Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Question: Telling people about your training

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    stevetuna

Re: Question: Telling people about your training

I urge all of my students to tell people about their training at Krav Maga. And about the benefits that they derive from it! I want them to tell their friends that they feel better, are more confident, are more aware and better able to walk in peace. Then I want them to invite their friends to try a class or two for free!

Word-of-mouth marketing is very important. I’ve found that the jerks who want to go and bump into people and look for a fight don’t come to Krav Maga. If they happen into a class, they don’t come back… Interesting, isn’t it?

kmky

quote stevetuna:

I urge all of my students to tell people about their training at Krav Maga. And about the benefits that they derive from it! I want them to tell their friends that they feel better, are more confident, are more aware and better able to walk in peace. Then I want them to invite their friends to try a class or two for free!

Word-of-mouth marketing is very important. I’ve found that the jerks who want to go and bump into people and look for a fight don’t come to Krav Maga. If they happen into a class, they don’t come back… Interesting, isn’t it?

I’ve increased the class size at my school by 20% since I joined when my friends see the amount of weight I’ve lost. After one of them saw me use Krav they were their the next class.

sadders

Personally I would prefer it if no one had ever head of krav.

If everyone trained in krav I have no advantage over them.

vwr32

I tell friends and family if they ask. Sometimes I wear the shirt from my school, so strangers get to read that.

Anonymous

quote MadDogMean:

Thanks for the responses. I think many people would find it an interesting and unique skill at a very corporate meeting. But I didn’t feel comfortable standing in front of 80 people and telling them about my training.

Hi MadDogMean,

I understand your reservations about talking about training in such a militant system as KM in a corporate setting. How can you talk about KM in a way that would give you kudos in a corporate setting without frightening people?

I recall that the introduction in the book Complete Krav Maga ( http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Krav-Maga-Self-Defense-Techniques/dp/1569755736/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product) has a section on how KM principles can be useful in a business environment.

Here are some further (disorganized) thoughts, hope they’ll help.

Think of soldiers – how do they talk about their work? Remember, soldiering is first and foremost about fighting and killing enemies people. After all, Krav Maga comes from a military environment. You can emphasizes risk awareness, preparedness, judgment, crisis management, effective action using skills that are effective in a highly volatile situation, and extraction from danger.

Imagine you’re a cop, and you need to train in how to be prepared to intervene in risky situations, and have a backup of skill, strength and stamina to protect yourself and your near and dear ones from harm.

Imagine you’re a half-way house between both of these – a member of the National Guard, or a voluntary member of an Auxiliary Police Force – how would you talk about your work, and preparedness for dealing with violence (both defending against it and dishing it out)?

You can talk about the camaraderie that we all enjoy so much. You can talk about the discipline, pushing yourself beyond your limits, achievement in terms of a great workout and achieving belts.

I mention my interest in KM in the same breath as my interest in First Aid – they’re both about protecting and taking care of your dear and near ones
    I addition to being a KM student, I am also an enthusiastic member of a Toastmasters Club (where members practice public speaking). I am working on a presentation about KM, and will be happy share my experience once I deliver this presentation.

tinykrav

Last Saturday at my mom’s b’day party she said to me in front of her friend, “Tell Becky about your karate classes!” Errrrrr. Okay.

As a very small female I find I get a LOT of horrified looks when I mention Krav. And several people have asked “why on earth” would I want to do that???? Of course my thought is why wouldn’t I????

A somewhat smallish guy at my church asked if I thought I could knock him down. I immediately said, “Oh I know I could.” LOL! He got rather huffy then and was highly offended I would ever think I could do such a thing. The coolest part to me was just knowing in my head that I actually could. :box:

However, with people who seem interested I brag incessantly about the amazing instructors we have at my school and encourage them to come try it out.

sdkraver

I generally keep it low key, where I worked before it became a bit of an issue where a buddy from another system kept wanting to “try” stuff with me while at work and it became a bit annoying.

It came to an end when I reflexively poked his eyes in response to a front, forearm choke that I’d never seen before, he wasn’t hurt but after that we kept our shared interest on the verbal, rather than physical level.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: