Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Question: Telling people about your training

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    maddogmean

Thursday I attended a leadership seminar for my job. I was in a banquet-meeting hall with about 80 people from various different businesses. Each person had to stand up and tell the room their name, business/position, and a unique talent/skill (non-business related).

I told the room that my talent/skill (it was really an interest more than a skill) was that I was a technology/gadget freak. Anyway…

This girl I work with (who knows about my training) asked why I didn’t tell everyone I studied Krav Maga. She said “I think people would have found it interesting.” I really didn’t have a straight forward answer. Honestly I didn’t want to sound like I thought I was a badass. I seem to only talk about it with people I train with and close friends.

Anyone else had a similar experience and how did you handle it?

mara-jade

Re: Question: Telling people about your training

“Honestly I didn’t want to sound like I thought I was a badass. I seem to only talk about it with people I train with and close friends”

I DEFINITELY understand where you’re coming from. My work knows about it, my family, people I train with and close friends. Some don’t quite understand why at first but then they see how psyched I get talking about it.

It’s like you’ve got your own little secret switch and you don’t want EVERYONE to know. I think it takes away any element of surprise you may have.

vinman

very few people know what I do (most of the people I work with dont know), and i plan on keeping it that way…..

kmman

I dont advertise it but it comes up often when the topic of fitness comes up. Usually when people ask about working out or gyms I will tell them I train. I downplay it and use the fitness angle mostly.

The tough part is explaining KRAV MAGA versus simply saying “martial arts” or “karate”. Thats when I just wish I took JUDOthumbsup

I certainly don’t advertise it, but I don’t shy away from it either. Whenever the topic comes up, most people are fascinated and I usually have to spend a little time explaining that we’re not all steely eyed ministers of death (well except for Sean). When I tell them that my 50ish mom recently started training and is in the best shape of her life now, it usually puts it in perspective. I’ve never had a negative experience stemming from a strangers knowledge that I train Krav. It seems a little silly to me to avoid it, that would be like trying to cover up my USMC tattoo. I’m proud of our system and I want it to spread.

sticman

pretty much everybody at my work knows about it, because they ask what in the hell happened to my arms after we do 360 defense drills. i think i might just bruise easily 🙂

all my friends know, because i have to tell them why i don’t hang out on tuesday, wednesday, and thursday anymore. and why i don’t drink on friday, since i have to wake up early on saturday.

mara-jade

quote sticman:

pretty much everybody at my work knows about it, because they ask what in the hell happened to my arms after we do 360 defense drills. i think i might just bruise easily 🙂

all my friends know, because i have to tell them why i don’t hang out on tuesday, wednesday, and thursday anymore. and why i don’t drink on friday, since i have to wake up early on saturday.

Yeah, that’s how it is for me at work too. At first they were horrified – but then seeing how happy I was about it, well who knows what they think of me now:D:

unstpabl1

quote Jeremy Stafford:

I certainly don’t advertise it, but I don’t shy away from it either. Whenever the topic comes up, most people are fascinated and I usually have to spend a little time explaining that we’re not all steely eyed ministers of death (well except for Sean). When I tell them that my 50ish mom recently started training and is in the best shape of her life now, it usually puts it in perspective. I’ve never had a negative experience stemming from a strangers knowledge that I train Krav. It seems a little silly to me to avoid it, that would be like trying to cover up my USMC tattoo. I’m proud of our system and I want it to spread.

Thats part of your gig. You own a school. Either you promote it or the doors get locked up:dunno: and of course the best word of mouth is your students chatting it up

there was a thread a while back similar about wearing your krav stuff in public. i took a couple love taps overthumbsup

I’m against it. Its caused more problems than its worth.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Jeremy Stafford:

we’re not all steely eyed ministers of death (well except for Sean).

Now that was funny

Shhhh your going to blow my computer geek image

quote unstpabl1:

Thats part of your gig. You own a school. Either you promote it or the doors get locked up:dunno: and of course the best word of mouth is your students chatting it up

there was a thread a while back similar about wearing your krav stuff in public. i took a couple love taps overthumbsup

I’m against it. Its caused more problems than its worth.

Well, We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I have found that it’s not what one wears, it’s how one wears it. But everybody’s experience is different.

giant-killer

I suppose it’s all about whom you trust. I wouldn’t want everyone to know, just in case of a case (as the Germans say), but I love the system and would tell those people I believe could benefit from training and who clearly don’t pose any potential threat.

maddogmean

Thanks for the responses. I think many people would find it an interesting and unique skill at a very corporate meeting. But I didn’t feel comfortable standing in front of 80 people and telling them about my training.

miriam

quote MadDogMean:

Thanks for the responses. I think many people would find it an interesting and unique skill at a very corporate meeting. But I didn’t feel comfortable standing in front of 80 people and telling them about my training.

MDM: I am a female litigator in a very male-dominated area of practice. I have found that letting it “slip” to counsel that I train and instruct in KM (of course, while failing to disclose that up until a few weeks ago, I instructed only KM Fitness and I am just now beginning to Assist in L1 classes), seems to carry some helpful ‘weight’ in my practice, in that for some reason guys just tend to take me a little more seriously. :dunno: That’s not to say that in any way shape or form, I imply that if they don’t “play my way” I’ll kick their a$$ – although I have to admit, I’ve secretly been tempted on a few occasions! rofl2

In addition, letting my co-workers know what I do has not only earned me just a tad more respect (I suppose the partners I work for see it as another facet of being disciplined and committed to something), but it’s also earned me the nickname “Bruiser”. :OhMy:

unstpabl1

quote Jeremy Stafford:

Well, We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I have found that it’s not what one wears, it’s how one wears it. But everybody’s experience is different.

:OhMy: What. Your disagreeing with me. How many times I got to tell you I’m always right.. Oh well the intellegent ones always agree with merofl2

Just teasingthumbsup

I’m sure you understand my con arguements as i understand your pro. To tired and lazy to get in the discussion. it was unfruitful the last time;): Besides its a better discussion over beers than over the net:beer:

Be well. I told a buddy about your school. He lives out by you and coaches little league. not sure if he’s into it, but can’t hurt to get the word out in the right circles. Plus unlike you he values my opinion:razz:

mike

quote unstpabl1:

:OhMy: What. Your disagreeing with me. How many times I got to tell you I’m always right.. Oh well the intellegent ones always agree with merofl2

Just teasingthumbsup

I’m sure you understand my con arguements as i understand your pro. To tired and lazy to get in the discussion. it was unfruitful the last time;): Besides its a better discussion over beers than over the net:beer:

Be well. I told a buddy about your school. He lives out by you and coaches little league. not sure if he’s into it, but can’t hurt to get the word out in the right circles. Plus unlike you he values my opinion:razz:

mike

As long as he promises not to use Krav on an Ump that makes a bad call.:OhMy:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: