Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    andre
    kravron

Holy crap! Yep that would pretty much go how I would figure it would. The key with Knife attacks is recognizing the weapon. Then you add in the difficulty of defending against that threat.

johnwhitman

I couldn’t disagree more. The knife with a knife attack is NOT to recognize the weapon because the chances of recognizing the weapon are extremely slim. The key is to make general defenses that are effective against both knives and punches, and to add aggressiveness.

ryan

Well, John beat me to it. The key is to not be there of course, but after that, you must have defenses for knife attacks that mirror your punch defenses, because it is not likely that the knife will be recognized. Aggressive and hard counterattacks are essential.

andre

I agree, if you watched the clip, you see there is little time for reaction in terms of recognition of a blade.
    In addition, can someone take a guess how well trained a knife fighter the attacker was.

kurtuan

Andre, It’s hard to say if the attacker is trained with the use of a knife, but he definately is smart in the way he deploys it. The blade is almost impossible to spot (he conceals it in his hand) and he targets the underarm and lung area of his victim while trapping the same side arm. Also he definately doesn’t seem to have any qualms about using it (though he does stop after one stab) which may or may not mean that he’s done something similar in the past. Either way, I think this is a great example of why it’s so important to have defenses that address multiple threats, not to mention why it’s a bad idea to be in a \”grappling\” scenario in a hostile / potentially hostile crowd.

Kurt

andre

My point Kurt was that everyone always seems to be worried about \”experienced\” knife fighter. When the more realistic scenarios involve the untrained attacker.
    I doubt he had training, in reality, it looks more like he was looking for a clean shot. And you don’t need knife fighting experience to know how to stab a organ.

kurtuan

Andre, sorry I missed the sarcasm 😳

I understand your meaning now despite initially missing the \”point\”. 😆

andre

No problem, this an imperfect medium, so…

anonymous

Damn, can’t watch the video! 😥

Kurtuan mentioned that the attacker was grabbing the same side arm, pulled it out of the way/across (?), then stabbed the rib cage?

That’s interesting. Once he has hold of your arm like that, how could you block the knife? Sounds like it would be impossible to block, but one could still give strong counters to the opponent’s head, since both of his arms would be down, one holding your arm, the other holding the knife and stabbing you. Maybe strong eye gouges could work, even a knee to the groin, anything to make him let go, if he does, get out of there quickly, pick up a weapon if necessary, beat him with it, then run.

lawdog

As to tactics to defend against a determined person with a concealed knife, I’m not really sure… if someone is that serious about hurting you, you’ve got problems on a bigger scale than what knife defense to use. Thanks to good law enforcement, most of those mythical \”experienced knife fighters\” are locked up in Folsom, far away from me… Situational awareness is of course key here – if he gets a free shot, then it’s too late.

A former Army Ranger friend of mine with a few deployments scoffed at my desire to discuss details vis-a-vis empty-handed knife defense techniques – \”too fancy\”, he said. He was of the philosophy that defensive tactics against a knife wielder are only as good as far as they can be used to break contact and employ a weapon: pepper spray, your own knife or a firearm. You’re already going to be justified in using the lethal end of the force continuum if the guy is coming at you with a knife.

Maybe off-topic, but:
    See the Chan-Woo Park film \”Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance\” for a concise example of a misguided attempt to disarm a mentally-disturbed man wielding a box cutter. Well, the protagonist executes what looks like a textbook jujitsu wristlock on uke’s knife arm; the guy muscles out of it, aided by slippery blood already on his forearm, and Mr. Vengeance gets a nasty slice on his palm for his troubles. No fancy stuff, okay?

It’s good to be back, BTW. This board is home to the most mature (for the most part 😉 and pragmatic martial arts discussion on the web.

kurtuan

GK, the video is taken at a sporting event. It appears that several fans become involved in a scuffle. The victim is \”entangled\” with someone and sort of bent over. Doesn’t look like he’s ever in a possition to defend against the attack. In that particular situation, I don’t think it would be possible for anyone to defend against the attack.

anonymous

Did he survive?

clfmak

A few months back I was talking to my supervisor at my security job (event security, mostly concerts) and he was talking about a stabbing at a rap concert and the importance of searching people upon entry. Even still, with the method for searching people its really easy to conceal a weapon- you can’t very well thoroughly search everone trying to get in.

It was lucky that there was just one stab and not a constant barrage.

kurtuan

GK, don’t know for sure what the outcome was, but the victim was a pretty big guy, the knife was small, and he was only stabbed once. That being said, I’m sure many people have died from an attack fitting that exact description. In this case I don’t think the victim even knew he was stabbed, looked like he thought he just got punched.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: