, then push it into his face. Would that be more effective than the actual punch? Or at least add power to the punch? I don’t know, probably not and anyway, it’s unlikely you would have the thing in your hands already when the attacker suddenly confronts you. Also it would be hard to do a gun takeaway if you are holding it in your hands, making the defense more complicated. Although you could throw it away, but then the attacker might take it during the struggle.

guerriere

For a woman who’s mainly concerned with rape, IMPACT or a rape-prevention-only course could be useful. KM’s focus on responding after something’s already started is a little intimidating, and I admit sometimes in class it seems the reality-based stuff is more about men’s reality. With a little imagination it’s not hard to see how it applies, though.

clfmak

Stun guns don’t transfer the current to anyone else- you could grapple with someone and shock them at the same time without worry.

The stun gun doesn’t seem to work too well in a quick jabbing motion- say, stop hitting the forearm of an attacking knife arm. I tried jabbing my arm with it when I was holding a training knife- it didn’t make me drop it or anything. Eventually, I need to see the effects of it with longer contact. I’ve zapped myself four times (twice in the forearm, once in the deltoid, once in the glute), and if you get less than a second of it its really not so bad (if it were, I wouldn’t have done it so many times).

It still seems like a good thing to have during grappling. You won’t be able to grab with that hand, but in a clinch you mostly use your forearms to hook, not your hands. And once you encircle the body/neck/etc, you can grip your other arm with your free hand as you administer the shock. Also, it seems like a simple solution to get out of various holds- someone gets you in a headlock or chokehold, you tuck your chin to the side and start attacking the forearm. During a punching exchange, its not really its strong side.

ryan

I’m not a big fan of relying on these types of devices, but your research is flawed. You are prepared for the stun. I guarantee your reactions to it would be much different if you were not expecting to be zapped. Why is it that the punch that knocks you out is the one you don’t see coming?

Oh, and using it in place of a punch for gun defense? 😕 😯

anonymous

I just like to ponder all possibilities…… 😉

I’ve never zapped myself with one of these, but I thought if it emits a strong, immediate electrical shock, it might enhance the power of a punch, but from CLFMak’s description I guess that’s not the case. And it would be hard to get it out of your pocket quickly enough anyway.

Hey Guerriere!

Welcome back!

guerriere

Hey GK! Thanks!

I worry about people carrying weapons without practicing how to use them IRL. I don’t carry any because I think the risk of having it taken away by the bad guy(s) and having it used against me is worse than the potential benefit. The other possibility is keeping it in a purse or pocket, having it stolen, then wondering whether it’s being used against some innocent person somewhere.

That’s why I like krav. Nobody can steal your fist!

clfmak

I’d venture to say that the reason the punch you don’t see knocks you out because if you see it there’s lots of autonomic things your body does to deal with it without you realizing it. I suspect that those autonomic reactions have evolved to deal with trauma, but not dealing with electricity. As far as it being in your pocket, it comes with a belt sheath that allows you to get it out quick. Any sort of weapon should be available to you very quickly.
    I wouldn’t be so worried about a criminal using one of my weapons- if a criminal wanted to hurt someone, they could just as easilly get their own weapon. They could go to the local 99 cent store and get a steak knife, or use the little novelty baseball bat they got as a kid, or fill a sock with change.

anonymous

I do think there may be a difference between how you react when you know you will receive an electric shock or if it happens suddenly, by surprise.

I sometimes have a problem with static electricity, when I touch metal I get a small electric shock and there is even a little spark. This doesn’t happen all the time, but when it does, I usually let out a quick little scream and immediatly pull my hand back. While it is not so painful that the shock itself would incapacitate me in a fight, it does hurt and it startles me for a moment, so if someone tried to hit me right at that moment, I might be too distracted to notice. If I knew I’d get shocked however and I’d be mentally ready for it, it probably wouldn’t be that big of a deal and I would still be able to stay focused.

saxman314

Man, I haven’t heard the word \”senshido\” in a long time. I always wanted to train with those guys. Anyway, a good resource for anyone, especially women worried about prevention is Marc MacYoung’s http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com This site is FULL of free information, and is actually the place where I first heard about Krav when I was in high school 8 years ago. It made such an impression that the first time I saw a Krav studio, I signed up!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: