Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Basic Strikes not fast enough the Krav way?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Re: Basic Strikes not fast enough the Krav way?

Like others already mentioned: if you have some kind of rotation going on there will be more body mass behind the strike & more force.

kirsten

If we were just looking at the physics of it, then yes you would think it would BUT Again, I would say look at Brent’s post… Pivoting doesn’t naturally just lend itself to a stronger punch. Any instructor proficient in striking can tell you that they have seen people use short, “t-rex” arms when punching and not utilize all their power even though they are using the piviot. Power is generated through contact with the ground and driving with your legs, not in the pivot of the foot on the ground.

Me personally, I say pivot to learn if you must- then drop it and move on. Or keep doing it, but know that you really do open yourself up to being dropped by giving up the back of your knee… Just a thought.

maddogmean

I’m interested to see how to use the Bas Rutten technique. I noticed that I do have an exposed knee on my hook more so than my jab. Just a couple of questions. I lack much upper body strength. I’m no Bas Rutten that’s for sure. So I feel I need a complete extension of my arms (jab) and hip movement to generate power. I feel my hook does have this, at the expense of an exposed knee. Can I get the same power this other way? Is the exposed knee more of an issue in sparring than in the street, where I don’t intend on giving the attacker time to find the exposed knee?

Just curious. I’m always open to improve my techniques.

bradm

I may be wrong, but isn’t a hook more of a close in punch. I think it would be more difficult to kick to the leg (front leg or knee) when in close to your opponent. From my experience, I think you would be more abpt to get kicked in the leg after throwing a jab or straight punch. I know I used to sometimes use a kick to the leg as a counter, followed by punches, when my opponent threw a jab at me. Just my opinion though.

imike

I was also wondering about the same question as OP, but the answers provided here cover the topic well.

I wonder for those who have experience in boxing, do they do punches with pivoting and shoulder twists like we learn in krav maga? Boxers are probably the best to look up to for the right kind of punches

oneness

If I was only boxing then, I would look at a boxer for striking points. But since we are learning self defense and have to worry about takedowns, kicks and so many other factors, look at others as well, not just boxing. just my two cents on that.

The hook – that’s the problem as well, too many think its only a close punch. The hook, right or left is a hook when your arm is not straight. So any bend in your elbow from chest to a straight punch, its a hook.

You dont need upper body mass to punch harder, just good technigue. Force = mass * acceleration. So small mass and more speed. Its the reason a wrecking ball can knock down a bigger stronger wall.

jaspthecat

quote iMike:

I was also wondering about the same question as OP, but the answers provided here cover the topic well.

I wonder for those who have experience in boxing, do they do punches with pivoting and shoulder twists like we learn in krav maga? Boxers are probably the best to look up to for the right kind of punches

Yes, same principals apply.

High power in punches is achieved from driving your back foot through your legs, hips, shoulders to arms. Think of the power travelling as a wave.

As to how much pivot and twist is used can also be based on range ie your not going to perform a full twist and pivot if the target is 15 inches from you.

Also, the more proficient you become the less perceptible the pivot and twist will be.

Have you look on Youtube for Xing Yi Quan or any other internal martial arts, the internal arts concentrate on the development of power through the structure of the body, so much so that the strikes appear quite ‘light’ but in effect are very profound.

kirsten

Keep in mind, Krav Maga is a reality based system, not a martial art. While it is fine to cross train, keep in mind we are trying to stay within the principles of Krav Maga for self-defense. If its a boxing match, then yes, if its a TKD sparring match then look to TKD for help… for self-defense purposes boxing may not be the best answer to all the questions on striking. A boxing stance for example is more bladed. So using a boxing stance can create some problems as the Krav Maga stance is keeping your hips square to your attacker. I personally am a fan of boxing drills and padwork, but I use my KM / BRS stance and not a boxing stance and don’t pivot. However I did pivot when I was first learning Krav Maga, but dropped it later on. So don’t stress too much if your doing it, or not doing it… Like Brent said, its all acceptable.

But back to the initial post, I am not sure why you are pivoting on a left and right straight… I maybe misunderstanding. Your back leg heel should be up slightly and you may (as your hips rotate with your shoulders as you make the puch) experience your back leg pivoting naturally. Sometimes we explain it like its “putting out a cigarette”. But it occurs naturally and you shouldn’t really have to think about it.

I am glad the Bas video helped out! Thanks for posting it.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Kirsten:

I am glad the Bas video helped out! Thanks for posting it.

Bas videos are always a great resource

kirsten

Bas is the man when it comes to this stuff. You are going to love his new “Bas Rutten Fight Club” program! Especially since your teaching non-fighters. Its geared for your students. 01.01.10… instructor certification, see you there!!

leam

Check out this video of Tommy Carruthers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBTM6_l-Gdk&feature=related

Now that’s fast!

Leam

unstpabl1

quote CJs Dad:

Bas videos are always a great resource, without them where would so many people get their curriculum. LOL

Thats an old discussion but I figured it out. An instructor puts the Bas tape in and he or she has 45 minutes to flirt with the counter girl/guy:dunno: IF you had a dvd who’d notice you were missing….if we put it on That We video contraption you’d have the whole hour and could do video testing….Screw this I’m buying all the bas tapes and opening a school dangit:jerry: I formally apologize for losing it. In my defense I have been making …um friends by pissing them off on other forums today. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have Fan..er okay Hate mail to attend to. and must kick a few people in their viryual Ding Dings…Adieu:soapbox:

kirsten

quote unstpabl1:

Thats an old discussion but I figured it out. An instructor puts the Bas tape in and he or she has 45 minutes to flirt with the counter girl/guy:dunno: IF you had a dvd who’d notice you were missing….if we put it on That We video contraption you’d have the whole hour and could do video testing….Screw this I’m buying all the bas tapes and opening a school dangit:jerry: I formally apologize for losing it. In my defense I have been making …um friends by pissing them off on other forums today. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have Fan..er okay Hate mail to attend to. and must kick a few people in their viryual Ding Dings…Adieu:soapbox:

“ding dings” ROTFL

Its ok, everyone does it. My boss used to say, “If your not getting complaints Zee- then your not doing your job”… Gotta like a police supervisor that says that to you! 🙂

unstpabl1

quote Kirsten:

“ding dings” ROTFL

Its ok, everyone does it. My boss used to say, “If your not getting complaints Zee- then your not doing your job”… Gotta like a police supervisor that says that to you! 🙂

My line was` always if I didn’t piss someone off today, I must not have said anything

YEAh, but I’m learned something. People seem to like you alot when you just agree with them and tell them how wonderful they are. They seem to get a bit pissy when you don’t just buy their BS..Who Knewrofl2

dkatman

quote unstpabl1:

My line was` always if I didn’t piss someone off today, I must not have said anything

YEAh, but I’m learned something. People seem to like you alot when you just agree with them and tell them how wonderful they are. They seem to get a bit pissy when you don’t just buy their BS..Who Knewrofl2

I agree with you completely. Thanks a lot for sharing that. That was great. You are great.

;):

Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: