Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Do you wear KM clothing outside of training?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    vwr32

Re:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

I don’t remember the last one on one fight I was in. I do remember the last 2 fights, they were 4-1 and 6-1.

Sounds like you’ve been in a few scraps before… out of curiosity, have you EVER been in a fight *while* wearing your krav maga shirt?

I’ve been in a few myself… they seem to have stopped once I stopped going to bars and hanging around drunk people lol. What a coincidence.

unstpabl1

Re:

[quote=\”vwr32

I’ve been in a few myself… they seem to have stopped once I stopped going to bars and hanging around drunk people lol. What a coincidence.[/quote]

Hey V, How you been 🙂 I hate posting stuff like that, but I had a point. I absolutely hate fighting. Too old. As a kid I worked as a Doorman at a Disco that went Rock Club as Disco died. I weighed about a buck 20 soaking wet. I went from getting laid every night to getting in a fight every night, once it went to Rock. Different crowd. And yes I only stopped bartending a few years back. So that accounts for the last 2 fights and its thankfully been a while. Insert alcohol, instant asshole 🙄

Because of what I do now, I’m all over L.A. at all different times day and night, so I don’t take personal security lightly. Bangers see the Tshirts they consider it a challenge. Bet he can’t beat a Glock 😆

I’ve never been in a fight over a tshirt but I have been interviewed and probed.

I witnessed a guy eat a baseball bat who was wearing martial art propaganda in a bar. He was well built and got in a hassle over a girl. 2 guys tried picking up a girl he was with. Guess they weren’t impressed by the Tshirt. Its not a deterrent. Anyway, it got to a pushing, posturing thing and the 2 disengaged immediately and left. Waited for him to leave. Luckily for him they didn’t headhunt, but they beat him pretty good.

After it was over and I thought about it. I got the feeling they set the guy up from the get go. Like they were looking for kicks, looking to kick someones ass for fun. Everything seemed choreographed, like the did it before.

The question was do you wear the stuff outside of class. I try not to and simply gave my reasoning. I understand why many will disagree. Also V remember, I don’t train in krav., so I don’t have the Tshirt 😆

Hope your doing really great

Mike

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Half of my wardrobe is MA tee shirtsÖ But then Iíd never wear something that said ìtactical knife fighting and INSTRUCTORî across the back to a bar. I even have one that says ìfights well with othersî on the back.
    For day to day kicking around sure no big deal, but not into a potentially bad situation.

I live in a bad area and my wife often wears KM shirts when she goes out because she feels its more of a deterrent. They might not know what Kav Maga means or ever heard of it. I donít know if its psychological on her part or if wearing something that says ìfighting or combatî on it makes someone think twice but Iíd like to think it does.

At least to me if I see a guy with a picture of a Glock on his shirt it makes me think hmmm he might be carrying.

The caveat to this is that as a big guy most of my life Iíve always felt that I had a target on my head as the guy to either not mess with or hey lets see if I can take him. Wearing a shirt probably isnít a factor in my case simple because I donít look like someone people would want to have a problem with.

Multiple attackers is another story. LOL

vwr32

Re:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

The question was do you wear the stuff outside of class. I try not to and simply gave my reasoning. I understand why many will disagree. Also V remember, I don’t train in krav., so I don’t have the Tshirt 😆

Hope your doing really great

Mike

I’m doing fine. There was nothing you needed to clarify with your initial post, I was just asking a question. i can see why you might be more in tune with security than some being all over LA at different times of day. There are a lot of scary people in the world, and I’m not one of them. Staying under the radar would probably be more of a concern if I ever left the suburbs in my off time lol.

I think we’re talking about two diifferent situations tho. One being a challenge where there is on some level a mutual respect of fighting ability and the other being an ambush where the attacker looks for the path of least resistance.

Challenger: Similar to gunslingers who meet in the street to test the other guy’s speed. There is no test if one simply sniper shoots the other from a concealed location. In the krav shirt scenario, for whatever reason someone approaches you with dialogue and maybe a physical challenge to prove their system is better.

Ambush: If a criminal bent on home invasion had two homes to chose from, one with no visible security and one with clearly marked ADT protection… I find it difficult to believe he would pick the ADT home simply to test his skills. Same with the advertising of a self-defense knowledge. If a rapist had the option to attack ordinary looking soccer mom in a grocery parking lot or a woman wearing a Gi outside a martial arts school, I think the path of least resistance is obvious.

unstpabl1

V, doesn’t Krav teach the avoidance of your first scenario and prepare you for the second? And yes we’re probably looking at 2 different situations. My mindset changed after my last fight. I didn’t realise I was in it till I came to. If it wasn’t for a girl standibng over my body and a ton of people being around not helping it would’ve been a lot worse than 7 stiches and some bruises. I came to understand that even those chest pushing ego things can quickly become life or death. To the Scary people, its always an extreme

Hopefully, the 2 of us are beyond the testosone pissing contests of youth.
    The more likely scenario is we look like an easy mark. That staying under the radar thing is exactly what I’m saying.

Seans post on his wife brings up an interesting point, Why are we wearing the stuff? I remember years ago I trained Ninpo and always wore a black hoody advertising the fact. Hood up at night 😆 Yes I was telling people Don’t screw with me 🙄 Whether we realise it or not we make statements with what we wear. Most of the time its on purpose. Seans wife wears it as a deterent.

The stuff I’ve learned of late, getting to know RBSD instructors and BTDT guys is to always look capable, but never reveal your skill or intention. Fight full out to destroy or get the hell outta dodge. Sean’s seen me, I got no choice but to rely on treachery 😆 oh yeah and charm. I ooze charm 😆

Good talking to ya!
    Mike

Shoot. just in case Sean is CJ’s Dad

vwr32

Re:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

V, doesn’t Krav teach the avoidance of your first scenario and prepare you for the second?

Hrmm… not really that I’ve ever seen. From start to finish, the krav classes I’ve been in are pretty much the same. Endurance and being able to overcome the attacker(s). We’ve not had any classes on \”avoidance\” yet, and I’d be surprised to see such instruction in something based on military hand to hand.

Wearing a shirt that says \”I’m Bad!\” into the wrong neighborhood is asking for trouble. I think you’re talking more about common sense than learning tactical avoidance. Unfortunately, experience is the best teacher for that. I don’t feel I’m testing the waters wearing my Krav shirt to my favorite sushi restaurant or local Starbucks.

And speak for yourself about looking like an easy mark… I’ve been working out and taking supplements. 😛 😆

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”vwr32\:

[.

And speak for yourself about looking like an easy mark… I’ve been working out and taking supplements. 😛 😆

Well they better get on that avoidance wagon train then. Start with Peyton Quinn stuff, TPI etc 😆

Hey how long does it take for glucosimine to take effect? I supplement by the way to some degree. I have gout so I’m exploring. Use digestive enzymes, fish oil,Pro biotic, good Multi. Of course I eat like shit. Wondering about the Glucosimine cause it didn’t seem to do anything was, on it for a few months(not for gout) just normal joint pain. Curious on your expirience?

vwr32

Re:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

Hey how long does it take for glucosimine to take effect? I supplement by the way to some degree. I have gout so I’m exploring. Use digestive enzymes, fish oil,Pro biotic, good Multi. Of course I eat like shit. Wondering about the Glucosimine cause it didn’t seem to do anything was, on it for a few months(not for gout) just normal joint pain. Curious on your expirience?

I know there’s conflicting results for the effectiveness of glucosomine. From what I’ve seen it supports healthy joints, and slows damage from osteoarthritis. Does it work? I’ve not seen one report that supplementing glucosamine is harmful, so I’d rather supplement it on the grounds that i *may* be slowing any damage that would be going on without the supplement.
    http://ww2.arthritis.org/conditions/alttherapies/Glucosamine.asp

Currently, I’m taking glucosomine with MSM. I feel the same as before I started taking it… but maybe that means it’s working.
    http://www.1backpain.com/all_about_glucosamine_and_msm.htm

unstpabl1

Thanks for the links and the info

rattler

WOW! After reading unstpabl1’s post I think I’ll just sit in my Porsche listening to my ipod, wearing my Krav Maga shirt and wait for class to start. All while safely parked in front of the closest police station, of course. I’ll freely admit to never having been in a fight against the incredible odds the unstpable1 has faced but I also have to say I’ve never gotten into a fight over any piece of clothing.

\”So that One May Walk in Peace\” That’s why I got involved in Krav Maga. I could certainly be misinterpreting what that slogan means but I have never seen a disclaimer about walking in peace unless you wear our shirts, have a fancy car, use an iPod, or whatever. I musta been sick the day they taught that one.

This is simple. Wear what you want to wear. If you are afraid it might provoke someone into starting a fight with you, don’t wear the clothes, or drive the nice car, use your iPod, this list could go on and on. Where would it end?

vwr32: Something called Triflex from GNC works for me on my joint pain. Who knows though? It could only work because I want it to so badly!

unstpabl1

hey Rattler

don’t mistake me for being paranoid, thinking I’m John wayne or telling anyone how to dress. Far from it on all accounts.The question was asked and I responded why I perfer not to. Simply I don’t want you to know what I know. I use to talk to people about training, now I do it online. Too much BS otherwise. Its how I choose to operate. Not for you cool 🙂 Its my prefrence and I offered reasons why.

Making lite over incredible odds 😆 is totally understandable, but I almost got killed both times.Being Caucasian in Long Beach and trying to find your car at 3am is not a good place to be. I ain’t bragging or playing Net Toughguy cause I’m neither a braggert or a tough guy, nor cocky.

As far as never getting into a fight over clothing, thats the way it should be. Unfortunately, kids die every week based on the color of their clothes. Wear blue in a hood where you should be wearing Red end up dead. But your just passing thru, great a victim. Think the Bloods and the Crips aren’t in your neighborhood. Wrong crack makes em’ nationwide. Maybe you never lived around gangs or think you haven’t.

Situational awareness is a big key to RBSD, maybe your were sick that day or your school doesn’t teach it or your simply not intersted. All is cool, as I said I’m not selling anything and only can say why I do or don’t do something. If its something that resonates for you great, if not thats great too

Hope that helps

mike

vwr32

Re:

quote \”Rattler\:

\”So that One May Walk in Peace\” That’s why I got involved in Krav Maga.

I only got involved so I could wear cool t-shirts to the mall.

The Triflex has some good ingredients, but I think there’s some new thinking on chondroitin (one of the ingredients in Triflex).

From bodybuilding.com:
    \”What does it do and what scientific studies give evidence to support this?
    According to convincing research, glucosamine sulfate may take a part in healing wounds as well as regenerating cartilage in joints. By providing joints with the essential raw materials, glucosamine sulfate can help rebuild cartilage and lessen joint pain. Research shows that it is absorbed into the body at a rate much more effective than other \”joint-healers\”. Because of the small size of the molecules, they are absorbed at a rate of 98%–compare that to the mere 13% absorption rate of chondroitin sulfate, and you can understand why glucosamine sulfate works so much better. By stimulating production of additional synovial fluid, studies show that glucosamine sulfate helps keep joints in the body rolling smoothly. Recent studies have found that as a readily absorbed building block for cartilage, glucosamine sulfate works as a rebuilder of cartilage in humans.\”
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/glucos.html

Glucosamine plays a role in skin, joints, hair, and other tissues in the body. The experts are split down the middle about the ability to help joint health, but there are studies that support both sides of the debate. In a CNN article, they talk about different ways to keep the joints healthy. Aside from supplements, there are things you can be doing to help keep the joints from becoming worse. They aren’t quite as \”easy\” as popping a pill, but will probably do more in the long run than a lifetime of glucosamine supplementation. Incidently, this is what they said about glucosamine:

\”The latest news on supplements
    Late last year, a study of 1,583 knee osteoarthritis patients conducted by the University of Utah School of Medicine found that glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate — two of the most popular dietary supplements used as alternative therapies to treat osteoarthritis — provided a modicum of pain relief for patients whose arthritis was deemed moderate to severe. However, people in the study with milder forms of arthritis pain reported no benefit whatsoever.\”
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/02/27/CL.joint.health/index.html

Wonder if a glucosamine t-shirt would render the same effect from non-supplementing ppl my age? \”You think you’re tough cuz u take glucosamine?\”

Then I’d have to find a N.O. Xplode hat… it’s a never ending cycle. 😥

Glucosamine is very effective. This is especially the case when supplemented with Chondroitin. They are often found together in a single pill supplement.

Basically all this keeps your joints healthy and smooth and the supps take effect in just a few weeks, as long as you take them on a regular basis.

I’ve been on it for a while to help, and belive it or not, I give it to one of my dogs too. (she has a broken hip joint, now walks with no limp)

….

as far as wearing krav gear, sometime I go out and a wear nothing but my krav shin guards and a groin protector. Nobody has messed with me. It must be because they are scared of me.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re:

quote \”NewKravAddict\:

as far as wearing krav gear, sometime I go out and a wear nothing but my krav shin guards and a groin protector. Nobody has messed with me. It must be because they are scared of me.

I’m scared of that visual!

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”CJs Dad\:

quote \”NewKravAddict\:

I’m scared of that visual!

Yeah, me too. Where exactly in L.A. do you live NKA. West Hollywood? 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: