Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Level 2 in L.A and hating it.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    greenbeanie

Re:

[Psyops]
    \”Too much talk about testing. What does it mean? Ok there must be standards for any system to regulate instructors and students. There is no finer mechanism than testing. But that is the only purpose it serves. It is not a designation of any type of superiority or exceptional skills.\”

I am in full agreement with you. John Whitman wrote very succinctly, \”To advance you have to test. The tests are designed to push you and test your limits as well as your technique.\” With that being written, I do not see any reason to confuse this criteria for advancement with a knock down drag out fight.

bradm

Personally I’m pro testing. I believe it to be an important part of goal setting. You set your short term goals, as a level-1 student, to reach level-2. (Level-2 to level-3 and so on.) When you complete and pass that level-1 test, to me anyway, it instills a sense of pride and accomplishment and yes, maybe relief knowing that you proved you are ready for the next level.

On the other hand, if an instructor feels a level-1 student is ready for level-2 but no level-2 tests are scheduled for some time, then let the student attend some level-2 classes. But, still require him/her to test the next time the test is offered.

As far as advanced students attending lower level classes, I’m all for that too. It’s always good to get a good review of lover level material. At the first Krav school I went to, level-1 and level-2 classes were offered back to back. Many of us used to take both classes occasionally. Some times (many times) it was a killer too 😕

unstpabl1

I was training at a friend of mines dojo in the valley.He’s a great instructor and a great guy.The students drove me nuts.All i ever heard is okay know that move,show me another.I’m getting bored show me something else.I’m ready to move on 👿 How many techniques does a boxer or a thai boxer learn?not many but they take a lifetime to perfect them.They make them usable under fire.On this board,i hear whining about the quality of instruction one week then my instructor didn’t pass muster the next.it must be politics…aarrggghh….the wonderful world of martial arts…..I’ve only met/talked with a few krav instructors and all in L.A.,so far I haven’t met an idiot yet 🙄 They’ve had the intelligence,skills and fitness to instruct.The cool thing is they had to earn it.remember the traditions of your system come from the military.Reward is earned.It seems NTC is trying to hold a standard and by doing so some people may actually fail a test.Oh my God…in my best chandler bing voice……cool…besides we learn from failure,make corrections and do better the next time or we whine and quit proving that we didn’t have what it takes to begin with…..sounds cruel or inflamitory I know,but when we are alone in our thoughts we know its true.As to students in limbo,the thing this proves is that krav is trying its best to guarantee you the quality of the instruction.The testing of students is one of the best things about krav ,because they make you earn itand push you way beyond your comfort zone.that lesson is more valuable than anything else you may learn in the system.Just for those who think i’m pushing an agenda,i’ll remind you i don’t train in krav and live in sherman oaks.
    mike

anonymous

Beach,

it was a quick lead-in to a sentence written under heavy medication and a good amount of pain. I already stated that I don’t know any of the people involved and wasn’t trying to imply anything. I hope I can one day be forgiven. If the person in question wasn’t good enough, then I agree he should not have been passed.

kravjeff

Re:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

How many techniques does a boxer or a thai boxer learn?not many but they take a lifetime to perfect them.They make them usable under fire.On this board,i hear whining about the quality of instruction one week then my instructor didn’t pass muster the next.it must be politics…aarrggghh….the wonderful world of martial arts…..I’ve only met/talked with a few krav instructors and all in L.A.,so far I haven’t met an idiot yet 🙄 They’ve had the intelligence,skills and fitness to instruct.The cool thing is they had to earn it.remember the traditions of your system come from the military.Reward is earned.It seems NTC is trying to hold a standard and by doing so some people may actually fail a test.Oh my God…in my best chandler bing voice……cool…besides we learn from failure,make corrections and do better the next time or we whine and quit proving that we didn’t have what it takes to begin with…..sounds cruel or inflamitory I know,but when we are alone in our thoughts we know its true.As to students in limbo,the thing this proves is that krav is trying its best to guarantee you the quality of the instruction.The testing of students is one of the best things about krav ,because they make you earn itand push you way beyond your comfort zone.that lesson is more valuable than anything else you may learn in the system.Just for those who think i’m pushing an agenda,i’ll remind you i don’t train in krav and live in sherman oaks.
    mike

_______________________________________-

Amen to that brother !!! Couldn’t agree more.

tank-sinatra

Re:

quote \”JL\:

Tank,
    I hope John Whitman can fix this for you. ALL instructors should be up to speed on the curriculum and how to bring new students at that level along so they are not missing any techniques applications or anything else for that matter.

We have been waiting for several months to test for L2. Some of these people have been in Krav for 4 YEARS!!!! Then we find out that our instructor failed L3 Instructor Course so here we sit, at the ready, but with NO new curriculum to learn. When we asked why he thinks he failed, he said that the NTC has not told him why just that he will have to take another week off work and go to LA and spend his time trying to pass something he has no idea of why he failed in the first place.So as we see others in the KM community move up level after level, it gets really frustrating when you know you can’t move up until there is an instructor that can teach it. I mean come on, there should be more uniformity on the time spent on these Levels. The disparity between schools is quite vast and also very bothersome to the growth of KM in this area.

Well, John was as good as his word and as a result I was absolutely ecstatic when my instructors did a class dedicated to proper hook and uppercut technique. I really feel that at least I know the right way to do them and have a starting point from which to work towards mastering them. I am not one of those guys that is just interested in the next technique, the next belt etcetera. I still attend Level 1 classes as I feel you can never have enough practice when it comes to the meat and potatoes. Hooks and uppercuts were the next logical techniques to learn and I am glad that I pushed to have them taught. It’s in my hands now.

jl

I’m glad John came through for you.

Now Tank it’s up to you….get it done!

kadima

I cant believe that hooks and uppercuts are saved for level 3

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”Kadima\:

I cant believe that hooks and uppercuts are saved for level 3

Their talking level 2,i think.Though I thought it odd at that level as well,but according to the curicullum sheets i have downloaded its a level 2 requirement.I could swear i saw them (hooks Etc)utilised in the level 1 class i watched a while back,but i could be wrong.cheers

kravmdjeff

unst, that is correct. The thread was started by a student who is new to Level 2 classes.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: