Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Is Rank Important to You?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • Author

Re: Is Rank Important to You?

quote francokrav:

what does everyone think of commando kravmaga or ikmf ?

CKM basic instructor training: 3 day seminar

IKMF basic instructor training: 180 hrs

unstpabl1

Yes some use belt testing as an ego stroke and finacially it helps alot. But the idea of testing is a way of pressure testing, even at its lowest level. Most are afraid to be judged in public. Standing up and performing in front of your peers and someone you respect is even harder for most. Thats why Ryan Seacrest has a career. He can stand up there and be himself or at least charming. He can perform LIVE under pressure. Testing and the advancement in rank in most systems is about Facing The Enemy and taking the responsibility for the rank. We forget that in our society, because we don’t get who the real enemy is. Its the Fear inside ourselves and our own ego.

Martial arts and even their current offshoots RBSD systems as I’ve said in other posts are an attempt to organize chaos. Chaos by its very nature cannot be organized, but we can learn to control ourselves. Something I’m still trying to figure out at 51:dunno:

Testing and rank requirements bring a “FOCUS” to the training and a opportunity to perform under the gun. A chance to step out front center stage and challenge yourself. This is something we’re not forced to do much, even in our school years anymore. Hell’ their not even keeping score in some kids sports now…another rant. Either way, its a rare thing in most adults lives. Yet the “WILL” and the ability to step out front and center stage is where the most lucrative successes come from

Ranking teaches us to demand a high standard for ourselves, to learn to compete again, which really diminishes for most after school,; to challenge ourselves; to meet the enemy( ourselves) and kick him in the balls and ultimitly to expose our weaknesses to ourselves, so that we may turn them into strengths.

This includes dealing with our egos and how we deal with people in lower ranks as well as higher. Look at you w/o partners, some are a pain in the ass and others we get so much from and good teachers get more from the teaching than students. Do we walk around with an over inflated ego after promotion? Treat subordinates like ****? Suck up to higher ups, just because. Close our minds and not willing to learn…..kinda sound like where you work?:OhMy: It should. Martial arts are applicable to how you live life or at least the stance you take to facing it. Why? Because, depending on your job, how many fights do you really get in? But you live and in a way fight for survival daily. Better yet, to live life successfully, you fight to be a better you on a daily basis. Most of us, if we’re honest gave up that battle a long time ago.

Rank is important becauses it teaches us how to take responsibilty. Some fail miseribly, while others grow. The student gets to learn by being exposed to the good, the bad and the ugly. Its a lesson they see first hand when their time comes.

The gym/dojang is a place of self growth, whether it be TKD or Krav, because it forces us to expose weaknesses and develope strength. Its a place that teaches us that we are responsible for our lives. Testing and rank is part of the crucible for forging a stronger you. So don’t dismiss the practice, see it as a real challenge that only the enlightened practioner gets

Be Well

mike

ncsam160

I don’t know if it’s considered “important” to me, as I really don’t care what color belt I have, or what rank I am, but challenging myself is important. Having a goal in mind and reaching it helps me maintain focus and train hard for it.

So I would say no in the fact that rank doesn’t matter, but yes as a training, motivation, and goal orientation. A training tool if you will.

jamesh-d30

Speaking of Rank, If anyone out there is ready to test for their Brown Belt (Level 4) in Krav Maga, we are holding an open review and test February 18th and 19th in Broomfield, CO. All those ready AND their Instructors are invited to attend free of charge from Colorado Krav Maga. All attending Instructors with the proper rank will sit on the scoring board for all testers!

quote jaspthecat:

Personally No

In my teens I studies TKD for years and achieved 3rd KUP (IIRC) which was a red belt (one before black). Since coming back to MA I’ve not been bothered about grading and going up the belts.

Reason being is that I’ve seen and heard of far too many black belts getting their arses handed to them in real life scenarios, plus I believe too much emphasis is put on passing the grading rather then developing an all round fighter.

I’ve now studied Kravs for about a year and also study Muay Thai and have not taken the opportunity to grade (in Muay Thai we don’t have a belt system).

Is rank and the belt system important to you and why?

although it is cool to be able to say something like I am a black belt really it doesnt mean a whole lot. last year I was doing TKD at my collage had just started there and I strated sparing. There was a Blue belt there which the belt progression was black brown blue. What they didnt know was I had already taken kickboxing and krate in the past. I compleatly owned this blue belt and he got really pissed off.

Belts and ranks dont mean a whole lot to me. The origans of martial arts had nothing to do with color belts. the deal was everyone was issued one belt that was white and they were never supose to wash it and only wear it when training so you could tell how skilled someone was by looking at how dirty their belt was. thats where the black belt comes from as some would train so much that their belts got so dirty they were black. Now belts are just used for marketing and money for belt tests. Now belts do hold some merit and most black belts are abosolutly phenomenal however I think that there should be a master and students that move to a differint class of students as their skills progress.

Anonymous

my wife and i made these to anti rape videos and would like some comments on them . take a look and let us know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o9YSVBvaug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXKvwDP1nQI

thanks for taking the time to watch

kmisgood

quote unstpabl1:

Testing to me always meant testing fees. You get to a point and all of a `sudden the instructor says test. Means he needs cash. In most systems ya ain’t gonna fail.

What is the price for level 1 ?

stuartf

The legend about unwashed belts isn’t true: http://glendoncaba.hubpages.com/hub/The-Legend-of-the-Unwashed-Black-Belt-in-Martial-Arts

brewmasher

quote stuartf:

I know black belts that have washed their belt 100 times the first month they got it in order to make it look like they have been wearing it for many years. Some have even went so far as to make tiny razor blade cuts along the edge to promote fraying. :dunno:

mdeaneuscg

Being in the military, and being in a military family all my life, a rank or grade in anything to me, is seen as a checkpoint. When you move around every 2-4 years, you have to start over with new relationships, new friends, a new work schedule, etc. It’s nice to know that I can take my KM certificate to the next place I train, and say “I don’t need to start over in this”. It isn’t about a higher level of respect, or an ego boost. Obviously I’d still need to prove that I’m still up to par, but at least it gets my foot in the door of the advanced classes.

kiddon

Is important to schools gain money !!!!!!! I made Karate ten years and I see some green belts better than brown belts, and I saw red belts better black belts !!! in Karate is just after first black belt you gonna learning Karate !!!! Krav Magá is not a sport, there are no rules, belts no mather for nothing , just for the pants, my opinion.

celtickm

Hi Kiddon, does this mean you dont go to gradings yourself and are there a lot of people in your class who dont grade?

In my club there are some Master classes and Elite classes that only allow cerain grades to attend so maybe that is a small motivation to get to the ‘P’ levels.

tzrider

It is somewhat important to me as a matter of personal accomplishment and measuring my performance against some kind of a standard. I do realize that belt level doesn’t guarantee a level of skill, but it is the gate to access higher levels and is a form of feedback on progress. I don’t have a better way to assess my own capability than testing and the tests have certainly brought a sense of discovery, just from the business of getting through them.

That said, our school doesn’t award physical belts and you can’t tell what a person’s rank is by looking at them. You can see how well an individual can execute a technique or defend himself in general, which may or may not correlate to belt level. Our higher ranking students do show more proficiency and economy of motion than lower ranking students, so there is at least some semblance of a correlation.

stuartf

My own rank is valuable to me as recognition/affirmation of what I’ve done, but I don’t expect anyone else to care and I don’t judge anyone else by their rank. I respect those who have achieved high ranks, but I also appreciate that krav allows us to question techniques and test their efficacy. I don’t tell other students my rank unless asked, but I think my school is good about only giving rank when it’s deserved, so it’s pretty obvious when someone isn’t a beginner.

kiddon

krav Magá have no rules, is an art of personnal defense, for this reazon I think belts are not appropriate, but is my oppinion and worst nothing, when people like, and train a lot, people envolve, get better, I have no doubt, but I respect who are with the system, no problem at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: