Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Is Rank Important to You?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    jaspthecat

Personally No

In my teens I studies TKD for years and achieved 3rd KUP (IIRC) which was a red belt (one before black). Since coming back to MA I’ve not been bothered about grading and going up the belts.

Reason being is that I’ve seen and heard of far too many black belts getting their arses handed to them in real life scenarios, plus I believe too much emphasis is put on passing the grading rather then developing an all round fighter.

I’ve now studied Kravs for about a year and also study Muay Thai and have not taken the opportunity to grade (in Muay Thai we don’t have a belt system).

Is rank and the belt system important to you and why?

mara-jade

Re: Is Rank Important to You?

I wanted to know I could make it to Green. Hubby and I just passed Green back in August. We’d gotten hurt, life got in the way, etc. We’d been doing this 5 1/2 years but hadn’t been able to test until now.

Is it a race? Not at all. Folks can choose not to test but in some instances you’ll never learn new techniques unless periodic seminars (i.e. basic weapons) are offered like at my center.

Would it be cool to get the next belt – sure.. Am I gonna kill myself or rush to get there. HELL NO. It’s not a race – enjoy the journey:wav:

unstpabl1

Testing to me always meant testing fees. You get to a point and all of a `sudden the instructor says test. Means he needs cash. In most systems ya ain’t gonna fail.

The cool thing about krav is everyone seems to earn their advancement. I don’t care if the student isn’t athletic or looks bad, but challenge him on fundamentals. He should feel like he accomplished something. Most rank is about ego and time served

With that said, one of my concerns is being able to advance in krav. Being realistic, I’m not sure putting my body thru 4 hour tests is a smart thing to do. So I’m not even thinking about testing L1. I don’t really care other than you see different things in the system. I guess, I joined and I’ll show up and train as i can, been pretty lean last few weeks, and see where it takes me at 51. One day at a time. Testing is putting the cart in front of the horse. Horses get pretty pissy about that.:dunno:

My main purpose in taking krav at this point is to get healthy and fit, so rank isn’t an issue. Seems we need to look at our own goals and accomplsh them rather than someone elses standards. Goals are fluid and change quickly. I guess I’ll reasses in a few months or so.

Its hard because I have a natural tendency to want to help and teach, but I don’t see that happening in this system. To me thats what rank should be about. The ability to tranfer knowledge. Its also the point where you really absorb an art into your system as you learn more by teaching than you ever did as a student

voodoo

Not worried about grading, although I’ll get P1-graded before the end of the year. I train with people up to P4 and do everything they do (it’s a small group).

Grading is good feedback and gives that sense of accomplishment, but I’m there to learn how to look after myself and my family and there’s no grading for that.

-Voodoo

kmman

Rank not important to me because my attacker will not care BUT, we need to test/advance to learn new material, no?

Otherwise you will only learn L1 material.

Question now is…can you be effective only knowing L1? Would it fall under the premise of knowing few techniques but mastering them?

jaspthecat

quote KMMAN:

Rank not important to me because my attacker will not care BUT, we need to test/advance to learn new material, no?

Question now is…can you be effective only knowing L1? Would it fall under the premise of knowing few techniques but mastering them?

Well you have a point there.

However, my club teach techniques regardless of what level they are aimed at, one day we may be doing standing choke work, the next gun defense or ground work.

If I had to stick to L1 stuff until I graduated to L2, I think I may have given up by now…

With variables depending on school / instructor, KM level testing tends to be a fairly challenging experience which feels like an achievement to have made it through & has some learning value as techniques get more drilled into one’s mind – also, again depending on the instructor, they may make time during the exam to point things out & run through certain techniques, again enhancing the learning element.

unstpabl1

quote KMMAN:

Based on your quote of Bruce Lee in an earlier post, the 10000 kicks one, I’d say yes. In L1, you devolope basic combatives. Pretty much the 8 limbs of Muay Thai. Boxing. Punches, knees, elbow, front kick. Boxing is street effective and has less. Plus you train aggression.

kmman

Excellent point!

silas

At my school we dont have and belt/rank/level system and that works fine for me. I’ve been going for a year and I’m still learning new stuff all the time. Our instructor knows whos been there longer and when he’s going around giving tips and correcting he will give the more experienced ways to push the drills to the next level. And in the fight class we work on the more advanced/intense material. The downside i guess would be a lack goals for people who need/want that, may be difficult for some to visualize thier progress, and kinda creates a hectic learning pattern as there is no set curiculum per se. I personally like it this way.

dkatman

Yes. At my school, there is a real pecking order. I have to bring an extra $1.50 to each class for a level 4 to have Gatorade after class.

OK, that was just fun.

But there is some inspiration to pass levels just to get to take more classes. When I started and only took level 1 classes, I was there for the hour and then left. As soon as I passed the Level 1 test, I was able to double up classes and take Level 1, then Level 2. Now I get a real decent mix of classes. It isn’t like going to a standard gym and working out when you want. Here, the school has to be open and they have to offer a class you are interested in and that you are allowed to attend. I see passing levels as a ticket allowing me to train more often. And at a certain point, there is definitely interesting material you just don’t see so often at lower levels (They are like crack dealers, giving you little glimpses of what is taught in the next level or two up).

Dave

unstpabl1

quote DKatman:

(They are like crack dealers, giving you little glimpses of what is taught in the next level or two up).

Dave

KEWL..Krav is crack ( In my best Homer Simpson Voice)

soulburn18

Yes and No. Is the rank important for bragging rights or to show off? No, absolutely not. As Bruce Lee said “The only thing belts are good for is to hold your pants up.”

However, rank can be a symbol of your instructor’s approval of how well you’ve learned the techniques he’s been teaching you and how well you can demonstrate/teach those techniques to others.

I am actually planning to test for my Yellow belt here in the new couple of months, just to see if I can do it (goals are always important).

leam

quote unstpabl1:

Its hard because I have a natural tendency to want to help and teach, but I don’t see that happening in this system. To me thats what rank should be about. The ability to tranfer knowledge. Its also the point where you really absorb an art into your system as you learn more by teaching than you ever did as a student

Agreed. Testing makes you really put your stuff on the line. It’s not me thinking I have the technique down, it’s someone else who knows more than I do.

Leam

unstpabl1

quote leam:

Agreed. Testing makes you really put your stuff on the line. It’s not me thinking I have the technique down, it’s someone else who knows more than I do.

Leam

Glad to see you back. Testing is a way to pressure test a student.. In our society there are not that many rites of passage, that puts you under pressure to prove your value. Yet when we do it, we learn great things about ourselves. A lot of us stop putting ourselves in positions where we might fail after awhile, even fricken schools are doing it, in the name of self esteem. But we give ourselves esteem by successfully rasslin’ with challenges. You have confidence in your ability to defend your self after a krav test, because you had to fight your way thru it. Most schools its a gift of time put in

We need challenges or we deteriorate

Be Well

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: