Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Basic Strikes not fast enough the Krav way?

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    kirsten

Re: Basic Strikes not fast enough the Krav way?

If size really matters, most men would be in trouble and I sure as heck might as well give up ever trying to defend myself. 🙂

Yup, that be the fight. So he got 2 of the liver shots (palm strike). Priceless.

stevetuna

quote Kirsten:

And the trial was over, so I didn’t even bother faking it for him…

Way too funny!!! There haven’t been many judges who would allow me within punching distance!

(and let’s not even discuss the concept of faking it…)

And, as previously stated, in a fight you need to throw every punch with significant bad intent!

coda-vex

quote Kirsten:

If size really matters, most men would be in trouble

rofl2rofl2rofl2

You kill me.

leejam99

its late and my eyes are heavy so i didn’t read through every post.. but here my take. every one is really focused on pivoting of the FOOT. but why? its not the pivoting of the foot that give you power on the punch, its your hips turning that’s making your foot pivot. If you just pivot your foot but do not engage your hips, there’s no transfer of power to you limbs. The only reason why your foot should be pivoting is because the rotation of the hip is causing the foot to pivot. it is your hips that give you the power, not the foot. if you don’t use your hips, if you don’t get your hip involved in a punch, kick, jumping, etc.. you have that much less power.

aviatordave

quote leejam99:

its late and my eyes are heavy so i didn’t read through every post.. but here my take. every one is really focused on pivoting of the FOOT. but why? its not the pivoting of the foot that give you power on the punch, its your hips turning that’s making your foot pivot. If you just pivot your foot but do not engage your hips, there’s no transfer of power to you limbs. The only reason why your foot should be pivoting is because the rotation of the hip is causing the foot to pivot. it is your hips that give you the power, not the foot. if you don’t use your hips, if you don’t get your hip involved in a punch, kick, jumping, etc.. you have that much less power.

That’s exactly what I was taught in boxing, and also exactly how they teach us in Krav. Pivoting the foot for a jab is just a tool to teach beginners how to get the hips rotating. Once that is understood, you don’t pivot the front foot on a jab anymore, but like every punch and even kick, you always rotate the hips.

ryan

force=mass x acceleration

If the question is about power, you have to increase your mass, the mass engaged in the punch or your speed.

As far as what others are able to do, it doesn’t really matter much…what matters is what works for the individual. Pivot, don’t pivot; doesn’t make much difference, as long as YOU are able to engage your hips, core and legs.

coda-vex

Been recovering from a lower back pull for over a week now and am finally feelimg better so I decided to revamp the garage for my crossfit and heavy bag workouts with a lifting platform and gym mats etc., pretty happy with it.

After I got done today I thought I’d give Bas’ “pre-pivot” kicking style a go on the bag for for a liitle while and try it out. Man that really felt good, almost like A spring wound up and then set free. I didn’t go 100% but I could defenitely feel more power being generated. Took a bit to get the timing down so it is all one movement but I’ll defenitely be practicing and incorporating thisinto my round kicks.

kirsten

quote Coda Vex:

Been recovering from a lower back pull for over a week now and am finally feelimg better so I decided to revamp the garage for my crossfit and heavy bag workouts with a lifting platform and gym mats etc., pretty happy with it.

After I got done today I thought I’d give Bas’ “pre-pivot” kicking style a go on the bag for for a liitle while and try it out. Man that really felt good, almost like A spring wound up and then set free. I didn’t go 100% but I could defenitely feel more power being generated. Took a bit to get the timing down so it is all one movement but I’ll defenitely be practicing and incorporating thisinto my round kicks.

Wow, that’s excellent. I am glad it worked for you! That always makes Bas happy when that “a-ha” moment happens for somebody.

stevetuna

Now that I’m down to pretty much one leg to kick with, I’m using that a lot more. The lead leg is sneaky, too.

clfmak

quote Kirsten:

I guess then I will never be convinced… I don’t believe boxers to be the most effective style of striking for the purposes of self-defense, nor the “chinese internal arts”. I had a Judge call me to chambers after trial once to tell me he could knock me out with some chinese thingy… (he knew I trained).. didn’t work. And the trial was over, so I didn’t even bother faking it for him…

Bas tells a great story about a “one finger death touch” that didn’t work on him either, and I will leave out the name of the very well know instructor… so, no- no disrespect but I will have to just manage with my no pivot striking style, since I have seen Bas use that effectively.

The Chinese internal arts are full of people who don’t know as much about fighting as they think. I’ve met one guy who was very good- he teaches out of a park in San Diego to 3 regular students. For a good laugh, it’s always fun to go on youtube and look up anything by Erle Montaigue.

jamesh-d30

Pivoting is a teaching tool for punching, not really a part of the technique. The rotation should be in your shoulders and hips, and hip rotation needs a turn or bend in the knee to get range of motion. Some people have trouble with this in the beginning, hence teaching the ‘pivot’ in the beginning. Later, the pivot should happen as an incidental by-product of this rotation if it happens at all. Trying to make it happen for the punch actually takes away from the punch since it’s difficult or impossible to pivot while simultaneously pushing forward on the same foot.

clfmak

I also like the pivot so I can turn it into a side kick to the guts if the guy moves back/I misjudged the range in the first place. There’s some really slick examples of this working well in savate.

jrodf4

Well comparing a boxer to a KM student is like comparing apples and oranges. As far as boxing goes yeah they teach you the pivots. You dont have to worry about getting kicked in boxing. As far as the myth of boxers not throwing every punch with power well it depends on their trainer. I trained in boxing for about 15+ years and my trainer preached power with every punch.

As far as exposing the back of your knee when you pivot throwing a left hook. Well u should be in close when throwing a hook anyway so the kick shouldn’t be as hard. Plus I cant remember only throwing a hook without following it up with other punches.

Kinda funny we were practicing that last night in class. Throwing a 3 punch combo Jab-right & left hook and defending the kick to my left leg.thumbsup

For the people in question that are beginning students with no other experience. Just do what they tell you it will eventually all make sense in the end.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: