Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Is Rank Important to You?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    jaspthecat

Re: Is Rank Important to You?

My instructor came up with some encouraging words tonight to people who had failed a recent grading.

‘Don’t worry so much about getting a badge on your trousers, remember that it’s what is in your head that counts and how that translates to the streets…’

True, true and true

leam

quote unstpabl1:

I read about the book years ago. I thyink i almost bought it, but got the impression that it talked about the subject but didn’t give a course of action on how to use it. Either that bor the author was too clinical. Is trhat a misrepresentation on my part? Curious because if its practical i’ll buy it today

It’s certainly not exciting reading, but not overly pedantic either. I’ve not gotten through the entire thing yet but I’ve picked up several ways to look at things and see how I can improve my lot in life. The caveat is, of course, that I do a lot of introspecting and could get a new perspective from a pencil eraser…

So yeah, I’d say I’m happy with the purchase. If you want, wait until I’m done and you can borrow my copy.

Leam

unstpabl1

Thanks leam. I went and looked at it. it wasn’t what i was looking for. I’m not big on theroy, like bracticality. how can I apply this is my mentality.

leam

quote unstpabl1:

Thanks leam. I went and looked at it. it wasn’t what i was looking for. I’m not big on theroy, like bracticality. how can I apply this is my mentality.

So far it’s been good for me, but as noted, I introspect a lot. I’ve taken the long list of things that occupy my time and used the flow requirements to whittle down the list. Since I’m forever trying to stuff more things into my day that was an immediate relief!

For the “is rank important to you” discussion; the concept of enjoyment tends to include some sort of feedback against concrete goals. I guess the desire for that feedback may be different depending on rank or time in grade.

Leam

kirk

ummm am I missing something? Where is CJ’s Dad’s post at? I read it once and I couldn’t agree more with him, Jeff and Kirston.

For me it I could care less about rank, about a certificate, about a belt (unless i need one to hold up my pants). For me it is all about growth and knowlege of the system. I am still learning little nuances about level 1 techniques.

I don’t train for status. I train to be better at protecting myself and others. I train to be a better instructor. I don’t go to Phase or test to gain any type of respect. I go to grow. I do it because I have a great responsibilty to the students that believe in us and what we do. I consider myself a failure if can not transfer the knowledge that i have gained in the system to others.

I would rather be a level 1 student for the rest of my life than rush to the next level and not learn anything. It means NOTHING! Rank means nothing if you can apply in stress what you have learned.

I think it’s a joke to see high or higher level students that can’t perform level 1 foundational techniques. That sit on their high and mighty horse and refuse to take a level 1 class just because they feel that they are beyond or above that level.

Sorry for the rant and if I have over steped my bounds oh well. I’ll ask for forgivness later.

kravone

Kirk – Well said!! I believe you articulated the essence of what most of us believe and expect from our instructors. You’re leading by example!

kirsten

Kirk… you been repped! 🙂

From what I’ve seen in the group I train with – the people who make it to more advanced levels tend to be, without exception actually, more focused on training and learning, with levels & exams being appreciated but not the main focus of their energies.. whereas certain newer & intermediate level students may be more focused on achieving the next level as their primary goal. Of course, in the beginners there’s also people who just want to train & have a good time with no apparent ‘rank’ ambitions..

Having said that, I think rank & level testing are important..again, so much comes down to the motivations, attitude & goals of the person – as well as the ethos in the school and influence of individual instructors.

On another note – I have noticed that people who have a background in kickboxing / Muay Thai tend to move fastest through the ranks in the beginner & intermediate levels, probably because many basic combatives are similar…

pdxvance42

I’m more concerned with capability than rank. I suppose rank implies capability, but inside, if I don’t feel that I’m more capable than I was before the change in rank, then it feels cheap and dishonest.

Years ago I studied a more traditional martial art for a couple of years, and although I was advancing in rank and learning new “moves”, I never felt that my competence to really defend myself was improving at the pace implied by my rank.

I’m about to take my Level One test on the 18th. I’m looking forward to the accomplishment of being fit enough to make it through the test and to prove to myself I have the determination and capability to make it much more than just the opportunity to advance in rank.

imike

Yep! But I’m a rather competitive person by nature.

Although it’s more important to me that I just keep on training 😀

kmman

With 4 to 6 hours tests, I think belt chasers would be better served in another system. Although, Im sure plenty of decent people do not agree with the lengthy tests in KM because instructors have 40 plus classes and workshop to determine if someone might advance but there’s certainly enough agreement here that the 4-6 hours is necessary.

KM extreme testing™ is not only a kind of rite of passage / additional learning experience but it also pushes the boundaries of what people might think are their personal limits in terms of endurance, stress, exhaustion, resilience – good to know what you are capable of withstanding…if the shizz hits maybe it will turn out to be ‘easier’ than the KM exam..

resqr1

A very wise and tough instructor once told me, “Belts only cover two inches of your ass. It’s up to you to cover the rest.”

We took tests of ability (no extra costs). No rank awarded. This gave us a sense of accomplishment, but NOBODY got the dreaded “I’m better than you because of this belt” syndrome. Not everybody falls victim to this syndrome but I have seen it and I’m sure others have too.

jrodf4

This is a great thread.

I have been doing some sort of MMA for about 23years and have always shy’d away from the belt system/levels. In my humble opinion I think they should teach you every move in the art/style with do time of course when the instructors feel you are ready by observing you in class.

For example: All the instructors that have worked with Joe Blow in the last couple of months get together and figure out if the subject is worthy to go to the next level.

The instructors pay attention to technique and how serious the person takes the classes.

BUT lets not lose focus here guys it is a business and they have to do what they have to do.

Anonymous

what does everyone think of commando kravmaga or ikmf ?

i have a few videos of it , let me know good or not .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNaVmyCcdTI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wnsnWnWHQM

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: