Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books New Book – First Impressions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy this evening. So I thought Iíd take a minute to post my first impressions.

Honestly itís not what I thought it was going to be. My initial response was it was probably like so many other books out on the market, they talk a lot explain a few different techniques with a few pictures tossed in.

Because of that Iíve never put much faith in MA books or even most DVDís for that matter most had poor production value and seems disorganized. You watch or read them a few times and they end up on the shelf.

While I was on the injured list for the last few months Iíve been haunting the center jotting down notes on every class everything from level 1 to the advanced BB 2 Darren teaches. My journals become what we around the center call ìKrav Maga for Dummiesî itís always open Iím always scribbling.

Darren has even commented that Iím one of the most anal retentive students he has because I always want to know the details of each technique. And the senior staff will be quick to comment I ask more questions then anyone, Darren calls me ìthe spongeî I must sound like my 2 year old CJ ìwhyî ìwhyî whyî

I share all of this as a qualifier for what Iím about to say next.

The book is nothing like what I expected.

Its MUCH MUCH better!

The chapters are broken down by level/color and each technique for that level is broken down step by step with pictures for each step and a description of the movement.

The detail, although not as colorful as I might have wrote in my journal, reads as if I was writing notes to myself. Its extremely easy to understand and thereís even variations and a type of ìhintsî

I can literally look at the student handbook for whatís required at that level on the next test and its ALL in there broken down for me, easy to understand. The chapters are the levels!

The sad part is Krav Maga for Dummies is now obsolete I took it and put it on the shelf with the rest of my old journals from other styles and the books and videos I never read.

Damn you John all the work I put into my notes all wasted now!

If youíre a beginner or advanced student all the material is in there up to Brown, if youíre a student then I donít see any reason not to make this book something you carry with you in your Krav bag at all times.

Itís that good.

Final Thought

I know theres a few jaws dropping right now. No one expected me to write a glowing review of the book. Especially when so many people know the work I put into my journal. No ones put me up to the review like I said this is my first impression others may disagree but I have yet to find anything lacking about it. The only thing I could see being wrong with it is someone not knowing how to use it or not wanting to invest the time to learn from it like the tool its intended to be.

Its the last book on Krav anyone will need. That is until someone writes a book on force training.

Sean

giant-killer

I didn’t buy it yet, I suppose I’m a bit cheap and am waiting for it to get to Borders, where I’d save about 5 bucks. 🙂

That said, I saw it at the NTC yesterday and spend some time leafing through it. I didn’t get to do much reading yet, but one thing that bothered me just a little bit was the fact that most of the pictures were so small, making it hard to see details sometimes, especially for weapons defenses. Sometimes, the attacker/defender was wearing a shirt that had a color similar to the weapon he was holding/defending against and so one could not clearly see the weapon in the picture. There are also some pictures in which John’s head is a dark brown, but the arms are white (page 146, 154 and others). Probably a shadow of some kind, but a little odd for a professionally taken picture.

But I suppose those are minor things and I’m just being a bit nitpicky. Again, I haven’t been able to really read through it yet.

dkatman

Thanks for the initial reviews.

Sean, I think you should continue your Journal. You have been going strong with it. It has kept you \”in\” the game. And there is a stronger correlation to writing and remembering than there is to reading and remembering.

I think I will be picking this up soon.

Dave

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I am I’m just writing in the book margins 🙂

I’m the king of variation finishs LOL

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”CJs Dad\:

I am I’m just writing in the book margins 🙂

I’m the king of variation finishs LOL

Thats that Kenpo background all those damn extensions 😉

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

This is where Garddawg steps in says its called ìgraftingî

One of the first things I really fell in love with about KM is the initial techniques are simple and economy of motion they use.

You block/counter end ìofficialî technique and then they just say Ok use combativeís.

In other words.. game on!

So many guys make comments like ìwhat the hell was that?î

Hmm raining hammers then I dropped all my weight with a #7 to the back of his neck LOL

unstpabl1

As long as you don’t start sounding like all those Kenpo Professors \” Ah you know its Marriage Of gravity grafting to cancel out Height and width

I forgot the smoker tonite at the gym. Bummer been a while.

unstpabl1

Well, I purused thru the New Book today at my local bookstore. HHmmm, Where to begin. I guess with the fact that I didn’t buy it would be a good place to start. Or pointing out that I’m not shy about speaking my mind. Not being a member of KMAA, Krav, etc, I have no need of sucking up to John and could pretty much care less about being banned. With that in mind Here is my review.

I personally feel its the best book on Martial Arts I’ve seen. Period. The explanitions are really good. I don’t take the system and found the descriptions understandable. I really feel I could take the book and a dumb friend and learn the material. I found the pictures were good as well. I didn’t get to spend a ton of time with it, but was very impressed. If I thought the book was shit, I would have posted that as well. This book is absolutelt a must own. If you take krav its a great resource for your notes and I can understand why Sean wants to chuck his notes

Excellent Job

I may end up doing Kenpo next door to you guys due to finances, but this book will be on my shelf next week. My borders coupon is good starting thursday

Good Luck with it
    Mike

giant-killer

Have you tried this link?

http://www.visitborders.com/

There is a 20% off coupon that is good already. Less waiting time. But don’t you go and buy my copy!! 😈 I can see it now, we’ll both be in the store, fighting over who gets to buy the last book that they have! I’ll win, of course, due to my superior Krav skills… 8)

unstpabl1

I knew there had to be areason I liked you. Just never knew what it was before. You won’t beat me getting the book. There were 2 copies At the Sherman Oaks Borders…..I’m on my way now 😆 Literally, thats how much I liked the book

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I’m your Huckleberry..

I called ahead and had them set both copies aside for me. sorry you loose.

GK see you this afternoon and ill give you your copy.

OK OK I kid the Krav Newbie

mara-jade

Dang, now y’all got me drooling 😛 ..I wish that book was here already. I do take notes too and my problem has been at times I’m missing that one piece of visual aid that helps me remember the move.

Just FYI – that visitborders link changes on what kind of offer you get (25%, 10%, etc) but you can always reprint the coupon..good 7 days from when you print it 🙂

giant-killer

Damn, and I was starting to get all excited. 😥 Sherman Oaks store is okay. Won’t make it to that one anyway. Two copies? Not exactly much. Better start running to the other stores on my list. Thought I could wait ’til Wednesday, but now I’m not sure. I really, really want it. Damn, I still can’t get over being late for that crab contest… 😥

By the way, unstpabl, I’m grateful for the love, but the biggest hug has to go to mara jade, who first came up with the link…

giant-killer

Ah, there she is right away, claiming the glory that should rightfully be hers! 🙂

So, how often does the link change? Once per day? When I checked in before, it was always 20%. I have a 20% coupon now. What’s the highest it has ever been? I guess 20% is as good as it gets.

unstpabl1

Sean, I laugh at your challenge 😛 While I was typing that post, I was on the phone putting it on hold. You don’t think I m dumb enough to trust all you KMSO snakes and GK

Mara Jade, I owe you a big old sweaty fat guy hug 😯 Just kidding thank you 😉

Did I mention I really like this book. I’m posting it on a few other forums to help promote it. I got 2 guys who ordered it today so far.

You don’t think John would put me on commission, do you? 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: