Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga advertisement photos

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    ryan

She’s punching in the AIR! She’s not hitting anything, yet you’re assuming to know what and where her \”target\” is. She’s doing a promo shot for what looks, to me, like a KM fitness class. To say she punches \”wrong\”, based solely on this, demonstrates a major lack of understanding.

ryan

You know, maybe it’s my southern hospitality, but I feel the need to invite you guys down to train with a couple of \”chicks\” who punch \”wrong\”.

Let me know how wrong that overhand right feels, boys.

djinsd

Re:

quote :

I agree with saying that she punches wrong. Since I come from a Traditional Karate background and was taught to punch with the first two knuckles. And now train Krav and have learned that if you punch with only the first two knuckels it puts your wrist in an awkward position. If you straighten the wrist to align correctly and be a straight line you actually punch more with the last two knuckles. With that being said, I still use my first two, cuz after 10 years of karate, old habits are hard to break.. 😯

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Did I miss the part of training that had us punching with the last two knuckles? When we do punching, we primarily aim to strike with middle knuckle, which by default usually involves the index knuckle. I’ve NEVER trained in any system that advocated striking with the ring and pinky knuckles. It is possible that in my 4 1/2 years of teaching Krav that I’ve been doing and teaching it wrong, but that’s also the way I was taught in boxing, kickboxing and Muay Thai.

DJ (extending his arm to check the alignment of radius, ulna and knuckles)

sexybaldman

Re:

quote \”djinsd\:

quote :

I agree with saying that she punches wrong. Since I come from a Traditional Karate background and was taught to punch with the first two knuckles. And now train Krav and have learned that if you punch with only the first two knuckels it puts your wrist in an awkward position. If you straighten the wrist to align correctly and be a straight line you actually punch more with the last two knuckles. With that being said, I still use my first two, cuz after 10 years of karate, old habits are hard to break.. 😯

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Did I miss the part of training that had us punching with the last two knuckles? When we do punching, we primarily aim to strike with middle knuckle, which by default usually involves the index knuckle. I’ve NEVER trained in any system that advocated striking with the ring and pinky knuckles. It is possible that in my 4 1/2 years of teaching Krav that I’ve been doing and teaching it wrong, but that’s also the way I was taught in boxing, kickboxing and Muay Thai.

DJ (extending his arm to check the alignment of radius, ulna and knuckles)

I was taught, as a karate-ka to use the first two knuckles. Even my Krav instructor has us use the first two. But I have been in this debate with many people and the natural alignment of the wrist is when the last two, or from the middle to the pinky knuckle is used.

ryan

Damn!?

No one said punch with the last two knuckles. Where/when did that happen? I don’t know why I bother. Read my post again–there’s no target, no contact. You can’t presume to know that she punches \”wrong\” based solely on this photo.

Do an overhand right, in the air, and have someone take a photo of it. How does it look? Maybe she’s a boxer. Boxers have \”clubs\” attached to their hands when they fight–they aren’t overly concerned with which knuckles to use. Would I use this photo for a promo? No, and I don’t, but this hyperanalysis of it is ridiculous.

kravmdjeff

Ryan, you’re criticizing someone for hyperanalysis? Pot, my name is kettle. Nice to meet you.

I didn’t mean to get everyone attacking the picture. It was just a pet peeve. And she still punches wrong. I didn’t know that a cardio-bag fitness class had a different punching technique than any other KM class.

Giantkiller, I’ll send you a pic of my wife, and then you’ll realize why I have special license to make comments like that.

ryan

Whatever, man, the offer still stands…chicks who punch wrong vs. some punching expert from Maryland.

Of course, you are the one who offered up this classic gem:

\”Hip throws seem common in zombie movies too…strangely enough a difficult move to do quickly and doesn’t really hurt your attacker.\”

kravmdjeff

Check on that and get back to me…I guarantee you Michelle Rodriguez does at least 5-6 hip throws in Resident Evil.

In fact, the only zombie movie I haven’t seen copious hip throws was \”28 Days Later\”

Sometime I’ll tell you about my Matrix-esque dream sequence where I was an expert at throwing steak knives from Outback Steakhouse…at the AMC theater

kravmdjeff

Oh, and sometime ask Brent about Spiderman’s inability to recoil.

clfmak
    quote :

I agree with saying that she punches wrong. Since I come from a Traditional Karate background and was taught to punch with the first two knuckles. And now train Krav and have learned that if you punch with only the first two knuckels it puts your wrist in an awkward position. If you straighten the wrist to align correctly and be a straight line you actually punch more with the last two knuckles. With that being said, I still use my first two, cuz after 10 years of karate, old habits are hard to break..

It puts your wrist in an awkward position if you don’t align it correctly. It is possible to align your wrist to hit with the first two, and its possible to align it so it hits with the last three (wing chun). I don’t understand how you could have done 10 years of karate without figuring this out. What style of karate? Most authentic karate (goju, kyokushin, shotokan, shito ryu) would have you hitting a variety of targets (makiwara, maybe sand bags, training partners) and maybe breaking various materials. Sand Bags and makiwara teach you to align the bones correctly. Ten years?

\”Hip throws seem common in zombie movies too…strangely enough a difficult move to do quickly and doesn’t really hurt your attacker.\”
    A good hip throw allows you to \”aim\” which part goes towards the ground. A good hip throw can dump someone headfirst into the ground or onto the back of their head so the head rolls over and all of the bodyweight is dumped into the spine, compressing it forward or backwards. Or onto curbs, stairs, or rails That seems pretty effective.
    Especially when you consider that you can only kill a zombie with trauma to the head or neck. 👿

anonymous

Since this was a professional photo shoot, I think it’s possible that she wasn’t even actively punching. She may have just put her arm out there, and then held it still and made a serious face for the camera. She probably wasn’t very concerned with the accuracy of her punch, but rather with the overall toughness of her facial expression.

sexybaldman

Re:

quote \”CLFMak\:

quote :

I agree with saying that she punches wrong. Since I come from a Traditional Karate background and was taught to punch with the first two knuckles. And now train Krav and have learned that if you punch with only the first two knuckels it puts your wrist in an awkward position. If you straighten the wrist to align correctly and be a straight line you actually punch more with the last two knuckles. With that being said, I still use my first two, cuz after 10 years of karate, old habits are hard to break..

It puts your wrist in an awkward position if you don’t align it correctly. It is possible to align your wrist to hit with the first two, and its possible to align it so it hits with the last three (wing chun). I don’t understand how you could have done 10 years of karate without figuring this out. What style of karate? Most authentic karate (goju, kyokushin, shotokan, shito ryu) would have you hitting a variety of targets (makiwara, maybe sand bags, training partners) and maybe breaking various materials. Sand Bags and makiwara teach you to align the bones correctly. Ten years?

A good hip throw allows you to \”aim\” which part goes towards the ground. A good hip throw can dump someone headfirst into the ground or onto the back of their head so the head rolls over and all of the bodyweight is dumped into the spine, compressing it forward or backwards. Or onto curbs, stairs, or rails That seems pretty effective.
    Especially when you consider that you can only kill a zombie with trauma to the head or neck. 👿

Well, with trying not be mean, and tell you to take a hike. Yes, ten years. Karate, at leat most teach to use the first two knuckles to strick with. Just cuz you were taught one way, don’t talk down to the way others were trained. I never said the way I was taught was right, just that I was taught that way. It is all about learning. And maybe you should learn to be more respectful and not talk out your Arse……

And another thing, MA, combat systems, whatever is a life long process of learning, so don’t be quick to judge someone. What might take someone ten years might take another 15, or 2.

anonymous

Wow, this thread has disitnigrated to ad hominem attacks, and all without my help! (so let me jump in) 😆 From my perspective this isnt about a nice lady posing for a picture anymore, but has become all about some narcissistic ego-maniacs trying to prove they know more about MA’s then everyone else. The saddest part is some of the worst offenders are instructors and school owners 😳 Who cares about her punch? L 😯 K at those abs! Whoo Hoo!
    I agree with you Giant Killer, you made an excellent observation, It probably is a posed photo.
    Now lets see all you know-it-alls defuse and deescalate, like I’ve heard we are supposed to in a confrontation 😉

ryan

I still don’t get the obsession over the photo and the \”pose\”. It’s a promo photo–big deal. It’s not meant to teach someone how to punch.

MOST systems I’ve seen encourage striking with the first two knuckles.

g-v

You’re all a bunch of pussies. I strike with my pinkie finger.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: