Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books How to COUNTER/DEFEND against Wing Chun (Ving Tsun or "Wing Tsun")?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    hacc-ckm

Re: How to COUNTER/DEFEND against Wing Chun (Ving Tsun or "Wing Tsun")?

Guy’s give sticky hands a chance lol. You will be suprised how it will change your mind on how you strike . One art art I train is Sayoc Kali and we use sticky hands to help learn trapping and to free up the knife . It is one of the coolist things I use when I work at the bar . Helps with getting in and around people trying to throw hands in one way or another . It has helped me in every art I train love it . Oh and krav uses some stuff from Wing Chun.

Instructor in one art a student every chance I get
    Gene Talbert

guerriere

What are sticky hands? I thought it was something shoplifters and workplace thieves have.

jjk

Guerrie, youtube it. It’ll show a lot better than anyone here can explain.

I remember those gummy hands that could stick to walls and stuff, and that were elastic so you could pull things back to you. Man my parents hated me for ruining the walls like that.

kmcat

I searched for sticky hands on YouTube.com and found several videos.

I would describe it as a kind of hand/arm blocking technique that at times looks a little like inside/outside/360 defenses. Except it involves the defender attempting to keep their hands, wrists and forearms in contact with the opponents hands/arms. It does the defender looks like he would be open to a potential groin kick attack.

vwr32

quote KMCat:

defender looks like he would be open to a potential groin kick attack.

that’s where “sticky groin” comes in…

leejam99

quote Nixxon:

Speaking of scarey asians….

I know a buddy stationed in Korea who was in a bar with some friends one night. One of his pals got into it with some Korean (over a girl, go figure), so his buddy squares off with him and the Korean takes off his shoes right in the middle of the bar. The American guy quickly apologized and lost the heart to fight. I guess he figured if your busting off your shoes in the middle of a bar to whoop somones ass you know somthing pretty nuts.

Go Koreans!!

James
    scary Korean at Sherman Oaks.

jburtonpdx

quote vwr32:

that’s where “sticky groin” comes in…

Uhm you can get a shot for that, clean you up real quick…

kravmdjeff

Being of Scottish descent, I liked the answer involving the headbutt the best. But practically speaking, I also liked the awareness answer of “if you’re in an elevator, there probably aren’t multiple attackers”…hence, go grappling. Funny how those guys tend not to go to the ground in the old 70’s kung fu movies.

rq

quote Nixxon:

Speaking of scarey asians….

I know a buddy stationed in Korea who was in a bar with some friends one night. One of his pals got into it with some Korean (over a girl, go figure), so his buddy squares off with him and the Korean takes off his shoes right in the middle of the bar. The American guy quickly apologized and lost the heart to fight. I guess he figured if your busting off your shoes in the middle of a bar to whoop somones ass you know somthing pretty nuts.

Fighting over juicy girls (korean bar prostitute) … what a shame.

Funnier than that is I know a few people that brought home their juicy whor.. I mean girls as wives… banghead

Korea was fun though, everyone kept so drunk, and we got into brawls literally every week, sometimes a few times a week. Ah those were the days.

jjk

quote KravMDjeff:

Funny how those guys tend not to go to the ground in the old 70’s kung fu movies.

Lol, that’d probably be the most boring martial arts movie ever.

labrat

Unfortunately, if the “Evil Wing Chun” student has “Sticky Hands” skills then they probably have “Sticky Feet” skills too (Thus defending the groin). Furthermore… precise nerve and pressure point strikes pose a major threat to any potential BJJ/Grappling.

This is really bothering me. This guy at work studies this system and in exchange for Krav training, has begun training me in Basic Wing Chun. Everytime we spar he wins.

Hi Fellas.

Found this thread really interesting as I taught Wing Chun for around 8 years prior to Krav Maga. I have stopped teaching Wing Chun now as I teach Krav full time.

If you come across a good, and aggressive wing chun practioner at close range you are in a whole world of trouble. Simply put within arms reach when he comes into contact with you, you are in his world, (or hers). Its like grappling with a BJJ guy with no understanding of the the ground.

Having fought as a wing chun guy versus common traditional arts (in competitions etc, not real life) you aim to get in, close the distance, possibly trap if it presents its self and typicaly rain fast chain punches to the fighter then work elbows and sticky legs etc.On the street the same principles apply.This works really well…….until you come across a grappler,or multiple opponents, or a knife.

The awareness and training is vastly different and not aimed at these scenarious. Some instructors are trying to address this, but generally Krav is so much better for the street.

Returning to dealing with a wing chun practioner, he has to close the gap or let you close on him with an attack, so you either strike and move or strike and go for a takedown and get to the ground quick. Most wing chun guys still have not learned to fight well here despite protestations that wing chun works on the ground, it doesnt. Not unless it tacked on to good ground fighting skills.

However these are not street techniques. Personally on the street, I would either pick something up as a weapon, (no rules in krav), strike disengage and escape or get close quick, using knees, clinching take downs and finish things. Hard Krav training will equip you for most things.

guerriere

Thanks for the insight! These theoretical matches always make me wonder about the supposed character-building aspect of the martial arts. Would someone with the type of psychological make-up to pick a fight or attack someone really get to a level in wing chun (or other MAs) anyway? And would anyone studying KM be getting into a fight when they have a choice not to? Since KM techniques start with the premise that the other party starts things, and the traditional MA are supposed to train soldiers and not thugs, how would a fight get started?

giant-killer

Even KM practitioners can lose their temper sometimes… 😉

raneman

quote Guerriere:

Thanks for the insight! These theoretical matches always make me wonder about the supposed character-building aspect of the martial arts. Would someone with the type of psychological make-up to pick a fight or attack someone really get to a level in wing chun (or other MAs) anyway? And would anyone studying KM be getting into a fight when they have a choice not to? Since KM techniques start with the premise that the other party starts things, and the traditional MA are supposed to train soldiers and not thugs, how would a fight get started?

Can’t you just hit the Wing Chun dude in the head with a brick? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: