Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

EVO,

Yes, the counter is the same. In fact, it’s the most important part. A strong counter might hurt him enough for you to either take the knife, continue attacking if necessary, or running if possible. Either way, your chances are much better if that counter lands, than if you do not hit him at all.

andre

Ryan wrote:\”Oh, and Andre doesn’t work for me, and I don’t work for John, so you even got those wrong.\”

What you said(facetiously):\”Sorry I thought Andre worked for you, but there was an Andre listed as a teacher on your website, using the same quote as this Andre does, so I guess I figured it may be the same guy…. \”

You seem to mistake training and teaching at a school, for being indentured servitude. I simply can’t understand how you almost always seem to exaggerate things 😡
    And as far as this thread goes, I’m done unless someone wants to bring up valid SP questions/staements.

ryan

If you don’t know what I said, or even where I said it, don’t quote me.

Andre is a student and teacher at my school, but he’s never paid me, and he’s never been paid. He’s been exposed to some of the best training in the world, and he has a mind of his own. I tell my students and instructors all the time, if they are the best one in their class, they need to find a new class. If they are the best one in the school, they need to find a new school. \”My\” instructors are sheepdogs.

EVO, if you can pick up something to use as a shield or weapon, do so. If you can hit hard and get away, do that. If you have to engage and stay, hard, aggressive counterattacks are typically the best answer.

clfmak

Often times in the self defense and martial arts field, there are techniques designed to defend against an attack done in a way that’s not very effective to start. For example, I’ve seen techniques against a rear naked choke that involve stripping off the hand into wrist locks or armbars, but this is assuming that the choke is being applied by someone who isn’t keying their hand to their other bicep, hand, shirt etc. The technique is designed to get out of a poorly applied technique. The same could be said for defenses against full nelsons, hammerlocks, punches, kicks, etc. For this reason, it is logical to examine how a skilled fighter would execute the technique, then devise a technique that will work against both attacks. This is why you should learn how to do all of the mock attacks in an effective way- if you are going to defend against a choke, learn how to apply a good one. If you are going to learn knife defense, know a thing or two about the angles and targets of attack for stabbing, cutting, thrusting and raking.
    So, it may appear that I am agreeing with Giantkiller, but Ryan is correct in approach. Training should be streamlined so that the defenses match with trained and untrained attacks. Using the above example, if the choke defense works against the untrained choke but not the trained one, the technique is poor. If it works against the trained choke, it will probably work against the untrained one as well- then its a good technique. Good technique should be streamlined to work with the \”what if\” scenarios. What if that punch was really a knife stab you didn’t notice? It doesn’t really matter- its the same block in either case, rather than a stonewall which works against the punch but not the knife.

anonymous

Well, I agree with all of that. I never claimed that I think the initial technique would change, just that on occasion the defense and counter may not completely stop the attacker and then a more complicated fight could ensue.

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: