Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Basic Strikes not fast enough the Krav way?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Well as you know I am only level 1. I am a bit analytical so I try to observe and question anything that I feel is not working for me.

I have an issue with the way basic Krav crosses and jabs are thrown.

It seems to me that you you could throw a flurry of punches much quicker without having to pivot off of your feet every time.

I have been practicing pivoting my body with my basic punches and I find that I can probably throw flurries about 2.5 times as fast as I can by pivoting my body.

I am just guessing, but it seems to me that in a street situation I would forget to pivot at all and throw punches as fast as I could.

Do you have any thoughts?

This is just my observation, I am trying to figure this out for myself.

Thanks!

crazy-train

Re: Basic Strikes not fast enough the Krav way?

as you are practicing the pivot in level 1 classes, over emphasize it at times so when you do throw flurries your body will pivot out of habit. with out the pivot you’re throwing the force of your arm, with the pivot you’re putting your entire body into the punch. i havn’t seen it slow anyone down significantly; but do remember to stay loose until the moment of impact.

peterako

The pivot, after much practice and once you begin to get more comfortable with it, will become much sutler and subsequently faster. It is definitely to your advantage to pivot, as you need the power which only your body can provide. You may have some effectiveness with only the arm movements while hitting a bag/pad, but these punches have high velocity but with very little power.

You can also think about it with the fact that your speed in throwing punches will depend much more greatly on your physical state. As you get tired, the punches will begin to slow down, and if you don’t have the body weight powering those punches, you might as well be wasting your time.

You all have stirred the spark! Thank you for thinking along with me!

maddogmean

I remeber having the same problem with the pivot. It felt uncomfortable. I felt like I was too focused on not pivoting and it was messing me up in class. So I just worked on the body mechanics everynight at home. Slowly throwing punches. And I mean every night. Until I got it down. Now I can’t throw a punch any other way. Keep working it becomes second nature. Speed will come with practice. But without the hips you’ll be throwing really fast but weak punches.

stevetuna

I think that Peterako is saying it a lot nicer than I will, but here goes:

WHEN I AM PUNCHING SOMEONE WHO IS A THREAT TO MYSELF OR OTHERS, I AM THROWING EVERY PUNCH WITH THE GOAL OF KNOCKING THAT GUY THE @%&$ OUT WITH EVERY SINGLE PUNCH.

I may not get a second chance. I train as if I am always confronted by a bigger, stronger attacker. I’m not trying to score points. I’m not trying to fight fair. I’m fighting for my life, and, if my daughters or wife are with me, for theirs as well. I cannot lose. Too much is on the line.

So, with that having been set as the wager, I need to train so that I strike the best available soft target with the maximum force that I can muster. And since I know that a punch delivered with a maximum transfer of my weight is the way to do this, then I’ll train to punch in that fashion over and over until it is my instinct (as MadDogMean stated).

I hope this helps!

unstpabl1

Power comes from the ground up. When your body works as a unit as it was intended to it will generate speed plus force. Look at boxers who are fast but rarely knock anyone out. They win on points, but the opponent is still standing there 12 rounds later. Wanna take that chance in the street.

because your a L1, your going to look at things and have questions..keep questioning, thats great, but realize that you don’t know what you don’t know yet. Ask Why do all boxers, MMA use this structure and the pivot first?

I’ll post a vid later, maybe

unstpabl1

Watch at least thru the simulation of Kinetic Linking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l0c6pBNPCI

Enjoy Bas

kmman

Practice it 10,000 times then say it is not working for you.

Bruce Lee said something like this…..Dont fear the man who practiced 10,000 kicks, fear the man who practiced one kick 10,000 times.

OK here is the quote: ìI fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10000 times.î B. Lee

heyload

Awesome video! Thanks, it helped solidify my understanding of what I’m supposed to be doing.

oneness

In Bas’ system, we dont pivot, you dont need to, especially on hooks.

If there is any pivot, we do the right foot only and only if it just happens in the moment.

The striking we do in the BRSystems is different than what you are learning in Krav Maga. Nothing wrong with pivoting, but we generate more power doing what we do than taking the time to pivot.

Power comes from your feet being connected to the ground and your hips rotating/twisting.

brentw

I have always taught it similar to Bas for exactly the same reasons Oneness said. The pivot is usually taught so people can learn to shift their weight but you CAN pivot the foot and not generate power at all. It is a teaching tool, nothing more.

Krav does not exclude punching like that. It’s open so you find what works best for you but keeps you safe in the process.

kirsten

If you pivot when you punch remember that when you pivot your forward leg when you throw, for example- your left hook, you will expose the back of your knee and make it very easy to kick there and knock you down or off balance. I watched Oneness pick apart a golden gloves boxer doing this to him.

You are at a disadvantage here also for defending against the kick because your body is now sideways instead of hips square to the attacker. So defending become more difficult.

If you can become proficient without the pivot, I advocate for that. But if you need to start with it to learn, that is ok too… just don’t pivot the foot on the lead hand hook.

IMO

jaspthecat

Pivoting is part of striking western boxing and Muay Thai.

The more you practice, the quicker you’ll get at it and the less accentuated the movement will be.

unstpabl1

Knew an instructor would complicate the issuerofl2 Teasing guys. I was trying to keep it simple and just show where power comes from. The pivot is a great training tool and some arts insist on it. I noticed as krav moves forward and backwards I use less to none of a pivot.But am pushing from the foot thru the punch

Personal, uneducated, non instructor opininon, not even a yellow belt, is that teaching a newbie the pivot and forming the skill, developes the structure of utilizing the whole body as a unit,, establishing the power base of your punch, forming a good habit, in a place where its easier to form a bad one

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: