Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics A bad situation. Need advice.

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    tough-girl

I’m a computer dunce, so I can’t help with the BBcode. 😳

My father was the one who got me started in Krav. I grew up learning basics of self defense, but also always knew that if my attacker were trained, I could only win by getting in the first shot, and that wasn’t a given. I knew that I wasn’t prepared for multiple attackers, and that my only weopon defense was to stay out of the way. I wanted my father to do it with me, it’s been years since he’s trained, but he hasn’t…he’s still glad I’m doing it, although surprised how addicted I got 😛
    My mother is a bit wary, she’s weaker than I’ve ever been, so a lot of the things I do just don’t make sense to her, but she’s not against it.

rta

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

I think people should really try and get over this whole \”grappling looks like sex\” thing.

I don’t think most women’s hesitation with grappling has to do with a resemblance to sex, but more with a resemblance to the power struggle involved with rape and other sexual assault issues. As is generally recognized these days, these are two very separate things. Using a female partner for women sensitive to this might be a good start, but I don’t think it’s a solution, because it does not address that power relationship between male agressor/female defender. Unfotunately I don’t know what the solution might be.

saxman314

Well, I think the solution could be something that comes as part of the Krav classes eventually: training the aggressor mentality. I no longer think of someone attacking me, but someone showing me it’s okay to attack them. For certain personalities, and people with certain histories, this may be harder to train, but the way I see it, if their problem is with grappling, let them do a month of punching and kicking first. Soon, they’ll get used to the idea of destroying anything that threatens them, then you can put them on the ground and see how that mindset helps them there. I don’t know if that would work, but it makes sense to me.

anonymous

I just commented on the sex thing, because runnergirl mentioned it and it reminded me of this guy from Canada (don’t know who it was now), who posted that his MALE classmates had the same apprehensions about working with their other male classmates. That seemed kind of silly, but I guess that’s the way some people feel. I’m just trying to encourage people to get past that, because they might deprive themselves of a really important aspect of self-defense instruction.

Lor, good to know you are hanging in there. Just don’t get nervous when someone in the grappling class refers to the North/South position as the \”69\”! 😉

lor

\”Just don’t get nervous when someone in the grappling class refers to the North/South position as the \”69\”! \”

😯 😆

I’m glad you warned me. I would have laughed… or at the very least made some stupid comment in an attempt to be funny.

sb-nc

Just a thought… concealed carry is legal in more states now, including Florida.

A gun is much scarier to a would-be attacker than anything else. It’s called the ‘great equalizer’ for a reason. You guys are talking about stun guns. Stop being so nice. A rapist deserves to be put down. When a person pulls a gun on you, he’s trying to kill you, and at that stage it’s an aiming contest.

Concealed carry courses are typically only a Saturday’s class session + range time and require almost no physical conditioning to be certified. Your grandma could do it, as long as she can shoot well.

tami90211

Your friends and their wives

I felt compelled to post a reply in regard to this subject. I came to know Krav Maga after my own assault. Unfortunatley it took a bad situation for me to take matters into my own hands, and start to train in Krav Maga. I’ve been training now for 6 months at the LA National training Center, and it’s the BEST thing I’ve EVER done for myself.

Last year at this time my life was perfect. Great job, great friends, and family. I was healthy, a true Yoga buff. A \”Peace\” girl. All natural…YOGA/Pilates. Healthy, fit and happy. Not a drinker, drug free Until…..

I was attacked in my own apartment by a guy I had been dating. If this can happen to me…it can happen to anyone. He choked me, bit me, bruised me, spit on me, and yes, did the unthinkable. I was defenseless, and the only thing I could think of is give him whatever he wants so this nightmare can end. This was the worst day of my life. I felt like I wanted to crawl under a rock and DIE. I didn’t leave my apartment for 2 months. I was afraid to go anywhere…even during the day. I had nightmares everytime I even closed my eyes. My friends helped me gain my strength back, and a local police officer told me about Krav Maga. At last….something. I went to my first class not knowing what to expect. I watched the video. I just wanted to cry (and I did) because I hated violence and was always into the \”peace: thing. I managed to make my way into the classroom, all the while wanted to bolt right out of there. I was angry because this terrible person has made my life CHANGE…someone who is against violence basically HAS TO learn how to fight, and I didn’t realize it until later but….my life changed for the better. I stuck with it, and now I’M NOT AFRAID. I may have been stripped of my soul at one point but ended up GAINING so much. Krav Maga teaches to you defend yourself and counter-attack….But it’s so much more than that. It has trained me not to think twice about defending myself. CONFIDENCE in that is PRICELESS to me. Thank GOD for Krav Maga and what it has given me. I’d like to see someone try and put a choke hold on me now:} Wouldn’t be pretty. So anyone whose wives are holding back on learning this amazing technique….feel free to contact me. YOU NEVER want to go through what I went through..the hard way. TAKE THE EASIER WAY NOW. God bless, Tami

kravmdjeff

Tami, thanks for going out on a limb to share. All of us instructors need to hear that to recognize the stakes of what we’re doing. Thank you so much.

tami90211

KravMDJeff

Thanks for the reply. It really is hard to share those facts, and even go over those thoughts again in my head. You are right. All instructors should be aware that they are not just teaching \”another fitness class\” They could be leading someone like me, to LIVE AGAIN. God Bless, Tami

lor

Thank you, Tami. You and I have quite a bit in common ~ welcome to the board.

((hug))
    Namaste 🙂

jl

sharing

Tami,

I too would like to thank you for sharing. It sincerely is the reason some of us are in Krav for sure(my sister). Whether your sister your mother, cousin, aunt…..self defense is your right, and I’m glad you’re execising your rights.

Believe this if nothing else….it’s people like you that are the GREAT motivators for us all. I don’t know if it’s possible for someone to be proud of someone else they have never met, but if it is, I certainly am proud of you. You could have given up but instead you made yourself stronger. Simply Awesome!! 8)

twig

Tami,
    Yes, thank you for sharing. Very brave of you. I will share your post with every girl I know.

guyk

Tami,
    I don’t know you but I am very proud of you.

anonymous

Tami,

Thanks for sharing this story with us. I’m glad you were able to turn such an awful experience into something positive and I hope your story will serve as an inspiration to other girls.

I think that’s a common misconception of Krav Maga and other self-defense systems, that they are somehow \”violent\”. While we do talk about \”violent\” things such as punching, kicking and eye-gouging, it is strictly in the context of self-defense and we would only use these things in the most dire of circumstances, such as the situation you have described, so it’s quite possible to be a peaceful person and a KM practitioner at the same time.

KM is one of those rare skills you spent years learning all the while hoping that you’ll never actually need to use it. But if you do find yourself in a dangerous situation, I’m sure you’ll be glad about every hour you’ve spent in class preparing for just that moment.

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: