Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Level 2 in L.A and hating it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    tank-sinatra

I’m in a bind. I started taking level 2 classes recently and the presumption on the part of the instructors is that I’ve been there for a while. Unlike the level 1 classes I’ve taken, the instructor does not ask if anyone is there for the first time. They’re working hooks and uppercuts and every time I tell the instructors that I’m new to level 2 and have not been instructed on proper technique, the says \”Oh, just stick with straight punches for now.\” That was 6 classes ago. Hello!!?? I don’t need to be coddled but am I going to learn or not? I’ve brought it up more than once with the same answer. No offense but I don’t like being in the position of having to pester someone that could kill me in 5 seconds on how to teach but I’m pissed! Anyone else have growing ains when moving up?

sean-akrav

Our teachers are pretty good about that stuff. If you don’t know something they will teach you, and they will go as far as to teach you even *AFTER* the class is finished.

But I’m not in level 2 yet. Hopefully I will be after tomorrow though!

tank-sinatra

Re:

quote \”Sean_AKrav\:

Our teachers are pretty good about that stuff. If you don’t know something they will teach you, and they will go as far as to teach you even *AFTER* the class is finished.

If you are implying that you are taking your test tomorrow:

1) Why are you still AWAKE!! Go to bed immediately.

2) Bring one or two extra t-shirts and your own water or gatorade because you are going to be a sweaty pig.

Good luck.

beachbum

Tank,

I’m still level 1 but I’ve watched several of the L2 classes in the past week (class schedule and traffic pattern makes it better for me to double-up on L1’s, L2 class between them but I digress).

From observing it, you’re right, there is a certain level of competency assumed that isn’t in the L1 classes; however, much like the level 1 classes, in no way shape form or fashion is everyone on the same level there. Additionally the instructors I’ve seen and worked with will still respond to questions during and after class… the ones who teach L1 do L2 courses as well. Absolute worst case, waiting for the class, you could ask one of the junior instructors in training (my assumption of the students who assist with the L1 classes) who are nearly universally helpful to demonstrate something you’re having difficulty with.

Just approach it the same way you did starting in L1… it took me substantially more than a single session with a skill to even become remotely functional in any of the techniques (and I’ve a helluva long way to go before I get good at any of them). Go slow, try the techniques, watch other students, shadow it in the mirrow, ask your partner to watch your form, ask the instructor for assistance or demonstrations. As long as you’re courteous and wanting to learn, nobody’s going to kick your teeth in for not knowing how to do something and asking questions regarding it.

Anyone who tries anything new is going to go through the stage of not knowing what to do and being fustrated with it for some amount of time… it’s normal, reasonable, and even expected. It’s a temporary problem, stick with it, be positive, work hard, and you’ll get it.

Beach

bradm

\”They’re working hooks and uppercuts and every time I tell the instructors that I’m new to level 2 and have not been instructed on proper technique, \”

I was taught hooks and upper cuts in level-1. I thought it was part of the curriculum in all schools. We reviewed and reformed them in level-2.

brentw

Tank,
    The point of level 2 is that you learn these things. How in depth depends on where in the cirriculum the class is but at the bare minimum a quick review of the key points. We should always take the time out on the side of class to help a student who isn’t up to speed.

Please find me or Kelly and talk to us.

Brent Wilkening

kravmdjeff

Just a suggestion. Take down the intensity of your punches and just give it a try. Most people don’t realize how much they’ve learned just by playing around with a technique and trying it.

As an instructor I’ve found that many level 2 students forgot just how much they learned in Level 1 by trial and error, and how difficult it was the first time they did it.

johnwhitman

This is happening in Los Angeles???

Not for much longer. Email me at [email protected]. Tell me which class(es) you are taking. I’ll make sure it never happens again.

Your name will not be mentioned at all, but that sort of teaching is unacceptable and I’ll make sure it stops immediately.

tank-sinatra

Re:

quote \”johnwhitman\:

This is happening in Los Angeles???

Not for much longer. Email me at [email protected]. Tell me which class(es) you are taking. I’ll make sure it never happens again.

Your name will not be mentioned at all, but that sort of teaching is unacceptable and I’ll make sure it stops immediately.

Done.

anonymous

Hey, wow, great answer!! 😉

Tank,

Just some general points: Have you tried different LV2 classes? Some teachers may be more experienced overall than others. I think there is a LV2 taught by Michael Margolin on Mondays 5:45pm, he’s been doing KM for over twenty years (started as a kid) and he may be the most experienced person teaching LV2. He also teaches a LV1 after that. Kelly is also very good or Dave Famili (on Sundays).

When I moved up to level 2 (many years ago) we really broke down all of the exercises, including the combatives (new punches, kicks, defenses). We would often do the exercise in the mirror, slowly, so people could watch and imitate the teacher, then later try it stronger, to the focus mitt or pad. There would be analogies to aid students in understanding a certain movement or punch (hook punch being like stirring a pot for example). The teacher would always come around and correct, giving special attention to new students. Sometimes the punches would also be reviewed as part of the warm-up (during shadow boxing or so).

Since hook and upper cut punches are a new skill in LV2, I do believe it makes sense to focus some special attention on them and make sure the technique is done correctly. It may seem easy to people who have been there for a while, but for a new student, it may appear to be a strange, unnatural movement at first and, as with everything else, it takes practice.

I hope all will be resolved for you!

tank-sinatra

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Hey, wow, great answer!! 😉

Tank,

Just some general points: Have you tried different LV2 classes? Some teachers may be more experienced overall than others. I think there is a LV2 taught by Michael Margolin on Mondays 5:45pm, he’s been doing KM for over twenty years (started as a kid) and he may be the most experienced person teaching LV2. He also teaches a LV1 after that. Kelly is also very good or Dave Famili (on Sundays).

When I moved up to level 2 (many years ago) we really broke down all of the exercises, including the combatives (new punches, kicks, defenses). We would often do the exercise in the mirror, slowly, so people could watch and imitate the teacher, then later try it stronger, to the focus mitt or pad. There would be analogies to aid students in understanding a certain movement or punch (hook punch being like stirring a pot for example). The teacher would always come around and correct, giving special attention to new students. Sometimes the punches would also be reviewed as part of the warm-up (during shadow boxing or so).

Since hook and upper cut punches are a new skill in LV2, I do believe it makes sense to focus some special attention on them and make sure the technique is done correctly. It may seem easy to people who have been there for a while, but for a new student, it may appear to be a strange, unnatural movement at first and, as with everything else, it takes practice.

I hope all will be resolved for you!

They don’t get much better than Michael as far as instructors go. I may need to move my work schedule around to make that class but I think it is plausible.

anonymous

I think it would definitely be worth it. And you could take the LV1 after that and review some material there as well.

jasonm

Re:

quote \”Sean_AKrav\:

Sean, you are about to test into LEvel 2? Dang, that was quick. I guess it worked out great for you since you moved to the MD school. 🙂 How many months have you been doing krav? That is still pretty fast. Great job!

anonymous

Maybe it’s because the MD school is bigger and has more tests? It shouldn’t take too long to reach LV2. At the NTC it’s 3-4 months I think, if you come regularly (twice a week or more). What school do you go to now, Jason? Maybe you should give MD a try.

sean-akrav

I have been taking Krav since July 10. I will be VERY happy to take level 2 classes if I passed. I took the classes offered at bowie for a while and then moved down to VA during the break between bowie classes.

I am also looking forward to fight night.

It didn’t seem too quick to me really.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: